Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone here think Trump is a safe bet for Pres?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Even SHIT isn't out of place when it's in the sewers - He is aiming to be President of the largest economy in the world and to arguably become the most powerful person in the world. I am not looking to gage him against the leader of the Philippines.

He is rude and arrogant and I like everyone else would be disgusted if he spoke about my mother, daughter or sister the way he speaks about other women. I have a feeling you would be the same if he spoke about any of your female family members in that manner ?

TBH I am a lot more offended and concerned by London Mayor jihadi Khan's comments, I think his reign as Mayor is going to end badly. Trump is Gaffe prone, he can also be rude but so what? Why suddenly hold him accountable when weve had a lexicon of abuse from the left for a generation, phobias, isms. Obama wont condemn BLM even with all their race baiting and pitching the country towards a race war.

Your moral judgement is highly selective which is a diplomatic way to avoid saying hypocritical..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's a ridiculous situation with this election. We have in Trump and Clinton the only candidates who could make the other electable. Practically any other Republican candidate would be streets ahead of Clinton who is a lying, cheating, avaricious nasty piece of work but the thought of Trump as the man with his finger on the button terrifies me.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
TBH I am a lot more offended and concerned by London Mayor jihadi Khan's comments, I think his reign as Mayor is going to end badly. Trump is Gaffe prone, he can also be rude but so what? Why suddenly hold him accountable when weve had a lexicon of abuse from the left for a generation, phobias, isms. Obama wont condemn BLM even with all their race baiting and pitching the country towards a race war.

Your moral judgement is highly selective which is a diplomatic way to avoid saying hypocritical..

My ''selective'' Moral Judgement at least is based on what I believe as opposed to what I perceive yours to be. Yours in my opinion seems to be based on whether the colour of their skin is white or not - which is a diplomatic way to avoid saying ''racist''

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Serious question.

How can you do a scientific poll about stuff like this? Trump won almost every single one of those internet polls, I accept they most certainly are not scientific. But then when CNN does a scientific poll with over 60% of those 'scientifically' polled being democrats, I don't understand how that can be science? It's just throwing stuff in your pile to fit the narrative you want to put across.

The debate was a joke anyway, they went on a 2v1 personal attack against DT as opposed to asking about policies, which if the 'experts' are correct, he'd have lost convincingly anyway.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It's a ridiculous situation with this election. We have in Trump and Clinton the only candidates who could make the other electable. Practically any other Republican candidate would be streets ahead of Clinton who is a lying, cheating, avaricious nasty piece of work but the thought of Trump as the man with his finger on the button terrifies me.

I take it you did see who the 'other Republican candidates' were - to say they were scary would be putting it mildly

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I take it you did see who the 'other Republican candidates' were - to say they were scary would be putting it mildly
Yep. Would prefer Trump with his finger on the button to Ted Cruz. Trump is playing a game. Cruz believes what he says, and is one scary ****er!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep. Would prefer Trump with his finger on the button to Ted Cruz. Trump is playing a game. Cruz believes what he says, and is one scary ****er!
But Carly Fiorina is more scary than the pair of them combined :ohmy:

How is that even possible?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Yup. When you get Huckabee looking like a compromise candidate you know you're in trouble. I did like the look of Christie and I don't think I would have minded Jeb Bush too much, he's much brighter than his brother but it's a real shame that John McCain never ran. He would have been my choice as Republican.

It's a terrible election on offer though. Even the Libertarian candidate, usually a bit of a calming voice is totally out of his depth.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

My hope is that if Trump wins then he copies the Reagan formula for managing the Presidency. Reagan picked his experts and basically let them run the show: Weinberger, Baker, Schulz et al. leaving Reagan to do the whole 'vision' thing. I reckon Trump would get bored of the nitty-gritty stuff pretty quickly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My hope is that if Trump wins then he copies the Reagan formula for managing the Presidency. Reagan picked his experts and basically let them run the show: Weinberger, Baker, Schulz et al. leaving Reagan to do the whole 'vision' thing. I reckon Trump would get bored of the nitty-gritty stuff pretty quickly.
Completely agree. His real views are historically also actually a lot more liberal than the pantomime baddie that he presents now.

I'd still prefer him not to win but I don't find the prospect as terrifying as the likes of Cruz gaining power.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Completely agree. His real views are historically also actually a lot more liberal than the pantomime baddie that he presents now.

I'd still prefer him not to win but I don't find the prospect as terrifying as the likes of Cruz gaining power.

This is where I don't understand Americans. Cruz is clearly a very clever man but he believes in creationism. How does that work?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Serious question.

How can you do a scientific poll about stuff like this? Trump won almost every single one of those internet polls, I accept they most certainly are not scientific. But then when CNN does a scientific poll with over 60% of those 'scientifically' polled being democrats, I don't understand how that can be science? It's just throwing stuff in your pile to fit the narrative you want to put across.

The debate was a joke anyway, they went on a 2v1 personal attack against DT as opposed to asking about policies, which if the 'experts' are correct, he'd have lost convincingly anyway.
These internet polls are ones that you can vote on multiple times.

Bots and NSC could rig them with ease.

In fact they are not polls by any definition, just webpages with options to click.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Yup. When you get Huckabee looking like a compromise candidate you know you're in trouble. I did like the look of Christie and I don't think I would have minded Jeb Bush too much, he's much brighter than his brother but it's a real shame that John McCain never ran. He would have been my choice as Republican.

It's a terrible election on offer though. Even the Libertarian candidate, usually a bit of a calming voice is totally out of his depth.

The problem the Republicans have is they seem to manage to come up with a selection of totally unsuitable candidates who just don’t appeal to the mainstream voter, this year was a bumper crop. They did the same in 2012 when they ended up with a nominee they didn’t really want – Mitt Romney. They seem stuck in a timewarp, America has moved on but they haven’t. Ex NYC mayor Mike Bloomberg offered to stand as a third party candidate as he was so depressed by the available choice saying the American people deserved better. A lot of my friends and work colleagues will vote for Clinton – not because they like her but to stop Trump from winning. Hardly the basis for choosing the next President.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The problem the Republicans have is they seem to manage to come up with a selection of totally unsuitable candidates who just don’t appeal to the mainstream voter, this year was a bumper crop. They did the same in 2012 when they ended up with a nominee they didn’t really want – Mitt Romney. They seem stuck in a timewarp, America has moved on but they haven’t. Ex NYC mayor Mike Bloomberg offered to stand as a third party candidate as he was so depressed by the available choice saying the American people deserved better. A lot of my friends and work colleagues will vote for Clinton – not because they like her but to stop Trump from winning. Hardly the basis for choosing the next President.
I can't remember who was saying it, but the person in question was talking of a genuine split in the Republican party if Trump gets properly turned over, in November.

The problem was the 2 new parties would consist of a fairly right wing politically savvy party and a very right wing 'louder' party.
With the moderate (dare I say normal) Republicans being squeezed out entirely.

For many, 5 years of Hillary Clinton won't still troubled waters.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is where I don't understand Americans. Cruz is clearly a very clever man but he believes in creationism. How does that work?

Indoctrination from an early age, America is a deeply religious country and i would not be surprised in years to come Christain fundamentalism becomes a big problem and even certain Christian militia groups committing acts of terror or perceived new crusades.

My wife's father is a clever man, owns a very successful company he has been through a few bitter divorces and turned to God, man we went to his church when the little one was a few months old one Sunday.... Happy clappy.... Then bang god this God that, slagging off other faiths or strains of Christianity.... Then bang are you feeling down, are you weak, we are the answer.... Then bang we want your money....

I got angry after about 10min and shamelessly used my daughter as an excuse to leave, I left the auditorium and went for a walk in the Concourse pretty soon security guards found me and i said I'm ok the little one is restless... That's ok they said and took me to a room over looking the main area great big glass window... They left and then switched the lights off and..... Bang they pumped in the bloody show (that's what it basically is)... Bang I stormed out back into the hall, got Jerrys keys for the truck and sat in there with the little one....

By the way jerry is voting Trump, Wife is not....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Obama legacy doesn't look all that great. Obamacare is a mess, he failed on gun control, race relations are just terrible, his isolationist approach to Europe has helped Putin consolidate and gain influence, Obama never grasped that it is essential for the President to have a very strong relationship with at least one European country. He obviously doesn't care much for the Anglo-American historic bond and that's fair enough but he then should have built a very close partnership with Merkel who pulls all the strings in Europe. They haven't handled Syria or the Arab Spring very well although I'm not sure who could have, he's also clearly not very chummy with Israel either and he has pissed off the Israelis and a lot of his own people. It's such a delicate issue that also hasn't been handled well.

His big success is the economy where the US has recovered and then some, better than practically every other Western nation but the economy tends to be the focus when times are bad. Clinton left the White House with the country in a fantastic financial position, he was posting balanced budgets but that's hardly mentioned nowadays. Bosnia/Iraq/Lewinsky/Welfare gets all the column inches. Obama wasted a huge opportunity to go down in history as one of the great reforming Presidents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Obama legacy doesn't look all that great. Obamacare is a mess, he failed on gun control, race relations are just terrible, his isolationist approach to Europe has helped Putin consolidate and gain influence, Obama never grasped that it is essential for the President to have a very strong relationship with at least one European country. He obviously doesn't care much for the Anglo-American historic bond and that's fair enough but he then should have built a very close partnership with Merkel who pulls all the strings in Europe. They haven't handled Syria or the Arab Spring very well although I'm not sure who could have, he's also clearly not very chummy with Israel either and he has pissed off the Israelis and a lot of his own people. It's such a delicate issue that also hasn't been handled well.

His big success is the economy where the US has recovered and then some, better than practically every other Western nation but the economy tends to be the focus when times are bad. Clinton left the White House with the country in a fantastic financial position, he was posting balanced budgets but that's hardly mentioned nowadays. Bosnia/Iraq/Lewinsky/Welfare gets all the column inches. Obama wasted a huge opportunity to go down in history as one of the great reforming Presidents.
Yet Obama still rates considerably higher than Trump and Clinton.

What backfired for Obama was he hadn't been a career politician.
He thought he could make his presidency work despite congress and the senate, instead of working with them.

Once bipartisanship got thrown out of the window Obama was never going to get the support he needed through his second term for the likes of Obama care, gun control, and certainly not for international policy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Obama was never going to get the support he needed through his second term for the likes of Obama care, gun control, and certainly not for international policy.

You make some v good points about Obamacare and gun control but from the outside the isolationism looks like it comes from Obama himself. I might be wrong but there seemed to be much fewer visits by Euro leaders to Obama and vice versa than under previous Presidents.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
his isolationist approach to Europe has helped Putin consolidate and gain influence,...
Funny. All I keep hearing is how Obama's expansionism goaded Putin into adventures in the Ukraine that he'd never bother with had Obama not threatened him with encirclement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here