Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Dockerills RIP

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Used to go in the with my mum when I was little from the early 80's just to see the cat that was always in there.
I'm sure she bought light bulbs or something in there, but we definitely went in there more than we needed stuff, just so I could see the cat.

What a shame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't talk highly enough about the service they provide when I go in and ask dumb questions about DIY. They sell you screws, bolts and washers individually so you dont have to buy a blister pack with hundreds in. They know the answers to every question and usually have what you ask or suggest what you need. They have cut keys to every house I have owned. I remember when all of the building, down to the corner was Dockerills.
I am genuinely devasted.
Maybe careers as London cab drivers beckons?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That’s very sad to hear. I used to work just round the corner from there so often went in there to get stuff 20-25 years ago. Sad when these long standing independents go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very sad to see this go. Their shop front was iconic.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
When I lived in North Laine it was always the place to go for hardware, diy and bits and pieces. As someone said, they would sell you a few screws , not a large pack and friendly advice… and then there was the cat !
Sad victim of this modern world.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Based in a very old part of Brighton - I was always intrigued about its history. The cellars must be something else.
The shop that had everything you’d want and of a quality you won’t find on Amazon. Shame for employees who will find it hard to get the sort of job satisfaction that a shop like that must have given them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes. Rather sad to see it go.

I was pondering with some friends the other night, had Brighton changed quite drastically for the worse in the last 10-15 years or have we juts got older and our tastes have changed?

I suspect a bit of both .

In a world where the only people that actullay shop on the high streets are teenage girls and grannies, shops like Dockerills are doomed.

Brighton is overrun with Persian ice cream parlours, Shisha bars, nail saloons and vape shops. Gangs of phone thieves, balloon dealers, and sexual predators mill around the streets at night.

It’s like a tatty third world backstreet.

Shame but I’m very glad I don’t live there anymore.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes. Rather sad to see it go.

I was pondering with some friends the other night, had Brighton changed quite drastically for the worse in the last 10-15 years or have we juts got older and our tastes have changed?

I suspect a bit of both .

In a world where the only people that actullay shop on the high streets are teenage girls and grannies, shops like Dockerills are doomed.

Brighton is overrun with Persian ice cream parlours, Shisha bars, nail saloons and vape shops. Gangs of phone thieves, balloon dealers, and sexual predators mill around the streets at night.

It’s like a tatty third world backstreet.

Shame but I’m very glad I don’t live there anymore.
I work on Queens Road and it is an absolute dump these days. Spice heads everywhere harassing people, people stumbling about like zombies and fighting and being sick in the street, and it also seems to be turning into some kind of Chinatown at the moment. And not the good type of Chinatown that involves eating crispy Peking duck and drinking Tsing Tsao. Bubble tea, chicken shops and weird Chinese smoothy parlours.

I think it has massively gone downhill the last few years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I work on Queens Road and it is an absolute dump these days. Spice heads everywhere harassing people, people stumbling about like zombies and fighting and being sick in the street, and it also seems to be turning into some kind of Chinatown at the moment. And not the good type of Chinatown that involves eating crispy Peking duck and drinking Tsing Tsao. Bubble tea, chicken shops and weird Chinese smoothy parlours.

I think it has massively gone downhill the last few years.
Shame as this is the gateway to Brighton for many.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Real shame about Dockerills. Do like an independent local business.

Brighton seems just as scruffy and shabby as it always has been to me. Yes the way in which it’s scruffy has changed but so has society and the country in general over time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lewes Road and London Road aren’t any better
True. But a lot of visitors catch the train to Brighton and then walk down Queens Rd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here