Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Your Mates Make You Like Their Teams More Or Less?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
does having a mate who supports a different team make you like that team more or less? i know people who love to see their mates' teams do badly for 'banter' reasons but is this the same as hoping they fail exams/miss out on job promotions? or, because they're your mates' teams, do you like to see them do well and make your friends happy? for me, because one of my best mates is a pompey fan, i cannot share the hatred for them that many brighton fans have. in fact, i just booked my ticket to see them play at old trafford later this month. £30 but he's come to albion games at some shitty places.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I have a mate who is a Palarse season ticket holder :(
Obviously I want them to do badly.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
well i have no mates , but my college /work colleagues mainly support teams to piss me off ( such as palarse , arsenal , manure etc) - so they can wind me up on Monday mornings

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My brother and friend are Palace fans so I want them to do bad.

My best mates at uni were Orient and Millwall fans and I want them to do well because we sort of grouped together to form an 'axis of shit supporting teams' when we were surrounded by Premiership fancy dans.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My best friend is a Palace fan. It doesn't effect my position on them, as he is down to earth.

Another friend of mine is an Arsenal fan. His boasting wants me to see them loose I'm afraid.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
This primarily applies to Blackburn, West Ham, Watford and Leicester.

The first three I publicly lend my support to, while cheering like a madman when they lose.

The fourth I openly despise.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Difficult one this!

My old school mates are Palace fans so like to see them struggle whilst not a major hate factor that it was.

My cricket mates support a nice variety:

Forest - ambivilent. As long as I get bragging rights!!
Watford - Not fussed at all.
Chelsea - f***ing hate the flash bastards
Man U - enough said
Liverpool - Still living in the past but great piss take value at present
Wallsall - who cares really but probably would tend to see them winning
Spurs - like to see them go bust after spending loads of cash in the ransfer window!!

It's quite good that they do not all follow Premiershite teams.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Biscuit said:
My best friend is a Palace fan. It doesn't effect my position on them, as he is down to earth.

Another friend of mine is an Arsenal fan. His boasting wants me to see them loose I'm afraid.

:lolol: :wave:

Got to say that it does mean that i look out for their results and in general i do support them if they are on the TV (as long as they are not playing us).

However, i draw the line at Palarse and Gillingham they can both f**k off. Even though they are mates :lolol:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i'm lucky, all my mates dont like football, even though ive taken one to watch the Albion, twice, so hopefully got him into the Seagulls.

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Three of my mates are Arsenal fans & are as fuckin arrogant about it as Henry & Wenger- they think they have some divine right to win every game & whinge when they don't.
I bloody love it when they lose.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I like Charlton through CAFC Matt and have seen them play twice (at Soton and Chelsea) whilst he's come to numerous BHA games (Reading 2-1 away win and some others).

As for the typical Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea nonsense. Bugger 'em. I hope they all lose. :jester:

Oct 25, 2003
i was actually cheering man u just because the only really hardcore fan of either team with my lot in the providence was supporting arsenal

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
tommy boy said:
i was actually cheering man u just because the only really hardcore fan of either team with my lot in the providence was supporting arsenal
hang your head in shame :angry:

Jul 20, 2003
TiD said:
does having a mate who supports a different team make you like that team more or less? i know people who love to see their mates' teams do badly for 'banter' reasons but is this the same as hoping they fail exams/miss out on job promotions? or, because they're your mates' teams, do you like to see them do well and make your friends happy? for me, because one of my best mates is a pompey fan, i cannot share the hatred for them that many brighton fans have. in fact, i just booked my ticket to see them play at old trafford later this month. £30 but he's come to albion games at some shitty places.

that's the best question anyone's asked on here for YEARS.

One of my best friends since I was a kid is a Palace supporter. We've been to 5 Brighton/Palace together and everytime we've drawn lots to decide which end we go in ........... I've been in the away end when we lost 0-2 in the Autoglass/ZDS at the Goldstone, he's been in the away end @ Selhurst when they got lucky a couple of seasons ago.

I was with him, amongst the Palace, at Wembley when Steve Claridge scored for Leicester in injury time, in extra time - priceless. Then we had a good night out in the west-end.

My other closest friends are Port Vale, Everton, Chelsea, West Ham and Reading supporters - they all have great memories of Albion away games that I dragged them along to and are the first people on the phone to me when we get a good result.

I'm mildly chuffed to see their teams do well. None of us bother to take the piss when things aren't too good - it's only football, friends are important and footie talk is just an ice-breaker. - They all bought the Tom Hark CD - dunno if they listened to it. They all put me up for the weekend and join me when I go to away games near where they live, I do likewise if their teams are playing down here

Friends = essential

Football = a bloody brilliant thing to do for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
One friend was a Leeds fan. He was a complete plank so I hate Leeds. Come to think of it, he wasn't much of a friend.

Last edited:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got a good mate who is a Leeds fan. Top bloke. But I still despise Leeds Utd and bitch about them behind his back.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is a really good question.

I've got mates who support crap teams (Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Oxford, Dundee Utd come to mind) and I generally look out for their results and, occasionally, go to the odd game.

But the mates I have who support the bigger teams (West Ham, Chelsea, Leeds, Palace) generally get a bit of banter about it ....and I love it when they lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here