Votes: 75 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yes please, so long as the new leisure centre gets built. And the Beetham Tower in the New England area that was thrown out. At the same time, perhaps they could get rid of some of the graffiti which is everywhere and blights this city. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing the Brighton Centre go.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Thats just tomorrows slum and it looks f**king hideous. It will be a blot visible for miles around and seems to have no redeeming features.

It would be better if it were 750 yards south of its proposed location.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I love it, mainly because it annoys all the small-minded boring tossers desperate to live in some grim 1950's fantasy world.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Lord Bracknell said:
In the next decade Brighton and Hove will get TWO iconic developments. This is one of them.

The city deserves both.

The city might deserve them, though they can do that without making the 21storeys plus tall

they just look crap and will need to be overhauled in 40 years time anyway like the Brighton Centre or the Bull Ring in Brum or pulled down which wont be possible because people live there.

It will not be affordable housing for the locals and will all be bought out by Londoners

The area needs a decent new leisure facility and/or some affordable housing not a couple of f***ing sky scrapers at 300k a pop for a one bed flat blocking out the sun and peoples sea views

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
I agree with Jonathon Livingstone and Beach Hut.
People in Hove are like dinosaurs.

Well they really should capitalise on that.

I've seen cues round the block at the Natural History museum.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i live about 750 yards from the king alfred so i'm going to be massively affected by the redevelopment.

it's a big YES to the look and feel of the building, no problem with that at all. a beautiful building which will grace our part of the seafront.

and a big NO to allowing Karis to almost double the number of flats to 700 odd to line their pockets at my expense when there is no adequate provision for parking. the original plans were much better for the locals in this regard and I was more in favour. it's almost impossible to park around this area as it is, and allowing another 700 cars without proper parking is just irresponsible.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
afters said:
i live about 750 yards from the king alfred so i'm going to be massively affected by the redevelopment.

it's a big YES to the look and feel of the building, no problem with that at all. a beautiful building which will grace our part of the seafront.

and a big NO to allowing Karis to almost double the number of flats to 700 odd to line their pockets at my expense when there is no adequate provision for parking. the original plans were much better for the locals in this regard and I was more in favour. it's almost impossible to park around this area as it is, and allowing another 700 cars without proper parking is just irresponsible.

I thought all new developments had to have full and proper provision for underground parking from here on in. Certainly the case in all the greedhead schemes round Preston Park.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
afters said:
...and allowing another 700 cars without proper parking is just irresponsible.

700 flats will certainly equal over 1,000 extra cars, surely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They'll have to tarmac over the bowling greens then, won't they.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
This is another planning disaster for the city. They'll look shiny new for a year or so but after they'll quickly look tatty amd completely out of place -- a blot on the seascape. A huge mistake.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sneaky George said:
This is another planning disaster for the city. They'll look shiny new for a year or so but after they'll quickly look tatty amd completely out of place -- a blot on the seascape. A huge mistake.

Does the Guggenheim museum look tatty yet. I think that's been up just over the year now.

Would transform a very plain part of Hove seafront. Montford can boil her head - and concentrate on saving the bits of Regency Brighton and Hove that are worth it - Palmeira Square, etc.

Around the King Alfred is dull. These towers will outshine Bluebird Court, that's for sure.

[Agree that the parking situation is a worry though. Maybe they could have a park and ride, using the stadium parking at Falmer].

D

Deleted User X18H

maffew said:
The city might deserve them, though they can do that without making the 21storeys plus tall

they just look crap and will need to be overhauled in 40 years time anyway like the Brighton Centre or the Bull Ring in Brum or pulled down which wont be possible because people live there.

It will not be affordable housing for the locals and will all be bought out by Londoners

The area needs a decent new leisure facility and/or some affordable housing not a couple of f***ing sky scrapers at 300k a pop for a one bed flat blocking out the sun and peoples sea views
Here fcuking here

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Tom Hark said:
I thought all new developments had to have full and proper provision for underground parking from here on in. Certainly the case in all the greedhead schemes round Preston Park.

the plans are now online on the council website:

516 parking spaces, 754 flats plus the restaurants, sports complex etc.

double the number of parking spaces is required!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Block the views of the residents?

Do they actually have a sea view then? As far as I can see at the moment, all most residents of that part of town would be able to look out on is the hideously ugly and crumbling old King Alfred centre, a few giant advertising billboards, a car park and a manky old petrol station.

Despite their protestations about the architecture, I have a sneaking feeling that what most of the moaning residents are actually afraid of is the two scariest words in the English language for all NIMBYS:

Affordable Housing.

Poor people, moving into Hove, God no! ABC1s only, please!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Voroshilov said:
I love it, mainly because it annoys all the small-minded boring tossers desperate to live in some grim 1950's fantasy world.

:lolol: :clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes. The King Alfred development is possibly one of the ugliest parts of Brighton & Hove. I think they are a step forward. When you look at the crass designs of the latter parts of the 20th century(60s, 70s & 80s - Odeon, Hove Town Hall, Brighton Centre, West Pier Hilton, this is a great giant leap in the right direction.

I suspect people were unsure of the Brighton Pavilion when it was first planned. We must not stop progression!

I wonder how A Rowland would vote?

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Beach Hut said:
Well worth a visit the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, the most stunning building I have ever seen in my life.

I spent one hour just looking at it, amazing sight.

Oh and yes please to the building above.

What they all said. I was so bowled over by that truly amazing Guggenheim Bilbao, that its image now adorns my own website. Gehry's work is totally incredible. Hardly 'typical Hove', but maybe that's what my old hometown needs! Get on and build 'em, say I!

PS: How come the Greens support this one, but not Falmer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here