Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you use super unleaded?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I drive diesel and use the regular tesco derv, but I read a report somewhere from a motoring journalist who was sceptical about the whole super fuel option, in which he filled up and did notice an improvement.
I tried it the other week filling up with Shell Premium Optimum Super Fly Diesel before a work trip up to Hull and maybe noticed it ran a little better but not that noticeably.
My understanding is that it is supposed to give better performance, better economy and help the engine. It may be worth it every now and then but only if my company is paying for the fuel.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have a diesel, so I think I might poison it slightly if I did...

I do notice an impact on performance if I use Topaz-sourced (Tesco/"Shell"/"Statoil" (both are just rented brand names) diesel in it as compared to Esso/Emo/Maxol/Texaco, though, even starts worse at times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its all a con... except the shell optimax/vpower what ever its called. its a higher octane than anything else, which means you get a bit more power out of it (can put more air in the mix wihtout causing knock). your highish end engine will adjust to this automatically. ive heard after prolonged use stripped down engines look like new. so thats nice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I occasionally used super unleaded, when I want to look dapper and slightly reckless (but in a good way) on the garage forecourt.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
whats it got to do with you

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Definitely make a difference with Alfa twin spark engines

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
In some modern cars the engine management system will need telling if you change fuel (retarding ignition timing) , although many ems's will adapt the running to the fuel type but only after they've had several tanks of the stuff....

But as Icy aludes there are some engines which are designed to run on the higher ron fuel, with the difference being a loss in horse power of around 5-10 bhp.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
i always get stick of people that think i don't need it.

Well, when you're running 1.1 BAR boost and about 300 hp i'd rather my engine stayed in one piece!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
used to use it when repping and company paid fuel, i used to get about 20-30miles more per tank

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here