Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you use Internet Explorer?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No, Chrome, Firefox has got bloated and is hardly any quicker than IE now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
was usng firefox but it kept crashing, was using chrome for a while but it doesn't like my work server settings. Changed to Safari a couple of days ago and am very impressed with it, like the way it cleans up facebook and youtube (i'm sure the others had extensions to do the same but i never found them).

Anyway it's good pracctice for when i get my mac soon.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Interestingly, for the first time since I started my website, which has 100K visitors a month, during 2011 Firefox has become closer to the most popular browser used to view the site, previously it had always comfortably been IE. The stats for the 7 months of 2011 so far are:

IE 32.19%
Firefox 32.05%
Chrome 23.50%
Safari 8.61%
Opera 1.88%
Others making up the difference

For 2010 the stats were
IE 42.81%
Firefox 33.70%
Chrome 12.40%
Safari 7.62%
Opera 1.90%

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wonder how that study stripped out the effects of those using the internet from PCs they have no control over what browser is used?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The thing is, it depends what report you read, some say FF is fastest/best, others say IE, others say Chrome. I imagine it has a lot to do with your computer, your OS, the state of the computer, and of course the type and performance of your web connection.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Interestingly, for the first time since I started my website, which has 100K visitors a month, during 2011 Firefox has become closer to the most popular browser used to view the site, previously it had always comfortably been IE. The stats for the 7 months of 2011 so far are:

IE 32.19%
Firefox 32.05%
Chrome 23.50%
Safari 8.61%
Opera 1.88%

For 2010 the stats were
IE 42.81%
Firefox 33.70%
Chrome 12.40%
Safari 7.62%
Opera 1.90%

The reason for the popularity of Firefox is that it's almost identical graphically to IE. Most corporates use IE as a standard because all applications work with it. There are but a handful of applications that don't work with Firefox and the others. Amusingly there are a lot of legacy apps that won't work with IE 8 or 9. I've had this happen quite a lot recently and it's a factor as so many business applications are now web based. Some places do allow users to install an alternative browser and these days it tends to be Chrome rather than Firefox purely for it's speed.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've tried all of the better known browsers and although Apple say that Safari is the fastest (it may well be on a Mac) it's not on a PC, Chrome is clearly the quickest although maybe not the most user friendly. I think that IE 8 and 9 are not as user friendly as the previous versions though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here