Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you travel up or down

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gully said:
Don't you always travel "up" to the capital, regardless of where you are in relation to it?

When I go to London I usually fly into Stansted, so I would have to travel "down" at some point, otherwise the plane could never land...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
cheshunt seagull said:
I live in Herts and go down to Brighton, over to Wales, up to Sheffield and into London.

Into London is good:D

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Isn't there a thing on the railways where the lines are called up (towards London) and down (away from London)?

And.... here's a useless bit of trivia:

The London Underground because it was financed by the Americans doesn't use the traditional British up/down system and instead has North, South, East, West.

And...even more....that's the reason why they always call the trains "cars". "Move right down inside of the cars"

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
!!!!! Nerd Alert !!!!!

In railway terms all lines to London have always been "UP" and away from London "DOWN".

For me I have to go UP to the A259 and then everything is the North Country. Can never understand why road signs above the A259 do not say "The North" ! :)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I live in Maine, which is known as Down East.

The prevailing winds meant that travel SW, to Boston, was 'uphill', with much tacking or wearing, while the return trip NE to Maine was often done on one long leg, running before the wind, 'downhill'.

The name stuck even after the railroads came.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
People up north go down to London and the south.
People in the south go up to London and the north.

What the Midlanders do is their own business.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Gaffer said:
!!!!! Nerd Alert !!!!!

In railway terms all lines to London have always been "UP" and away from London "DOWN".

For me I have to go UP to the A259 and then everything is the North Country. Can never understand why road signs above the A259 do not say "The North" ! :)
Dothing the anorak you are absolutely correct.

'Up' = The running line to or in the general direction of London, or (less usually) of the companies headquarters (going back to pre nationalisation days), or, for lines wholly in Scotland, of Edinburgh, and on the (erstwhile) Taff Vale Railway up from the South Wales coast to inland destinations, the other direction being known as 'Down'.

These terms were in actual fact taken over from road coaching parlance.

Tom Hark said:
People in Eastenders go up West. What's that all about? ???

Its made up script writers bollocks, we still hav'ent heard an eastie say it yet!

Plus we amuse ourselves with East Enders increasing references to Dalston (where I live) for clubs etc and now I believe with Dalston Ali?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here