Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think that Capital Punishment is acceptable under any circumstances?

Do you think that Capital Punishment is acceptable under any circumstances?

• Yes

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 50 52.1%

• Total voters

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
bhaexpress said:
Well I hope you never find out but I would have no hesitation and would quite willingly carry out the job personally.
So how would that make you any better than the other murderer? As Samparish says above, either you accept the principle that it's wrong to kill people or you don't.

As I've said, I would make big exceptions during war-time - I think the life of the train driver to Auschwitz would have been well worth sacrificing, had the Allies decided to bomb the lines. But those considerations fall well outside peacetime judicial killings that we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
algie said:
What a load of rubbish.We are not in the 1920's no more.

And so you back this up by quoting 4000 year old scriptures...

:shootself

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
And so you back this up by quoting 4000 year old scriptures...

:shootself
And PMing some of us to encourage us to read them...which is fair enough to do and no offence taken - I might read it later if I can be arsed. But I might not because I'm not sure it has too much to do with this thread either.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Glad to see that common sense is alive and well in the majority of posters here.

The fact that more than a few people in the past have been commited for crimes they didnt commit and subsequently released means that the Death Penalty should never be allowed.

History also shows that people who were victims of capital punishment who even pleaded guilty were actually innocent of their charge.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Man of Harveys said:
And PMing some of us to encourage us to read them...which is fair enough to do and no offence taken - I might read it later if I can be arsed. But I might not because I'm not sure it has too much to do with this thread either.

If it has not much to do with this thread then the same applies to your link.It cuts both ways

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
algie said:
If it has not much to do with this thread then the same applies to your link.It cut both ways
I'm not that bothered at all. I'd say that a link to some information about what constitutes criminality is relevant to a discussion about degrees of criminal punishment. A link to bible studies might also be but is far more marginal to it. But whatever floats your boat.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
I'm not that bothered at all. I'd say that a link to some information about what constitutes criminality is relevant to a discussion about degrees of criminal punishment. A link to bible studies might also be but is far more marginal to it. But whatever floats your boat.

Tempted to FLOUNCE yet?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
algie said:
who says it's illegal?Who makes that judgement then?

Sorry I'm not quite understanding how this fits in - it is of course for (in our country) a jury to decide if what has been done is illegal, according to the relevant statutes of law (or in the case of murder, the common law). However I personally feel you cannot punish a criminal act such as murder (which is the unlawful killing of someone) with another killing. I also think in a lot of cases it's the easy way out - take Huntley's suicide attempt for example. He's having such a terrible time in prison (and rightly so) that he wishes he were dead. Thankfully, our state chooses not to grant that wish of his.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Man of Harveys said:
So how would that make you any better than the other murderer? As Samparish says above, either you accept the principle that it's wrong to kill people or you don't.

As I've said, I would make big exceptions during war-time - I think the life of the train driver to Auschwitz would have been well worth sacrificing, had the Allies decided to bomb the lines. But those considerations fall well outside peacetime judicial killings that we're talking about here.

I believe in suitable punishment. If was certain that somebody had deliberately set out to kill somebody then I believe they should receive the same fate. As far as I'm concerned giving somebody like John Wayne Gacy a lethal injection is a real let off considering how henious the crimes and those of his ilk were and sadly still are.

No moral conflict at all and I would be that the vast majority of epople would feel the same if they had one of their nearest and dearest brutally murdered.

Absolutely not. One of the principal markers of a civilised society is its position on this issue. Any polity which thinks that killing people is the answer lacks imagination, intelligence and humanity.

It's time to stop calling it 'capital punishment', and start calling it 'judicial murder'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
fatbadger said:
Absolutely not. One of the principal markers of a civilised society is its position on this issue. Any polity which thinks that killing people is the answer lacks imagination, intelligence and humanity.

It's time to stop calling it 'capital punishment', and start calling it 'judicial murder'.

There but for the grace of God .....

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
fatbadger said:

So a person that kidnaps, tortures, rapes and murders a young child deserves the right to live then?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
British Bulldog said:
So a person that kidnaps, tortures, rapes and murders a young child deserves the right to live then?

Exactly fella

Any polity which thinks that child killers,mass murderes etc should live lacks imagination, intelligence and humanity.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
algie said:
Exactly fella

Any polity which thinks that child killers,mass murderes etc should live lacks imagination, intelligence and humanity.

Trouble is there's too many f***ing do-gooders who seem to think these people are entitled to human rights! Human rights my arse, they did'nt think of they're victims human rights.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
algie said:
Exactly fella

I would argue that life in prison for those sort of people is in fact a whole lot less pleasant than death.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
samparish said:
I would argue that life in prison for those sort of people is in fact a whole lot less pleasant than death.

That actually depends on the prison. In US prisons its a living hell but here they actually make allowances for long term and lifer prisoners. The fact is they still have a life and I am pretty sure that very few would commit suicide if they were given the choice.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
algie said:
Exactly fella

Imagination? The chinese, afghans and americans are more imaginative than the british, italians and irish then?

Not f***ing likely.

Intelligence? It's not a question of intelligence at all. It comes down to an informed point of view. Some say yes, some say no.

Humanity? This is where I really take offence. Can you not see the irony in Saddam Hussein being sentenced to death for crimes against humanity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here