Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still get excited about watching England play ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry if already asked no check feature.

Just wondered if you look forward to watching England play ?

Never have. Always used to say with a touch of irony 'I'm a Brighton fan more than a football fan', but I'm pleased to say it doesn't strike me as funny anymore!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Only the 1970 world cup - when I was devastated, and the 1990 world cup - when I nearly injured myself laughing as that penalty sailed over the bar. Other than that I couldn't givea monkey's. Against the mighty who are we playing this time?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It used to be a must but now if I happen to be at home and it is on TV with wife not wanting to watch anything else I will watch it. Possibly if we needed a win to qualify I would get more excited

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I spent much of my late teens and twentys following the National team play. We had a great laugh, met some fantastic people and saw quite a lot of interesting places.

(interesting enought that one of my friends stayed in Mexico in 86, married a Mexican and became an English teacher!)

Watching 'one night in Turin ' the other night bought back some great memories.

I used to love it.

Now, I never go to Wembley, and struggle to get excited even to watch on Tv

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I find myself changing channels during the many-many-many boring bits, but I do that with most stuff on the telly. In fact I cant remember anything I've watched all the way through because of fecking five minute advert breaks! :annoyed:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Not really anymore, since South Africa 2010.

It will take a LOT to get my interest back.

Agree with this entirely.

I haven't watched a single England game since SA 2010, and nor do I intend to.

I used to get massively excited about England playing. Loved watching the games in the pub, loved the atmosphere. Now I genuinely couldn't give a shite. As bhafc99 says, it will take something extreme to get my interest back. Perhaps a exciting manager and an agreement to get rid of the players that have consistently underperformed and only play the form youth players would do the job.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't get excited as been let down so many times now lost count.

Will only ever go to the New Wembley if BHAFC play there

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Friendlies, no. Might watch the highlights if they're on the tellybox but not overly bothered

Qualification for, and participation in tournaments, yes

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Got bored watching the San Marino game and turned over to watch something else. Attending an SCFA coaching course tomorrow night (will share the tips with you on Saturday Banjo!) so might watch the highlights later on but even if I was in I would probably watch the final of the Great British Bake Off over the football.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Not at all.The build up is always over-hyped trying to make out England are a major force in World/European football,when the truth is they are not and will not be for some time to come.Boring and predictable sums up my view of the England football team.Always an anticlimax when they play.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not really these days - not sure whether it's our complete ineptitude or the fact i'm over 50, but i can't remember the last england game i got excited about

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here