Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still enjoy football now as much as you did 10 years ago?

Do you still enjoy football now as much as you did 10 years ago?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly its not about the football now but only the money and due to this more clubs than eve b4 will go into administration

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
ten years ago im pretty such i was a excited 11 year old having just returned from the priestfield after witnessing a 4-4 draw having been very much down and out at half time and having paid £2 to stand in the rainham end.....yesterday i paid £20 to watch a heartless display in south london, in a day out that cost me £60 in total and left me feeling depressed.

having said that now that falmer is in the bag things can only get better, even better if standing gets permitted at english grounds over the next few years, although i fear prices at flamer shall be sky-high for obvious reasons.

the state of the national game is depressing, in 1997 we were on course to qualify for france 98 having got to the semi's of euro 96 the previous year....now all i have to look forward to is a friendly against switzerland where ill be paying £45 for the priviledge in a wembley with zero atmosphere

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Post of the YEAR, Easy. I was going to say, "Yes I think I do", but having read that I'm not sure. My parents were never bothered about football and in fact only moved to Brighton when I was four. So it was only thanks to my friend Richard's parents who used to give me and my brother their spare South Stand tickets when they weren't using them that I got into going. This was 1992 -- just before the Barry Lloyd shit hit the fan.

Then, I could just about afford to scrape together three quid every other week to go and stand on the west terrace with a girl I fancied* and my other mates. Nowadays I live in London, earning more than the average wage for a person in the capital, and I simply can't be bothered to faff about getting tickets in advance, and paying 25 pounds plus a booking fee, to go and sit on an uncovered lego stand, with not enough room for my legs, among different strangers every time.

I got swept up in the campaign against Archer and Bellotti very readily and, looking back on it, enjoyed the cameraderie of those times and the friends I made. Now the Falmer fight is over, we'll never get whipped up in that sort of we-can-do-it fervour again, and I sort of miss it. In ten years we'll either become a mid-table Championship side in quite a nice stadium, or we'll have gone bust. I'm slightly annoyed that there's nothing I can do to influence what happens, which is probably why I don't go so much any more.

*Who, annoyingly, I never got together with. It was even more annoying when my brother slept with her sister.

Cheers Pev (mind you, if that was post of the year, this place has really gone downhill ;) )

I know its easy to look back with rose-tinted specs and think everything was far better in the "old days". But in this case, I absolutely believe it was. One of the reasons I'm really looking forward to Yeovil is because its an open terrace to stand on - I CHERISH those now. Its a completely different football experience to sitting there in your allotted seat week in, week out.

I'm just yearning for a SURGE

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
One of the most disheartening things about yesterday apart from the shower of shit the team was, was the fact that once the team had come out, everyone SAT DOWN. that wouldnt have happened 2 years ago, the atmosphere wouldve been buzzing! THAT'S what is not helping the buzz that we used to get.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
One of the most disheartening things about yesterday apart from the shower of shit the team was, was the fact that once the team had come out, everyone SAT DOWN. that wouldnt have happened 2 years ago, the atmosphere wouldve been buzzing! THAT'S what is not helping the buzz that we used to get.

Yeah thought that was really odd myself, the stewards didn't have to say a word! We were 3rd row from the back and when everyone in front sat down "ah well, here we go", yet the stewards didn't say a word and let us stand the whole game. Yet most people sat anyway!

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
yep still get the buzz watching and playing,more so now that my son is bha mad and playing at a academy and looks like he will be useful as he gets older

Just out of interest which academy?

I love football, I was only 5 10 years ago and was only just starting to get into it, now I love it, playing, watching, everything. It out does any other sport/hobbie by miles.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
As Easy mentions, I think that the introduction of all-seater stadia requirements have played a big part in my decline of enthusiasm for the 'beautiful game'. I'm 26 now, and 10 years ago we were (mostly) all just getting over the loss of the Goldstone. One of my first games watching the Albion was the Play-Off Final defeat against Notts County (and despite only being 10 at the time, I still hate Tommy Johnson). After that, it was a few games with my Dad sat in the South Stand, enviously looking down the pitch upon the North Stand where all the atmosphere seemed to be coming from.

As soon as I was old enough, I was in there almost every home game. £5.50 a ticket - pay on the gate, and I could stand with my mates and the goals weren't just about the Albion, it was about the mad surge that would inevitably happen and the fear for our lives. I loved every second of it. Even the defeat at home to Canvey Island (or was it Kingstonian) when I looked around and saw the faces of grown men all around me, and we all had a tear in our eye at what we'd just witnessed. There was an immense noise and buzz about the place.

Nowadays, I work abroad so I rarely get to many games. I did manage the 9-0 (was it? I lost count) against Northwhich Victoria last year, which was a pretty decent game to make my only visit of the season! And this year I was able to get along to see the Walsall and one of the Cheltenham games. Yet I had to sit on my own, since my other Albion supporting mates have season tickets. No atmosphere, no friendly chat. It was depressing. Particularly since it pissed down with rain for one of the matches.

The loss of terracing has made a huge impact, for me personally, not helped by the ticket prices - though I do understand the financial constraints of the club, and therefore I obligingly pay what I must. In terms of football in general - I still look forward to the big matches on TV, though am usually disappointed by the performances. With England, I just give up completely and only really tend to watch a game if there's others interested and theres a few drinks involved as a distraction.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Terraces - thats what football is about.

My mate is paying £61.00 on Saturday to see west ham v Man U - too much.

I used to get to Brighton and pay to get in on me paper round money, mingd you that was in 1921

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't enjoy international football as much as I used to. The last two World Cups have been really dull with no memorable matches and low quality football. And of course, the England team, although they were mediocre ten years ago, are even worse today.

But I still love the club game and my enjoyment here has not changed.

Jul 20, 2003
Absolutely not, no. All-seater has killed it for me. I still go because I love the Albion, and its still a chance to meet up regularly with my mates (some of whom I'd see once in a blue moon if it wasn't for meeting up at the games). But all spontenaity (sp?) has gone out of the game. You can't roll up to the ground on a whim any more, stand where you like, with who you like, or take someone along without planning it days or weeks in advance. Theres no atmosphere any more, no jumping around, no cameraderie.

Football is shit these days, and its going to die on its arse at this level, as there is a whole generation of disenfranchised kids who have never picked up the bug how us 30-somethings did 20-odd years ago by meeting up with mates on the terraces. Prices are ridiculous which means kids have to rely on adults taking them along. And sitting there with your dad is fine when you're younger, but when you reach your mid to late teens and want to go with all your mates - you can't.

Its rubbish now.

BINGO!

one of the best TRUTHS ever put on here

NUTSHELL!!!

Jul 20, 2003
last season was the the first time since 1978 that I didn't go to see 'us'*

haven't been this season and won't

* am I allowed to use the word 'us' anymore?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ask me 2 years ago and I'd say no but taking my kiddies along to see the Albion has rekindled my love for the team.

Can't say that I watch MOTD half as much as I used to but seeing my 8 year old getting into Brighton like I did at his age...well, it's heartwarming.

Ironic really that we have Easy's view which I can fully understand and mine in the same thread and they seem diametrically opposed. I really wouldn't worry, Easy about kiddies following the Albion. Get 'em young enough and nature will do the rest. My eldest practically sleeps in his Albion top. Anyone who doubts it get along to the family stand against Bournemouth and see that we have a very bright future with regard to Albion fans.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm. I wonder what response this thread would have got if it had been posted on the back of a 3-0 win at Millwall coupled with Savage signing his contract ("It was never in doubt, I love it here.") and George O'C saying what a fantastic club this was.

I'm probably about the same as I was 10 years ago. I AM looking forward to Falmer, but I do agree with Easy 10 that high prices and all-seater stadia (which is as stupid a concept as all-seater dance halls) have taken the old enjoyment out of it. Also the 'no tickets at the stadium' problem with Withdean is another factor.

However I don't think it's just us. If you watch The Big League on Sky Sports where they show the three non-Premiership divisions you'll see vast acres of empty seats at almost every ground. Everyone thinks tickets are too expensive and most fans would like to see the re-introduction of some sort of 'safe standing' areas. I do think that football at this level is unsustainable in it's current form, so perhaps change (either voluntary or enforced) is around the corner.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely not, no. All-seater has killed it for me. I still go because I love the Albion, and its still a chance to meet up regularly with my mates (some of whom I'd see once in a blue moon if it wasn't for meeting up at the games). But all spontenaity (sp?) has gone out of the game. You can't roll up to the ground on a whim any more, stand where you like, with who you like, or take someone along without planning it days or weeks in advance. Theres no atmosphere any more, no jumping around, no cameraderie.

Football is shit these days, and its going to die on its arse at this level, as there is a whole generation of disenfranchised kids who have never picked up the bug how us 30-somethings did 20-odd years ago by meeting up with mates on the terraces. Prices are ridiculous which means kids have to rely on adults taking them along. And sitting there with your dad is fine when you're younger, but when you reach your mid to late teens and want to go with all your mates - you can't.

Its rubbish now.

I too totally agree with this post.I know you have to move on but how i miss just turning up and standing in the Northstand.fantastic days no matter what the result.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a very difficult question. Most of my fave Albion childhood memories are from 1982-1988 ish, which of course is over 20 years ago. But not much has changed in the last TEN years really, so I said "yes" to the poll.

But the thing is, my halcyon days of that 80s era are probably not representative of how football really used to be. The terraces and cheap prices were ACE of course, and in those days we really were Crystal Palace's proper rivals (& Portsmouth's to a lesser extent), but in those days, the rules and lower fitness levels meant there were far more shit games than there are now. And the less said about the "facilities", the better. And the crowd trouble.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I prefer to go the races on Saturdays now, so yes I have lost a bit of interest in the Albion England and football in general.
Racing is probably the best value spectator sport.
Rugby and cricket treat their punters much better. You can watch and have a beer at the same time.
Non-league football is an area of improvement as across the country the standard is higher and the facilities are surprisingly good. Although even this is getting more expensive.
I'm still addicted to the Albion but rarely watch bigger teams as a neutral as all-seater stadia have discouraged the non-committed.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It's a very difficult question. Most of my fave Albion childhood memories are from 1982-1988 ish, which of course is over 20 years ago. But not much has changed in the last TEN years really, so I said "yes" to the poll.

But the thing is, my halcyon days of that 80s era are probably not representative of how football really used to be. The terraces and cheap prices were ACE of course, and in those days we really were Crystal Palace's proper rivals (& Portsmouth's to a lesser extent), but in those days, the rules and lower fitness levels meant there were far more shit games than there are now. And the less said about the "facilities", the better. And the crowd trouble.

I agree with this... my years were 1977-82 and those were just amazing. I was abroad ten years ago so I can say nothing's really changed but I'd die for an evening midweek fixture standing at the Goldstone.....and the image I'll probabaly die with will be a Saturday sunny spring afternoon with the sound of seagulls mingling in with the hum of the crowd before the match... in those few seconds before GOSBTS.

Sep 20, 2005
The laughingly-named Premier League has ruined football in this country. And anyone who pays for Sky Sports on their TV has been complicit in the game's destruction.
Sorry, but it's true.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Sadly no! Haven't seen the Albion for a good 3.5 years now, and despite having Sky Sports, rarely watch any of the footie. Haven't watched a Champions League game for a while either.
For me Rugby has taken over as sport of choice, with other pressures dictating I don't get down to Sussex very often. That said, I make a point of catching the Albion score on the radio in the car or TV if I'm in, and follow the fortunes of the team in the media and NSC. Will make an effort to get to a game soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here