Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you remember your first Albion AWAY Cup game

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Chelsea away lost 4-0 in the FA cup replay, 1965 I think, went on a coach from Worthing, it was full when we got there and could not get in at first, then some dads managed to 'open' a gate at back of the shed and we all
Got in, it was packed, did not really see a thing at the back, but great experience for a youngster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not surprised. The attendance that night was 54,000 and a bit. 35,000 at the Goldstone for the first game. Those were the days when the FA Cup really did mean something.
By the way the match was played Jan/Feb 1967.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
January 28th 1967

F.A. Cup Third Round

I travelled to Aldershot. The pitch was muddy, almost unplayable; Kit Napier missed the only real chance of the game and it ended 0-0. Watched the February replay - and this time we won 3-1. Next up was Chelsea at the Goldstone....

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Pretty sure it was Bournemouth away, FA Cup first round, early 90s. From memory, we scored in the first minute, ended up losing, and got drenched! Not a great day.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
League Cup - Arsenal 1979 Lost 4-0 Memorable for Glen Geards 45 minutes in an Albion shirt
FA Cup - Mansfield Town 1980 Won 2-0 For some reason we decided to go by coach rather than drive, lost a fair amount playing cards
Sherpa Vans Trophy - Fulham 1987 Won 6-1 To that point biggest away win I had seen

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Bath City in the second round of the FA Cup 1966/67 season.
A 5-0 win for the Albion.
We reached the heady heights of the 4th Round that year, losing 4-0 to Chelsea in a replay after a 1-1 draw at The Goldstone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Chelsea away lost 4-0 in the FA cup replay, 1965 I think, went on a coach from Worthing, it was full when we got there and could not get in at first, then some dads managed to 'open' a gate at back of the shed and we all
Got in, it was packed, did not really see a thing at the back, but great experience for a youngster.

The same but I went up by train.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Aldershot - 3rd Round 1967. Went on a steam train (I vaguely remember - or certainly a very old one !) - raining all day. Rumours match was off, but it was eventually on and a 0-0 draw. The replay prize was the home tie with Tommy Docherty's Chelsea. I think there were over 12000 at Aldershot that day.
My first too - actually my first ever Albion match. Don't know what the crowd was, but the ground was certainly rammed - in the crush heading out after the game I found I could lift both feet off the ground and still keep moving slowly towards the exit!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Norwich City in the Zenith Data Systems Cup in November 1989. Was just after my 18th birthday and I think there were 47 of us there in total, though Brighton still got the seats and terrace option. We went by train but a mate who went by minibus was nicked for weeing up a wall about 10 yards away from an actual toilet. We lost 5-0 and spent most of the second half doing the conga round the terrace led by a bloke with a pair of (I assume purchased from the club shop and not a "trophy") Norwich City knickers on his head. Afterwards we got the last train back to London, walked from Liverpool St to Victoria, got as far as Gatwick, crashed for an hour then first train from there.

My first FA Cup away was Oldham the same season. All I can remember of that was that it was ****ing cold and we lost. Though if I was going to have a bet I'd suggest we lunched on ale and cheese in the Sam Smith's pub in Manchester pre game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Walter and Hersham in the FA Cup…. Them having a disallowed goal in the 1st minute…… Brighton fans running amok…… ending 0-0……. On Tony / Ian Noris’s coach out of Worthing.

And that’s where we leave it.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I’m not surprised. The attendance that night was 54,000 and a bit. 35,000 at the Goldstone for the first game. Those were the days when the FA Cup really did mean something.
By the way the match was played Jan/Feb 1967.

You are correct, 1967, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FC Copenhagen vs Brighton, august 2023. Champions League playoff round.

Maupay and Connolly scoring two each, Zaha coming on as a sub scoring the fifth after aquiring him from the bankrupt Crystal Palace. Would have had another if Trossard didnt hit the woodwork. Attacking midfielder Dan Burn man of the match, just like in the World Cup final 2022 (the one England lost on penalties despite Jason Steele saving eight of them, as Bayern/Barca co-owned Sanchez saved nine). All of this despite super signings Giroud, Mitrovic and Derbyshire being out with injuries.

Danes showed respect though, applauding when Sir King Graham Potter lifted his diamond crown to bow to the audience, on this special day including playing FIFA-president Yves Bissouma.

Also very nice hashish before and after the game.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Watford Jan 2011. 1-0 Barnes. Bit sproggy compared to some of you, but we’ve all got to start somewhere.

I can’t really remember much from the game (even from 2011!) Think the ball slipped through the keepers fingers for the goal, and Will Buckley played for Watford at the time…

Not as good as my first ever league away game against Charlton that same season though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
FC Copenhagen vs Brighton, august 2023. Champions League playoff round.

Maupay and Connolly scoring two each, Zaha coming on as a sub scoring the fifth after aquiring him from the bankrupt Crystal Palace. Would have had another if Trossard didnt hit the woodwork. Attacking midfielder Dan Burn man of the match, just like in the World Cup final 2022 (the one England lost on penalties despite Jason Steele saving eight of them, as Bayern/Barca co-owned Sanchez saved nine). All of this despite super signings Giroud, Mitrovic and Derbyshire being out with injuries.

Danes showed respect though, applauding when Sir King Graham Potter lifted his diamond crown to bow to the audience, on this special day including playing FIFA-president Yves Bissouma.

Also very nice hashish before and after the game.

Oh no, did Biss get a career ending injury? :down:

Ah I see he was a PLAYING FIFA president, bloody hell Swanny you have got a top notch dealer

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Bradford City Simod cup circa 1987 I went with a City supporting school chum in the City Kop. They won 3-1 I think Paul Jewell scored one of theirs and Nelson scored ours there were about 60 Albion fans in attendance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here