Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you mention Sussex when giving your address?

Do you mention Sussex when giving your address?

• Total voters

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I put Sussex-By-The-Sea

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course it will. A number and postcode pinpoints a house.
If you just put Worthing West Sussex there are thousands of houses in the area.

:lolol:

Ok being pedantic are we. How about 97 Tarring Road Worthing Sussex if that is where the letter is destined for, will take longer than 97 Tarring Rd WORTHING BN11 4BB. or whatever is the postcode.

Is there such a place as Sussex now or is it West Sussex and East Sussex

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Argus in non-story shock.

Sussex hasn't been part of your postal address for ten years or more. Royal Mail don't use counties and haven't done so for at least this long. Postcodes are the key bit, along with house name and number.
This Argus "story" is just about Royal Mail not including the County in the Postcode Address File, to save data space on this huge file.

The problem I find is that companies using Royal Mail postcode software haven't bothered to update it since they first bought it. According to them Grimsby is still in South Humberside , a local authority that was disbanded in 1996.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
yeah always stick East Sussex on the end :)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Part of the reason I put Sussex is because I'm proud to come from here. If I lived an a shit county like Surrey, Kent, Hampshire or Yorkshire I probably wouldn't bother.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
If I need to write down my place of birth I now always put City of Brighton & Hove.

Sussex is easy to deal with.

What if you lived in Berwick-upon-Tweed?

Northumberland, England? Or Berwickshire, Scotland?

The Tourist Information Centre there gives its address as:-
106 Marygate
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Northumberland
TD15 1BN

"TD" is the postcode for Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Cockburnspath, Coldstream, Cornhill-on-Tweed, Duns, Earlston, Eyemouth, Galashiels, Gordon, Hawick, Jedburgh, Kelso, Lauder, Melrose, Mindrum, Newcastleton and Selkirk. Almost all of these places are in Scotland.

The Post Office is systematically DESTROYING any sense of heritage that belongs to particular places.

Incidentally ... the most recent communication I have received from the football club was addressed to me at:-

Name
Street
Lewes
BN8 6**

No mention at all of either "East Sussex" or the village in which I live. Lewes is six miles away.

The letter (first class) arrived without any delay, a day after it was posted.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
What a load of bollocks, Brighton and Hove Albion FC, EAST Sussex club, always has and always will be. Having said that though without the East / West Sussex support (and believe it or not West Kent, Tunbridge Wells areas) the club would be dead. Its a county wide club and the support is coming back via the new Amex Stadium.

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
A house number (or name) and postcode is all that's required as a return address on a parcel, so I guess that's all that's necessary for a postal address; the streetname and town in a postal address probably serves as contingency in case the sender made a mistake writing the postcode.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Always Hastings, East Sussex so yeah. God's own county but unfortunately it's the ar$ehole region so always give that extra Sussex detail. People have a very different image of Hastings and of Sussex. If I could get away with putting 'Old Town Hastings' I would :drink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What gets me is the number of organisations (including the BBC) who say 'Brighton, West Sussex'.

Another thing is that Derek Chapman's firm Adenstar put 'Portslade, West Sussex' as their address. Portslade (ceremonially) is in East Sussex, though the office is about 40 yards into West Sussex. It's actually in Fishersgate but, he says, no-one outside the area has heard of Fishersgate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here