Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you mention Sussex when giving your address?

Do you mention Sussex when giving your address?

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I live in Brighton, so there is no need to state which county I'm in because EVERYBODY knows Brighton.

However if I lived in Hassocks or somewhere shit like that I probably would write WEST SUSSEX in my address, particularly as it has a Redhill postcode which might mean people thought you lived in the slums of Surrey rather than god's own county.

Having said that I think I only use BRIGHTON when giving out my address as I'm proud of it. I know full well that when anyone asks for your address all they want is your house number and postcode.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hassocks doesn't have a Redhill postcode.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I just put Southwick, Brighton (obviously I put the street address and postcode too)

Never know whether to put East or West anyway, as I live in W Sx.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never put the county on any address. I just put Bolton & postcode or Worthing BN? whatever. Was told bya postman that the county is not required if you put No 26 AB1 2CD it will find its way to that postcoded address quicker than just putting e.g Worthing West Sussex

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Only if asked.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really?

My mistake. I thought it'd be the same as Haywards Heath

Nah. Hassocks & Hurstpierpoint have Brighton postcodes (BN6).

The RH prefix starts around Burgess Hill and upwards.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Was told by a postman that the county is not required if you put No 26 AB1 2CD it will find its way to that postcoded address quicker than just putting e.g Worthing West Sussex

Of course it will. A number and postcode pinpoints a house.
If you just put Worthing West Sussex there are thousands of houses in the area.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know it makes no difference anymore as the house number/name, street, town and postcode are all that's needed but it seems like an extra safeguard also putting the county, so I do :shrug:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I know it makes no difference anymore as the house number/name, street, town and postcode are all that's needed but it seems like an extra safeguard also putting the county, so I do :shrug:

It is icy,well done mate.There are at least 3 shorehams in the uk if you put sussex, that must help.You want to see how many fishersgate preston that arrive in our office every day.Royal mail would have you believe that is ok.Its total bollox.I do queens road,southwick I recon i get half the mail for the albion shop every day.128 queens road,yes i know.put sussex on it,fact.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I always say Sussex instead of West Sussex, don't ask my why I don't really know!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Unfortunately I don't live in Sussex but I always add Sussex, either East or West, when writing or sending cards to family.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
No.I live in Somerset,and ALWAYS write SOMERSET in my address.

To boast,like.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nah. Hassocks & Hurstpierpoint have Brighton postcodes (BN6).

The RH prefix starts around Burgess Hill and upwards.

Sadly Edna I have to inform you that the RH influence goes as far south as Storrington...which is RH20.

I also live outside God's county...but take great pride in telling people that I grew up in "West" Sussex.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Argus in non-story shock.

Sussex hasn't been part of your postal address for ten years or more. Royal Mail don't use counties and haven't done so for at least this long. Postcodes are the key bit, along with house name and number.
This Argus "story" is just about Royal Mail not including the County in the Postcode Address File, to save data space on this huge file.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
I just put Southwick, Brighton (obviously I put the street address and postcode too)

Never know whether to put East or West anyway, as I live in W Sx.

why put southwick,brighton

southwick last time i looked was clearly not in brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here