Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Do you know who Shohei Ohtani is?

Do you know who Shohei Ohtani is?

• Yes

Votes: 55 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 158 75.6%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A quick google search would suggest that baseball is the most popular sport in nine countries.

Does cricket REALLY have a much bigger geographical spread than baseball? I'm not convinced.

I, for one, have never heard of Virat Kohli (because although I used to follow cricket when I lived in the UK, since moving over here it has fallen completely off my radar).
It's more that everyone in India will know Kohli - that's 1.4bn people immediately.

Your baseball nine are, I think...

Cuba - 11m
Dominican Republic - 11m
Japan - 125m
Nicaragua - 7m
Palau - 0 essentially
Panama - 4m
Puerto Rico - 3m
Taiwan - 23m
Venezuela - 28m

So, that's 212m people. We can add in the US (333m), Canada (39m) and give you Mexico too (127m) and you get to about half the population of India. Kohli then has all the Indians not currently living in India, as well as all cricket-playing nations.

I'm struggling to think there are more people in the world who know Ohtani is than know who Kohli is.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I thought you meant Shinjiro Otani, who I've obviously heard of but would be nowhere near the most famous person in his chosen sport let alone anything else.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's more that everyone in India will know Kohli - that's 1.4bn people immediately.

Cuba - 11m
Dominican Republic - 11m
Japan - 125m
Nicaragua - 7m
Palau - 0 essentially
Panama - 4m
Puerto Rico - 3m
Taiwan - 23m
Venezuela - 28m

So, that's 212m people. We can add in the US (333m), Canada (39m) and give you Mexico too (127m) and you get to about half the population of India. Kohli then has all the Indians not currently living in India, as well as all cricket-playing nations.

I'm struggling to think there are more people in the world who know Ohtani is than know who Kohli is.
And that is why I specifically said "geographical spread" rather than population. And I also wouldn't claim that more people have heard of Ohtani than Kohli.

Interestingly, I believe that MLB are making efforts to grow the game in India. A lad (Arjun Nimmala) with Indian heritage was drafted by the Blue Jays at position 20 last year and MLB produced an interesting documentary that looked at his story and followed him on a trip to the mother country (he was actually born in Florida but his parents emigrated from India):-

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
And that is why I specifically said "geographical spread" rather than population. And I also wouldn't claim that more people have heard of Ohtani than Kohli.

Interestingly, I believe that MLB are making efforts to grow the game in India. A lad (Arjun Nimmala) with Indian heritage was drafted by the Blue Jays at position 20 last year and MLB produced an interesting documentary that looked at his story and followed him on a trip to the mother country (he was actually born in Florida but his parents emigrated from India):-

Not overlooking the Million Dollar Arm efforts in the early noughties. Didn't one or two get contracts from this?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not overlooking the Million Dollar Arm efforts in the early noughties. Didn't one or two get contracts from this?
Had never heard of that before your post.

Doing a google search, two guys were signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates but although one spent a few years in the minor leagues, neither ever reached the big leagues (although one of them became a WWE wrestler, apparently!).

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
I don't think Ohtani is amongst top 10 most famous sportsmen in the world. There are lot of footballers and basketball players who are more recognisable than him.

What I would say though is that Ohtani is currently the best athlete in the world. Nobody can do what he's doing. He's just unique.

It's called the World Series because it was created by a US newspaper called The World. It is their series.
Fancy calling Britain great

Cuba - 11m
Dominican Republic - 11m
Japan - 125m
Nicaragua - 7m
Palau - 0 essentially
Panama - 4m
Puerto Rico - 3m
Taiwan - 23m
Venezuela - 28m

I think you underestimating Yankee imperialism and their ability to push their cultural product virtually everywhere

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
As baseball is - I think fairly reliably? - thought to have its origins in the Sussex game of stoolball (perhaps not surprisingly given the prominent Sussex links to Pennsylvania and Delaware etc) I looked for a link between Sussex and Los Angeles so we could try and claim some reflected glory. Couldn’t find much, but there’s a copy of the church in Rottingdean in some LA memorial gardens so that’ll have to do.

Attachments

• IMG_8790.png
    IMG_8790.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8789.jpeg
    IMG_8789.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
I think you underestimating Yankee imperialism and their ability to push their cultural product virtually everywhere
With respect, I think you may be underestimating America’s popular (in the sense of working class, notwithstanding some rich investores0 culture, like baseball, jazz, bluegrass, zydeco, etc. This really isn’t like Elon Musk or the Facebook guy pushing their money-making crap around the globe

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

In terms of geographic spread, cricket's played at the test level in twelve countries spread across every continent. Off the top of my head I struggle to think of a major sport other than football that is clearly more widely distributed. You can obviously whack the diaspora from various cricketing countries (mainly India really) around the world onto that.

I guess basketball is up there in terms of being played all around the world. Only needing a ball and some sort of net/basket/whatever generally helps with these things. Ice hockey's pretty widely spread within a band around the Northern hemisphere.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't think American or not makes any difference. The vast majority of Brits would not be able to name a single baseball player, past or present.
I'd be disappointed if a lot of Brits in the 25-40 age range couldn't name at least some of Roger Clemens, Mike Sciosa, Wade Boggs, Jose Canseco, Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Junior, Steve Sax, Ozzie Smith and Darryl Strawberry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here