Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Do you know who Shohei Ohtani is?

Do you know who Shohei Ohtani is?

• Yes

Votes: 54 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 153 75.4%

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was talking to some friends about Shohei Ohtani when one of them said that he was one of the most famous sportsmen in the world.

Now, he's undeniably incredibly famous in Japan and probably pretty famous in the states but is he really famous the world over? This isn't a question of his ability(there is no question - he's one of the all time greats in his chosen field) or whether he should be famous but if he is actually famous the world over.

So, do YOU know who he is?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was talking to some friends about Shohei Ohtani when one of them said that he was one of the most famous sportsmen in the world.

Now, he's undeniably incredibly famous in Japan and probably pretty famous in the states but is he really famous the world over? This isn't a question of his ability(there is no question - he's one of the all time greats in his chosen field) or whether he should be famous but if he is actually famous the world over.

So, do YOU know who he is?
Wouldn’t say he’s the most famous. Certainly one of the highest paid though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Googled him and it is the sport I thought of, but still never heard of him. I have, however, heard of the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters who he played for, which remain one of my favourite team names ever

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If you even have a passing interest he's by far the most famous baseball player in the world at the moment.

If you don't have any interest in baseball then you'll have no chance of knowing who he is.

I guess this would essentially be the same as asking Americans who Ben Stokes/Virat Kohli is...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bugger.

Can you fix that please?

To be fair Ohtani would have been at primary school when you were here.
Tried but computer says no (to continue the Little Britain catch phrases).

1728043275932.png

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I guessed Sumo Wrestler - wrong!

Is your friend a Yank perchance?
No, a mix of brits and japanese but we're all living in Japan so we obviously know who he is.

It's an interesting question because he's genuinely phenomenal in his sport but it doesn't have major global appeal so i was wondering if he has transcended that limitation.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I've seen him mentioned a time or two, and could (correctly) recall the sport and position he plays. So I voted "yes" given the wording of the question.

But would I have named him if asked about famous sportspeople? Nope, never. For that I would have gone with footballers, Formula 1 / Indycar / motorsports drivers, Moto GP riders, cricketers, and maybe 1 or 2 names from baseball / basketball / NFL in the US (depending on who popped into mind on any given day).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
No, a mix of brits and japanese but we're all living in Japan so we obviously know who he is.

It's an interesting question because he's genuinely phenomenal in his sport but it doesn't have major global appeal so i was wondering if he has transcended that limitation.
Does Cole Palmer have worldwide recognition, especially in the USA and Canada though?

I confess to struggling to know many except the most famous cricketers as I have zero interest though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do, yes, but I suspect 95%, or more, of Brits would have no idea at all, and given it's a relatively niche sport, his fame may not extend too far outside of the US and Japan.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I voted Yes but if he’s not the person involved in the gambling scandal then I have voted incorrectly.

I would be able to name a good few current NBA players and a handful of NHL players but MLB is almost tied with NHL and NASCAR on 0.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here