Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Do you know who I am?"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Has anyone else ever actually heard someone say this?

I was once the end of this from our very own Ian Hart, who was ever-so-slightly the worse for drink me thinks.

It was after a game down in the West Country somewhere, and as I remember it, some fella was in front of us queuing for Wimpey / B-King / McD food at a service station. I was chatting to my friends about the game and the Albion in general when the drunk guy in front started turning round and offering his opinion on stuff. I think it was "inside info" type things on players, or signings or something, and I just couldn't see how this bloke would know, so I questioned,

"and how would you know all of this anyway mate?"
To which he stood up a little straighter, and with a look of surprise in his face he uttered,
"Do you know who I am?"
"No mate, sorry, should I?"

He looked a little crest-fallen as my friends had to explain to me.
:lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Working in show security at the centre we get that all the time if we stop some one going back stage without a pass.

Is that just people trying it on, or have you had famous faces pulling that one? If it's the latter, c'mon, name names. What's the most minor celeb who has tried that to get in?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I once used it way back when I worked in a crappy call centre getting abused by the public. The person said no so I said, "well f*** off then" and hung up.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Is that just people trying it on, or have you had famous faces pulling that one? If it's the latter, c'mon, name names. What's the most minor celeb who has tried that to get in?

The answer is both types,as for names,can't divulge but one keeps turning up without ticket or pass and always gets turned away.

This person gained 24m not so long ago.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I worked on Hotel du Vin magazine, and a few of us were trying to get in there for late evening drinks, the doorman stopped us.

So my work colleague, who sold ad space in the magazine came up with that absolute pearler of a line 'do you know who I am?', purely on the back of having had a meeting with the manager two days before.

Needless to say the rest of us were half way up the street by the time she'd finished her tirade.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
During the last Labour Party conference at the Brighton Centre, I had the joyless task of searching vehicles entering the Churchill Square car parks.

One afternoon, a young bloke made his way slowly through the queue, and complained grumpily about having to have his flash motor searched along with all the mere mortals.
I explained the situation, the tight security and so on, unfailingly polite despite it being probably my hundredth car of the day.

Then came the "Do you know who I am?" from the driver, and the implication that he'd only been stopped because he was black (conveniently ignoring the fact that every single car was being checked, even those driven by white haired Caucasian grannies).

So I pretended I'd never heard of Colin Kazim-Richards, and made sure my colleagues gave his car a dutifully thorough search

:lolol:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
During the last Labour Party conference at the Brighton Centre, I had the joyless task of searching vehicles entering the Churchill Square car parks.

One afternoon, a young bloke made his way slowly through the queue, and complained grumpily about having to have his flash motor searched along with all the mere mortals.
I explained the situation, the tight security and so on, unfailingly polite despite it being probably my hundredth car of the day.

Then came the "Do you know who I am?" from the driver, and the implication that he'd only been stopped because he was black (conveniently ignoring the fact that every single car was being checked, even those driven by white haired Caucasian grannies).

So I pretended I'd never heard of Colin Kazim-Richards, and made sure my colleagues gave his car a dutifully thorough search

What did he actually do or say to give the implication that he thought he'd only been stopped because he was black btw?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

And what did they find ? i bet it was not his scoring boots :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What did he actually do or say to give the implication that he thought he'd only been stopped because he was black btw?

Can't remember exactly, this was, what, two or three years ago (it was when the players all came down for the Falmer march outside the Brighton Centre), but it was something along the lines of him always being pulled over because of his nice car, etc etc.

One of my colleagues pointed out that everyone else was being stopped too, and asked him what was with the attitude, so he said he was "tired" because he'd been training that morning. These footballers eh, three hours training. It's a tough old life.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course the only way of dealing with the 'Do you know who I am?' brigade (and I've seen it done) is to announce very loudly in a public place: 'Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please! Does anybody who know who this gentleman is. He appears to be suffering from amnesia!'. Followed swiftly, and equally loudly, by: 'Don't worry sir, stay perfectly calm, we'll have an ambulance with you as soon as we can' :lol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
best anecdote ive heard is someone at an airport check in desk who uttered the immortal "do you know who i am ?" line, the woman at the desk just turned to her colleague and said " could you possibly come over here to help , ive got someone who doesnt know who he is !!" exit one crestfallen tosser !

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Can't remember exactly, this was, what, two or three years ago (it was when the players all came down for the Falmer march outside the Brighton Centre), but it was something along the lines of him always being pulled over because of his nice car, etc etc.

One of my colleagues pointed out that everyone else was being stopped too, and asked him what was with the attitude, so he said he was "tired" because he'd been training that morning. These footballers eh, three hours training. It's a tough old life.

Yep, they should get paid more for it really.

So, in your inside experience edna, do young black men in flash cars get pulled over more than your average honky in honda?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I also had the same "Do you know...etc" from a Brighton Z-list celebrity/regular Argus rent-a-quote, when he unfortunately suffered a burglary.

The time I spent round his house taking a statement was one of the longest two hours of my LIFE, so keen was he to drop massive hints about his fame and career. I vaguely recognised him but pleaded ignorance for the entire time and refused to show any interest in his stories, which clearly irritated him :lolol:

He did seem to be of the impression that the investigation into his burglary would somehow be prioritised owing to his status and friends in the media. Jog on!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, they should get paid more for it really.

So, in your inside experience edna, do young black men in flash cars get pulled over more than your average honky in honda?

Hmmm, well purely going on experience, no (and I once looked at my stats which confirmed that, at least personally speaking).

But then again I worked in Brighton at the time, and Brighton doesn't have a massive Afro-Caribbean population, so it stands to reason that the vast majority of drivers stopped will be white.

Young men, of any ethnicity, on the other hand, are far more likely to be stopped than older drivers, but then that's because statistically they're more likely to be driving in a manner that will attract attention.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was once in the desk selling business. one day a commedian who was in a play at the Theater Royal came in and wanted to purchase a desk the same as they were using as a prop in the play. When we had done the deal and got down to the delivery address I asked him his name for the delivery. He then had an outburst of, don't you know who I am. I explained I knew perfectly well who he was, but it could have just been his stage name.
This didn't stop the I'am famous rant until he left still muttering away.
After he died, his brother, they were a double act, worked with a St. Bernard dog called Snorbits which probably became as famous as he was. punish:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hmmm, well purely going on experience, no (and I once looked at my stats which confirmed that, at least personally speaking).

But then again I worked in Brighton at the time, and Brighton doesn't have a massive Afro-Caribbean population, so it stands to reason that the vast majority of drivers stopped will be white.

Young men, of any ethnicity, on the other hand, are far more likely to be stopped than older drivers, but then that's because statistically they're more likely to be driving in a manner that will attract attention.

Thanks. I'd like to think that it doesn't happen as much as the conventional wisdom says it does (and conventional wisdom is often wrong) but it's hard to tell. You see so many young men driving like complete arseholes that you'd need a cop car on every street corner to keep up with them. Mind you, the amount we pay towards policing out of our council tax you should be able to afford that :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But then again I worked in Brighton at the time, and Brighton doesn't have a massive Afro-Caribbean population, so it stands to reason that the vast majority of drivers stopped will be white

Met me son's girlfriend's dad the other week. He's of Jamaican origin and appearance. He's got bad memories of Brighton. Took the family (mum, dad, three daughters and one son) down to Brighton a couple of years back for the Bank Holiday. They were just strolling along the front when a police car drew alongside and pulled up. 'Here we go' he thought, and sure enough out they got and proceeded to give him a hard time. When he asked why, he was told that he fitted the description of somebody who had just robbed a jewellers in The Lanes. Humiliated the poor bloke in front of his wife and kids. He bit his tongue rather than have a pop back and make it worse. Disgusting :nono:

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A mate of mine was working at an international flight check in desk at an airport in LA a few years ago, and got given the immortal line from an elegant elderly lady he couldn't place, but thought might have been in the movies years ago. She then asked what the servant situation was like back in England and quick as a flash he replied, 'I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting a job madam....' ???

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Met me son's girlfriend's dad the other week. He's of Jamaican origin and appearance. He's got bad memories of Brighton. Took the family (mum, dad, three daughters and one son) down to Brighton a couple of years back for the Bank Holiday. They were just strolling along the front when a police car drew alongside and pulled up. 'Here we go' he thought, and sure enough out they got and proceeded to give him a hard time. When he asked why, he was told that he fitted the description of somebody who had just robbed a jewellers in The Lanes. Humiliated the poor bloke in front of his wife and kids. He bit his tongue rather than have a pop back and make it worse. Disgusting :nono:

This is where the job is a minefield.

If I've just dealt with a robbery where the suspect is a black guy in his thirties with short black hair and a red coat, I'm not going to look for white guys am I? If I then see a black guy in his thirties with short black hair and a red coat, what do I do, ignore it for fear of offending someone, or go and speak to them and hope to god I'm not barking up the wrong tree?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here