Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have any (working) smoke detectors...?

Do you have at least 1 smoke alarm per storey in your home?

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
mine are connected to the electricity supply with back up batteries

Same here. Installed a few years ago. Nobody told us there were back up batteries. so when the alarm started chirping after a couple of months on account of the batteries I never knew existed running low on power, I sort of assumed the flat downstairs was on fire or something and called out the East Sussex Fire Brigade who duly arrived several minutes later with a full crew in a fire engine :blush:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I never test them but they are tested every year as part of the fire alarm agreement with the rest of the flats.

There is a fire bell outside my front door that I've discovered I can't hear when I fall asleep in my lounge. The other Sunday evening I was rudely awoken by 2 firemen who had kicked my front door in. My potatoes were like lumps of coal and smoke everywhere.
A very disorientated and embarressed Jello had some explaining to do!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't know if this is true of all areas [I'm sure Bry Nylon will enlighten us] but Hampshire Fire and Rescue will send a crew round in a tender to fit free alarms in any kids' rooms, advise the household of escape routes / good practices, etc and give comics and infomation packs to the kids.

The kids love it too, having a real fire engine turn up at home, and dare I say it, some of the housewives do too!

Yes, all Fire & Rescue Services conduct Home Fire safety Visits, an initiative instigated and funded by the ODPM, back in the days when there was such a thing. And good fun they are too! :glare:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
My house has 3, 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. They must be linked or something, because if one goes off, they all tend to go off as well. One is always tested, as it's by the grill, the other 2 we rarely check but tend to go off when the grill one goes off.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Spent all last night fighting a fire at what used to be this family home.

Not only did the householders have no smoke detectors, it transpires that they also have no home contents insurance. So now they have literally lost everything, save the clothes on their backs.

They still have their 3 young children, but their pet cat and 3 of her 4 kittens perished in the heat and smoke of the blaze. If you haven't checked your smoke detectors lately, maybe test them this evening.

Attachments

• house_003.jpg
    house_003.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 24

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
:eek:

Starting from square one with three kids. Well done for stopping the fire from spreading.

My smoke alarm doesn't wake me. :(

Can you get some that lights the room/flashes, Bry?

Yes you can - I've PM'd you details.
If anybody else thinks they may be useful for themselves or a relative, you can get more information on smoke detectors that have a vibrating pad or a flashing light by phoning 020 7296 8000.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spent all last night fighting a fire at what used to be this family home.

Not only did the householders have no smoke detectors, it transpires that they also have no home contents insurance. So now they have literally lost everything, save the clothes on their backs.

They still have their 3 young children, but their pet cat and 3 of her 4 kittens perished in the heat and smoke of the blaze. If you haven't checked your smoke detectors lately, maybe test them this evening.

Might be better to check your home contents insurance tho, eh?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Might be better to check your home contents insurance tho, eh?

True enough, although if it were me I'd check the smoke detectors first. It is hard to make a claim on your insurance if you have just been shovelled into a zip-up bag.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
We do have a working smoke detector. Unlike the device that was previously installed and had lost its batteries years back. Mainly because a piece of bread being toasted half a mile down the road would cause it to go off.

This unexpectedly organised state of affairs coming about because a nice lady and gentleman from the Fire Brigade came round unexpectedly. It was perhaps rather unwise of them to open the back door and walk in, uninvited, instead of ringing the front doorbell but fortunately the dog is rather partial to men in uniform. However, after recoiling in horror from the fire risk that is the totality of the Crumbling Towers, they installed a brand new smoke detector that is guaranteed to last forever. Or at least until global warming causes the earth to catch fire.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
By means of providing something of a happy ending, I've just heard that the one surviving kitten has been adopted by the firefighter that found him cowering under a bed on our initial sweep on the house. He has been re-christened 'Smokey', and inspite a slightly singed tail, he is doing well :)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Much to my shame I have one alarm fitted but don't know if it works, it was in the house already when I moved in a year ago, I also have two that need installing that I brought from my old place. If I achieve nothing else this weekend I will put the fire alarms up and make sure that they are working...thanks for the kick up the arse Bry!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
By means of providing something of a happy ending, I've just heard that the one surviving kitten has been adopted by the firefighter that found him cowering under a bed on our initial sweep on the house. He has been re-christened 'Smokey', and inspite a slightly singed tail, he is doing well :)

Bless!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Right...have now located the alarms I brought with me, will get batteries and install tomorrow!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Good news! Any later and you'd have had to call him Crispin :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here