Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have any (working) smoke detectors...?

Do you have at least 1 smoke alarm per storey in your home?

• Total voters

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just out of professional interest, do you have any, and do you ever test them?

The general guide is that your home should have AT LEAST one per level, they should be located on the ceiling along your escape route, and they should be tested once a week, minimum. It is also a good idea to vacuum the sensor once a week too, to remove dust, bugs and spiders etc.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
One I know is working as I set it off when cooking today
One I assume is working as it beeps like a dying mobile when its battery starts to go. I'll test it tomorrow, though.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The building does, but not me PERSONALLY. Might go and buy one though, just to be doubly safe. Afterall, I do drunkenly smoke in my highly flammable futon most nights.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mccarthy towers has TWO that both work, one for each level of the complex

they are tested monthly i believe, although usually go off at least weekly due to the appaling standard of cooking in the house

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Yes, several.

Them being cleaned/tested is part of my cleaning routine now. We have an extinguisher in our kitchen as well.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Mine is connected to the electric supply with backup batteries and a phone link to the fire department as its built into the burglar alarm system as well.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Have an ADT monitored Alarm System which includes fire and CO2 alarms, they are tested by an engineer annually, but I check them monthly as well. They are mains powered, and battery backed up on trickle charge.

They are loud!

I have a healthy respect for fire.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have one on the ground floor outside the kitchen, and three upstairs - one on the landing and one in each of the boys' bedrooms. These are ones with long-life batteries fitted free by the Fire Service.

I don't know if this is true of all areas [I'm sure Bry Nylon will enlighten us] but Hampshire Fire and Rescue will send a crew round in a tender to fit free alarms in any kids' rooms, advise the household of escape routes / good practices, etc and give comics and infomation packs to the kids.

The kids love it too, having a real fire engine turn up at home, and dare I say it, some of the housewives do too!

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
3, 1 downstairs that goes off every time I make toast so I know thats working, 2 upstairs (in each of the kids bedroom) regularly tested.

I also have a carbon monoxide detector placed in a convenient position not too far away from the boiler.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a metal detector in the hallway. It gives me advanced warning when my dad is visiting (he has a titanium plate in his head).

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Even though I accidently said "lemme go and check" in the poll, I do know for a fact that we have 4 in the house, one in the conservatory, one in the hallway outside the kitchen and two upstairs. And all of them work. :clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
My house had about 6 when we moved in but we had to rip them all off the ceiling as they would all go off in unison every time we so much as used the toaster. You didn't even need to burn things, just be cooking something, and the entire neighbourhood knew about it.

The landlord wasn't impressed and demanded we put them up again, but then the neighbours demanded we take them down again for the sake of their sanity.

I'm all for feeling safe and protected but we tend to cook food in our house more often than we have house fires and so the smoke alarms are all in a pile on top of the fridge. Unless the landlord comes round, in which case they're everywhere.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
There's 8 flats in our building and we have a central fire alarm panel with sensors in each flat that's tested once a week by Brighton Fire Alarms. When it goes off it could wake the dead!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yes we have two, one upstairs, one down stairs... Both had new batteries on the weekend as one started beeping at 4am :mad: but better to be warned than the horrible alternative...

Fire extinguisher in the kitchen and several in the workshop near the welding stuff...and in the race car - all get checked and replaced/refilled as per their instructions...

Better to be safe than sorry in this instance!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've got one in the upstairs landing and one in the downstairs hallway, The type you plug into the light fitting. I'm thinking of fitting a few more in the bedrooms as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here