Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a land line? How much do you use it ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No landline. However, my broadband is cheaper if I take an IP phone from the cable company. I don't even have a phone attached to the ATA but it makes the package €5 cheaper a month.

I have no idea why they price it like that, but don't be surprised if it comes to the UK - they've just bought Virgin Media...

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Up until this month I had 2 phone lines one Virgin (cable) and one BT, a hang over from the days of dial-up when I was a lot busier and could not have the phone line blocked by me being on the internet all day, I had just not dealt with it. (as well as 4 PAYG sims in operation)

I finally cancelled my BT line from 01 March I am currently considering what to do with the cable one.

I thought it was simple, downgrade my VM account to Broadband only but my wife now says she does not like the idea of no home phone (even if we never use it) and would insist on having a mobile phone just for home use if I get rid of the fixed line.

Yes no fixed line does hurt your credit rating, they like fixed lines as it has to be attached to an address where mobile can be anywhere as the term mobile suggests. So by not having a fixed line you remove one of the ways they can check who lives at an address.

I rarely use my fixed line I think I will simply have to remove the paid for "free" calls package and make it PAYG as well.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I have a landline here in Cyprus. I don't think I've given the number to anyone so it never rings.

I get my Internet through PrimeTel, one of the cable companies over here and the landline comes free. The only reason I have bothered to plug a phone into it is because it is cheaper than my mobile to make outgoing international calls.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm with BT for phone and internet but my landline only ever gets used when my parents call. The cheapest way to do it is pay £125 upfront for the whole year's line rental rather than £15 a month.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
With Virgin.....u can pay ur line rental up front for a massive discount, also u don't really pay much for having a landline as they heavily discount it for having the broadband, so one kinda counteracts the other.

Its works out im paying roughly £18 for phone and broadband......free weekend calls in that to, not that I use them.

Its worth having a land line for 0845 or 0800 numbers which to be fair I think if any company had a brain they'd reintroduce their landline as I avoid calling 0845/0800 from my mobile

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I have Virgin, tried to get rid of the phone but my package price goes up, you get a discount if you have phone, broadband and tv with them. Its unplugged so dont use it but kind of have to have it to save money.

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
Moved house 6 months ago and decided to give up land line.
Tested and found very strong indoor mobile signal with my provider at new home. At the same time I terminated my 15 years with Internet Service Provider. Saved about £15 p.m. on line rental with caller display and £9.99 p.m. on ISP. Signed a £25 p.m. contract for ‘sim only’ deal with ‘all you can eat’ data and permitted tethering.
Outcome is that I effectively have a mobile router – portable wifi. Can access Internet anywhere there is a reasonable signal, on mobile, or laptops or our tablets. At home I use the desktop as the main workstation for hi def apps, serious browsing, spreadsheets etc.
My best copper wire speed from my suburban location used to be about 6mps. My mobile phone gives me HSPA+ - and I regularly get download speeds of up to 15mps.
20 years ago, people sent their snaps to a chemist and waited with excitement and hope for the results. Now everything is digital and instant – a complete revolution!
Expect another revolution with wifi where physical lines will become obsolete! However, be patient, do plenty of research and ensure you have a technology that suites your requirements.
Early 4G is here but gobbles data. In 20 years time, we will look back and laugh at todays systems. Remember ‘Dial up’?

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I cancelled my landline with Virgin a few months ago as we were only really getting nuisance calls.

They did all they could to try and convince me to keep it, initally saying I couldn't get rid of it without cancelling my broadband too as I was on a 'special deal', so I told them to terminate my contract outright. Funnily enough they then 'realised' that I didn't need my phone line after all, but then went on to say it would be more expensive if I got rid of it. This was also a lie.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Expect another revolution with wifi where physical lines will become obsolete! However, be patient, do plenty of research and ensure you have a technology that suites your requirements.
Early 4G is here but gobbles data. In 20 years time, we will look back and laugh at todays systems. Remember ‘Dial up’?

you wait until thousands are using the mobile infrastructure and your bandwidth drops through the floor, or you dont get a connection at all through contention. i see this already when i get near Clapham Junciton most days, signal is 3G but the network wont process data. they'll have to bulid out the network alot, which brings its own issues. the wires are already in place and with Fibre to the Cabinet (green boxes on corner every few streets), copper for the last few hundred meters supports high enough speeds (currently 70+Mbps) that will suit anyones sensible needs. dont see wires going anywhere for another few decades.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
If you are with virgin you do not HAVE to have a phone line. Fact.

Superbez is correct! I asked Virgin if I could stop having my landline. They said yes no problem. I then asked how much would I save per month? The reply was that it would cost £2 per month extra, because my package was unbundled.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Use it all day every day as WAH for conf calls - pay annually for a discounted line rental price and have TalkTalk free anytime calls so rarely have any actual call charges ... :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Superbez is correct! I asked Virgin if I could stop having my landline. They said yes no problem. I then asked how much would I save per month? The reply was that it would cost £2 per month extra, because my package was unbundled.

THat only applies if you are on Virgin Cable. Otherwise you do have to have a land line with Virgin Broadband!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here