Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you ever get SCARED?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Following on from the night-out threads, are there any situations where you get scared?

I don't know if I'm developing social phobia or if I'm just shy...

*sitting at home in front of keyboard*

:blush:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
From SA-UK:

"Millions of people around the world suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder (also known as Social Phobia) and related conditions. Despite being the most common type of anxiety disorder and the cause of much impairment and suffering, it is under-recognised and under-treated. Yet virtually everyone knows what it is like to feel shy or lacking in social confidence, often to an extent that can limit opportunities and happiness. Because social anxiety issues are still relatively unknown amongst the wider public, most aren't even aware that the thing which can have such a huge impact on their lives has a name."

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Im at work - thats my excuse for being here on a Friday night!!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
yes hes innocent you could tell by the way he held the guys jumper over his head b4 he lamped him 3 times he was just trying to defend himself. Hoorah for justice for the common man

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From SA-UK:

"Millions of people around the world suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder (also known as Social Phobia) and related conditions. Despite being the most common type of anxiety disorder and the cause of much impairment and suffering, it is under-recognised and under-treated. Yet virtually everyone knows what it is like to feel shy or lacking in social confidence, often to an extent that can limit opportunities and happiness. Because social anxiety issues are still relatively unknown amongst the wider public, most aren't even aware that the thing which can have such a huge impact on their lives has a name."

I must admit I'm nearly always scared of social situations. I can probably count the number of parties I've been to in my life on one hand, and I haven't gone along to a single one willingly. I'm not quite so bad with a very small group of people and once I get to know someone I'm usually fine. Don't mind losing myself in a crowd of strangers at gigs either, but parties just get my stomach tied up in knots with anxiety and I will always make up any old excuse to avoid them.

Pinkie

Feb 22, 2009
Stevie G. The most over-rated, over-protected tosser on the planet. It was so obvious from the CCTV that he was, by no means, acting in self-defence. Violent, arrogant twat. However, if he puts in great performances in South Africa and helps us win the World Cup I'll join the unwashed thieving masses (Scousers) in singing his praises.

I'm slightly scared of ethnic youths having been mugged by some recently in Paris. Sorry, but I am.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For myself, I really can't deal with social situations, an affliction which has increased the older I get,,,,to the point where I find crowded places very unsettling, as I cannot tune out one conversation from another and find being surrounded by people makes me very uncomfortable.

For example, the last Brighton game I went to was the second-to-last at the Goldstone (Barnet iirc) and whilst I very much enjoyed the result, I had the impression the entire stand was about to collapse upon me and had difficulty focusing on anything but the sheer amount of people there.

In before jokes about that wouldn't be a worry at the Withdean :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I used to have a specific problem with turning up late at things at school. If I was even a minute late for assembly, I simply wouldn't go, I'd rather ride my bike around for a few minutes and risk being caught late than walk in on a hundred or so faces looking at me.

I used to be the same with Drama classes as well, as if you walked in late it was a fairly long walk to the other end of a large room with them all staring at you.

Silly really.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's odd really as a pub landlord for a number of years the bar was my stage so to speak. The public expect the landlord to set the tone for the place and be the life and soul. This act becomes easier but even right to the end of my pub days there were times when I really felt I couldn't face the public. No reason for it, and the feeling went soon after I opened but I felt really nervous and apprehensive. Strange feeling and I can now understand renowned actors getting stage fright and top darts players who get the gitters.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I must admit I'm nearly always scared of social situations. I can probably count the number of parties I've been to in my life on one hand, and I haven't gone along to a single one willingly. I'm not quite so bad with a very small group of people and once I get to know someone I'm usually fine. Don't mind losing myself in a crowd of strangers at gigs either, but parties just get my stomach tied up in knots with anxiety and I will always make up any old excuse to avoid them.

Totally relate to that. The peversity of living with social anxiety/phobia is that while most people 'love' a night out, party, or whatever, there's nothing I dread more and people who aren't afflicted are very unlikely to understand, or sympathise, and you just end up being labelled as a 'party pooper.' I'm sure that if I didn't have it I wouldn't be very sympathetic towards someone who did.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Since my eldest son was diagnosed with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, everytime I hear of someone who hates social situations, I immediately think "maybe they are autistic"!! I shouldn't really, but I cannot help it!!

There are lots of others things that a person must show as well in order to be diagnosed, but social interaction and the fear thereof, is one of them. Not being able to block out backround noise is another.

My son hates birthday parties, does not want to go anywhere new (if we do, we have to prep and warn him well in advance), hates anywhere with loud, especially unexpected, noises and does not like people, even ones he knows, turning up unexpectedly at the house. He is scared - he does not know what to do, when and is often scared of the most innocuous things (the noise my other son makes when he drinks out of a cup, for example).

Now I'm not saying that you are autistic if you are scared of certain social situations, but it is interesting knowing what I know now, of how many people show autistic "traits" without being autistic. My wife and I certainly do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not a big fan of commuter crowds for sure. Not scared exactly, just prefer to not put meself in that situation if it can be at all avoided. For example, won't use a four carriage Worst Capital Connect anytime ever in the rush hour. Would rather wait half an hour for a proper airconned 8/10/12 coach Southern train. Avoid the DEEP tube lines in the rush hour similarly, whenever possible. Get these and your just one more rat caught in a trap. Had to meet somebody at Charing Cross mainline 6pm weekday last week. My idea of personal hell. There's only eight closely packed platforms. Every time a train comes in there's a mass sweep of solid humanity makes a beeline for it. And there's always some fucker running full pelt more or less straight at ya. Just felt like getting out of there immediately and getting down to the river where you can stroll and enjoy London and generally act and be treated like a human being.

Yep, just had to email a mate who I've blown out so many times I've lost count. Its wierd I travel the world with my job, I'm confident and happy and enjoy all the banter and piss taking that goes with it, but I find it really hard to get out the door and meet my mates in a local pub. It bloody pisses me off and makes me feel like a dick. (Not in that way ! oh......maybe that's why :eek:........)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When I see a dragonfly!

dragonfly_1449707c.jpg

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here