Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you deal with the public......

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Most (not all) cabbies I've had are determined to air their xenophobic views while assuming you agree with them. Basically that bit in Football Factory where the cabbie drops the two old boys off.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
A LOT of cabbies are incredibly unreasonable.

I must be the exception to the rule then.
If you give them bad service, you lose their custom.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I CANNOT stand seeing staff/restaurant staff getting abused by people who have had a bad day at work/argument with the wife/husband. They always pick on the young members of staff, people they think that the can demean with no recourse. Scum.

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
I find it annoying when people decide to just take ages to pack, not when they are elderly mind you, but I work at a well known supermarket. I never pass it on to the next customer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have you seen a return of the slow count fraud?

For something to return, it needs to have gone away! There is always someone trying something, and generally getting away with it. For a while.

Personally, I've not had a problem since I last had to deal with [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION].

(sent due to boredom from samsung galaxy s)

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Most (not all) cabbies I've had are determined to air their xenophobic views while assuming you agree with them. Basically that bit in Football Factory where the cabbie drops the two old boys off.
What a load of tosh. I get cabs all the time now as an ex cabbie and find that most cab drivers are foreign anyway who are far from xenophobic. The only problem I have is trying to get them to understand were I want to go..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a load of tosh. I get cabs all the time now as an ex cabbie and find that most cab drivers are foreign anyway who are far from xenophobic. The only problem I have is trying to get them to understand were I want to go..

I meant the English ones, obviously...

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I meant the English ones, obviously...
What xenophobic comments have you had? From my experience driving a cab the general public as a whole are very xenophobic and racist. Not a day would go by without a least 2 or 3 customers telling me that they were pleased they had an English driver or telling me haw the Arab cabs smell or they feel uncomfortable with them. People would wait for a white driver to get to the front of the que on the ranks etc.. The experience I had at work was banter between the ethic groups but nothing I would describe as too serious. I think you must be unlucky with your English drivers. In fact the worst ethic unrest I found on the ranks was between the Sudanese Christians and the Muslims, if you think the English are xenophobic you want to hear them.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Definitely two sides to this debate. Nobody should go to work & expect abuse to be part of the norm. Equally, when you're dealing with service personnel who've been to the John Cleese/Carol Beer school of public relations, its hard to keep a calm head sometimes. The quality of training for service personnel varies hugely & its often shows.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I CANNOT stand seeing staff/restaurant staff getting abused by people who have had a bad day at work/argument with the wife/husband. They always pick on the young members of staff, people they think that the can demean with no recourse. Scum.

absolutely. Bully boy tactics make me angry

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely two sides to this debate. Nobody should go to work & expect abuse to be part of the norm. Equally, when you're dealing with service personnel who've been to the John Cleese/Carol Beer school of public relations, its hard to keep a calm head sometimes. The quality of training for service personnel varies hugely & its often shows.

Simple rule of thumb - if you don't like dealing with people, don't work in a "people" job. So many people seem so miserable having to deal with customers every day, yet CHOOSE to do that.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Must be you, I can't ever remember being in a cab where the river expressed xenophobic views. I quite like my job but frankly some of the people I have to deal with need a slap. As it some of the people I refer to are like that in real life and treat everybody equally badly, the good news is that they do get a slap from time to time. I think what gets to me most is when people whine and moan about a situation that you can do nothing about, I have little doubt that anybody who has worked in transportation can identify with that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I think you need to understand that the vast majority of people who deal with the general public are very reasonable, it's just the attitude of some people who will not accept the answer they are given and thus turn very ugly about it. Whilst people like me try to empathise with their problems on occasion some people cannot see my side and make no effort to do so. That is a rather too common experience.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Running a bar that has a mainly Ukrainian clientel, I can get very hissy come midnight on Saturdays... ... my gf who is as sweet as they come, completely lost it towards some Uzbeks (her own countrymen) last week... we all have days...sometimes we are nice, sometimes we are horrible...were human....but at least we try to be nice mostly :-D

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Simple rule of thumb - if you don't like dealing with people, don't work in a "people" job. So many people seem so miserable having to deal with customers every day, yet CHOOSE to do that.

I think it's more a case of taking whatever job you can get. That usually means dealing with the public on mimimum wage. Not a good combination.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Speaking from 15 years experience dealing with the general P - as a rule you can expect 10% of your customers to treat you like your dirt. This can range from posh/arrogant assholes to the utter socially insane.
It's very easy to patronise the contempt out of the worse of these offenders and make them seem silly and inconsequential.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Doesn't surprise me, most Southern staff are idiots. I got on at Durrington station once, the ticket office was closed and the ticket machine ate a £5 note of mine, and then proceeded to eat more coins from someone putting them in, it was not printing or despatching tickets properly. So I got on the train and when the ticket nazi came along, I did not have a ticket and explained, he then told me "you kind of people always lie" and ranted, before throwing me off at another station "or else he'd call the police", went into that stations ticket office and they could not give a shit.

I spend about £1000 a year on trains through work, but on short local trips barely bother with attitudes like that

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's more a case of taking whatever job you can get. That usually means dealing with the public on mimimum wage. Not a good combination.

I'm not just talking about your minimum wage jobs here. I'm talking about receptionists, public transport jobs, all sorts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here