Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you believe the money is really there for a top quality striker?

Is the money there for a quality targetman

• Yes

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Yes but not enough for the quality of striker MM is chasing

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • No, it may have been there but it's being drained by Falmer

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • No, the pot is empty

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Yes but the board are shying away from giving it to MM

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • You are going to regret posting this when you see who we get by deadline day

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Can't decide if it's PR spin or not

Votes: 9 10.0%

• Total voters

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
i dont think we can use falmer / withdean as an excuse anymore - i really am starting to believe that we have no money

I think its more an excuse than ever TBH.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Worrying that only 10% of NSC that voted seem to think the money required for a Burgess, Dichio, Shipperley transfer is actually there :eek:

You are not doing a very good PR job on this DK, :lol:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So are you calling McGhee a liar? ???

We had a bid accepted for Dichio, Parkin was always going to have better offers, Sheffield United want Shipperly, Burgess, well lets wait and see if Hull can get one of the multitude of strikers they're chasing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
So are you calling McGhee a liar? ???

We had a bid accepted for Dichio, Parkin was always going to have better offers, Sheffield United want Shipperly, Burgess, well lets wait and see if Hull can get one of the multitude of strikers they're chasing.

No, no more than I'm calling DK a liar, they are both involved in the "money available" line we have been fed. I am actually quite undecided as to the truth of it though. It is getting on for 3 years of rejections from clubs and players and stretches credibilty imo.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Icy Gull said:
No, no more than I'm calling DK a liar, they are both involved in the "money available" line we have been fed. I am actually quite undecided as to the truth of it though. It is getting on for 3 years of rejections from clubs and players and stretches credibilty imo.

Have to agree what you said.I was reasonably optimistic when it comes to Brighton and new players.That has all been edged away now through spin,Withdean,no better then we have already,Better clubs are interested etc etc.The current situation has drained any confidence i have in the club

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Well yes, whether the money is being used (or attempted use ???) correctly is another matter, but I believe there is a bit there.

It hardly tallies with the "McGhee being hung out to dry by the board" excuse when he himself says it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fourteenth Eye said:
In terms of attracting top players to clubs who has Mcghee previously signed for Millwall, Wolves etc???

Manager from December 1995 - December 1998

The termination of Mark McGhee's contract brought an end to an eventful three year association with Wolves. Twice he was within grasp of glory, but the chief priority of promotion never happened. McGhee arrived at Molineux in December, 1995. His first game in charge at Molineux came nine days before Christmas of that year with Wolves close to the bottom of the table following the departure of Graham Taylor. That first match, which was against Port Vale, ended in defeat and, by the end of the campaign, the club finished just five places off the bottom and three points above a relegation spot. However, there were good performances in the Coca Cola Cup and FA Cup and the manager began to bring in new faces. He paid £1.1 million for Steve Corica from Leicester, and £900,000 for Simon Osborn from Queens Park Rangers. For the new campaign McGhee introduced former England defender Keith Curle from Manchester City, striker Iwan Roberts from Norwich City and Welsh defender Adrian Williams from another of his former clubs, Reading.

The 1996/97 season was one in which McGhee and his team were cursed with the worst of luck of Curle and Williams injured before a ball had been kicked. Curle didn't make a first team appearance until the New Year. Williams managed just eight games after recovering from cruciate knee damage. Others to befall a simular fate as Williams included Michael Gilkes and Steve Corica, and Dean Richards missed half the season with knee trouble too. Several other serious injuries meant that the manager kept having to shuffle his pack of cards. And his problems were further compounded by some controversial refereeing decisions that went against Wolves - notably at Oldham and Bradford. At the end of it all, Wolves finished five points short of automatic promotion and they bowed out of the play offs after a narrow 4-3 aggregate defeat against Crystal Palace.

In 1997/98, the League campaign turned out to be a disappointing one. But there was an excellent run in the FA Cup which saw Premiership teams Wimbledon and Leeds fall by the wayside. The hurdle of Arsenal in the semi-final, however, was too big for the Molineux side. This seasson Wolves got off to a flier winning their first four League games without conceding a goal. But then the injury voodoo struck again and, within days, McGhee was robbed of one of the most lethal strikeforces in the country - Steve Bull and Robbie Keane. And their was the hammer blow of losing Steve Froggatt to Coventry City when the former Villa man was at his best. The goal supply dried up and a run that saw just two victories in 12 League games, coupled with a Worthingtons Cup exit at the hands of Second Division Bournemouth, bought the situation to a head. A scan through the account books on McGhee's ventures into the transfer market, show just around a million pounds on the debit side. And, in the 156 League and Cup games that have taken place during his time in charge, 64 have been won, 38 drawn, and 54 lost.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Millwall

12-Sep-00 Sam Parkin Chelsea Loan
20-Mar-01 Steve Claridge Portsmouth Loan
21-Mar-01 Tony Cottee Free Agent Free Released by Barnet (Player-Manager)
5-Aug-01 Steve Claridge Portsmouth Free
6-Aug-01 Giovanni Savarese San Jose Earthquakes Free Previously with Swansea on Loan
4-Sep-01 Phil Stamp Middlesbrough Loan
2-Oct-01 Darren Ward Watford 350,000 Plus up to £150,000 on apps (unconfirmed)
19-Oct-01 Ryan Green Wolves Free Sell on clause if retained beyond current season
29-Nov-01 Chad Harpur Leeds Utd Free
28-Jan-02 Richard Naylor Ipswich Loan
14-Mar-02 Stephen McPhail Leeds Loan
28-Mar-02 Dion Dublin Aston Villa Loan
12-Aug-02 Kevin Grogan Unattached Free After a Trial, Previously with Manchester United
13-Aug-02 Andy Roberts Unattached Free Released by Wimbledon on Free Transfer
19-Aug-02 Terry Masterson Belvedere Free
21-Aug-02 Christophe Kinet Free agent Free Resigned after being released on Free Transfer
29-Aug-02 Tim Clancy Belvedere Free
13-Sep-02 Kevin Davies Southampton Loan
24-Sep-02 Dennis Wise Free agent Free Sacked by Leicester City after Disciplinary Tribunal
16-Oct-02 Glen Johnson West Ham Loan
16-Jan-03 Sergei Baltacha Free agent Free Previously with St Mirren
19-Mar-03 Daniel Severino Piacenza Free
27-Mar-03 Mark McCammon Brentford Free
01-Aug-03 Jaun Durate Arsenal Loan (3 month Loan)
05-Aug-03 Noel Whelan Middlesbrough Free
19-Aug-03 Bob Peeters

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Bob Peeters, the Belgian Turienzo. :cool:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Money there. Players dont want to play for MM. Withdean not a factor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here