Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we have too many players that are playing at too high a level?

larus

I've been thinking this for some time now, but my views on the current squad.

Kuipers - does not command his box, nor shout to the defence to let them know what to do. Good shot stopper, but makes me nrevous.

Roberts - if he can sort out his back, he's the better keeper by far.

Harding - quick but still learning his trade. Could be good though.

Hinsh - good, and getting better.

Cullip - one division too far.

Butters - OK with a fast CB partner.

Virgo - he's crap.

Reid - Good, steady player. Rarely give the ball away.

Mayo - handy cover. Not a first choice.

El-abd - very good, tough defender. Fine at this level.

Oatway - again, one league too high for his ability. Has the odd good game.

Chippy - not the player he was. Should be looking at at league 1 / 2 club now.

Nicolas - very good signing - comfortable at this level.

Currie - tricky player, good delivery. Can play at this level.

Hammond - I like him, and think he will improve a lot over the next 12 - 24 months. ABle to play at this level.

Hart - I thought he lost a bit after his broken leg, but would keep him as a squad player.

Jones - sorry Jonah, again one division too high.

Knight - if he gets the service, will score goals again. However, I don't think MM is the type of manager to get the best out of him. He won't be here next season, whcih I think is a shame.

Claridge - first sighting today, I thought he gave us something extra up front. Would like to see him & KH together.

p.s. Virgo's been a revalation this season. Works his nuts off. MM knows how to get the best out of him.

McGhee - sometimes he seems to tinker too much. Could do with a bit of continuity out there. One week 4-4-2, next 3-5-2, next 5-3-2, next 4-5-1. I know from time to time we need to change, but he does too much IMO.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The simpkle answer is yes.

Cullip, Oatway, Mayo, Jones, McPhee. Watson, Virgo, Carpenter Hart all make good squad players but not good enough in their own right to command a first team place. Hammond not sure.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i'm kuipers number 1 fan but he played poor today

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So what should we do with these players that you think are in too high a division for their talents? Get rid of them and play with an undersize squad, or spend the thousands that we haven't got replacing them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The main problem is that they are not good enough and we cannot afford to replace them.

DK has given them all contracts which we have to honour. They would rather be here earning a wage and being able to support their families and pay their mortgage and so will not offer to leave.

The problerm is taken out of our hands in the next few months.

Hindsight is great virture and in hindsight they shouldnt all have been given new contracts or at least not so long.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the spine of the side needs to have better players.

(Thinking of the old days of Lawrenson, Horton and Wardy: the other players can be run of the mill if the basic spine is exceptional.)

A good faster central defender. Hinsh may fit the bill.

Somebody good in midfield, not the mythical creative midfielder, but someone with stamina, a bit of nous, can trap the ball back to the goal and turn and run his socks off. Virgo could fit the bill? but Claridge in midfield would have more nous. And the forward that we still need!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
On first glance it would appear no but they are doing ok so far and we cannot afford better ones.

They are not good enough to set the league on fire BUT they are good enough to keep us up.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Without a doubt we struggle with quality div 1 (Championship) players. All are 100% and we will get results through effort.However as we are finding we are not good enough to make the running and create enough chances.Probably why we are getting better results away from home, when we invite sides onto us. Still isn't it fun. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
SO WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM TO REPLACE THESE PLAYERS - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE FFS!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What about Jarrett and Molango?

Whatever division we end up in next season, there needs to be a mass clearout of the old guard at the end of the present one. Many have been fantastic servants to the club over the years, but it's time to move on. With our limited budget we have had to make do with those under contract. The contracts that DK dished out two years ago to certain players have tied our hands this season. Getting the right balance of experence plus up and coming young players through our excellent youth setup is the key. Hopefully, M.M. will still be around to carry out that task?....

As some one who doesn't get to watch the team play excpet for highlight's out here on Sky news and the Seagulls website. It would appear that some players maybe out of there depth but in saying that one has to look at 4 seasons ago a lot of these players were in divisions 2 league's lower Brighton were good enough and fortunate enough to go bang bang and win two league's have a season up and then be relegated but were good enough to come again and with the previous season in the Championship (Division 1) it will help us in our survival quest this season. If next season we are in the championship still (I think we'll survive) and we get the green light for Falmer we can then look forward to being able to make some purchases and in a few years hopefully be challenging for the premiership.

I would love to head to the UK, walk into a relatively new stadium at Falmer in about 6 years time to play Arsenal in the Premiership.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
ADH is right, we have a number of players who have been with the Albion for 4-5 seasons and have given good and loyal service to the club, without naming them individually it is approaching the time when replacements will need to be found.

We are in an envious position at the moment whereby we have an excellent crop of younger home grown players breaking into and holding down places in the first team, the majority are more than capable of holding their own in this division. It would sound harsh to suggest that we should just have a big clear out and get rid of the core members of our squad, those who have contributed greatly to our recent success, sadly it may just come to that.

I look at the team at the moment with mixed emotions, I am proud of what they have achieved, but as a fan I want the best from my team, the best players and a decent stadium to watch games in. Life is about compromises, we are not a money bags team bankrolled by a Billionaire businessman, there are times when you have to make the best of what you already have, if that means that our financial constraints mean that we have to keep a few players past their sell-by date then that is the reality that I will have to accept.

Nonetheless I do accept that we have a number of players who will probably not get offered new contracts at the end of their current one, it will be sad to see some of them leave as they have given stirling service to the club, I would wish them well but also hope that we are in the position to bring in someone new who is at least as good, if not better, than they were to supplement our current squad.

Albion Rob

I have to say that yesterday was the worst I have seen Chippy play in a very long time. As far as players to go is concerned, it is hard to see a future for Oatway, Watson, Hart, Jones and maybe Kuipers at the end of their current deals. Harsh to say it because they have all ben my favourite player at one time or another but things change.

I think we are just about strong enough to stay up, we have battled back from a couple of poor runs and ar picking up points at the right times however w MUST improve against the weaker sides otherwise we ar tossing points away and helping their own survival ambitions.

The young players will be a year more experienced next year and hopefully we can bring in a couple of players in different positions of the calibre of Nicolas to bolster things next year whatever division we are in.

Things are looking a lot brightor for the club than this time two years ago. Think about it - Blackwell, Jones, Beasant, no Zamora at the end of the season, an inconsistent Brooker, Kitson always injured, Barrett, Butters in no state to play football and Watson at right back.

Now we'v got TWO England under-21 internationals, Ben Roberts, Darren Currie, Nicolas, a fit Guy Butters, Virgo, El-Abd, Hammond, Jake Robinson still to grow up a bit and no doubt more young players to come through.

Today may seem bad because of a poor game played in a shitty stadium but things are a lot brighter than they were not too many moons ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Brian Clough always said you need 4 main men straight down the middle from goal to striker if you have them you will be OK.

Fact of life is we do not have the players to fill these positions adequately and because of the lack of finance within the club must put up with it and hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here