mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
People in glass houses don't tend to throw stones do they? Putting the NOTW debacle on the front page would be like Myra Hindley writing a thesis on childcare.

Most other papers have it on front page though.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Must the the first time in living memory that they haven't had a "story" about either house prices or immigrants on the front page.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I hate the British tabloids for their obsession with celebrities, peurile gossip, character assassination, soap operas and cheap Right-wing populism which panders to people's prejudices or ignorance on political issues, but sadly, the public buy these papers in their millions, so from that point of view, the press does give its readers what they want; anything which means they don't need to develop their brains. Bloody depressing, though, that this is what people seem to want. Maybe I'm just a snob and an elitist.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I hate the British tabloids for their obsession with celebrities, peurile gossip, character assassination, soap operas and cheap Right-wing populism which panders to people's prejudices or ignorance on political issues, but sadly, the public buy these papers in their millions, so from that point of view, the press does give its readers what they want; anything which means they don't need to develop their brains. Bloody depressing, though, that this is what people seem to want. Maybe I'm just a snob and an elitist.

As you infer, it's not thier obsession it's ours. Morons keep buying it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, I'm afraid we do. If 4 in every 10 papers sold on a Sunday are / were the NOTW, then who do we have to blame except the people of this country. If people didn't buy that moronic drivel then it would have changed it's approach, but unfortunately they were giving people want they want, which is banal, sensationalist stories about "celebs".

I couldn't give a flying feck about Jordan, that dopey bint who used to do the Iceland ads, or Lindsey Low-IQ, but enough people do that the papers who view them as front page headline news, thrive.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As long as there are some newspapers and journalists who can make a living from proper investigative journalism (done correctly and lawfully, of course), so that those in power can be bought to account when necessary, does it really matter that the other papers are full of trash?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To answer your original question - YES.

The public's appetite for tittle-tattle, trash and tits creates pressure on editors to keep serving it up. If phone hacking enabled the NOTW to publish exclusives that sold papers then, inevitably, there's pressure on the editor to keep using the same methods that generate the scoops that sell the papers.

This is why I can't believe it was all down to one rogue journalist, or that other papers weren't employing the same tactics.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is why I can't believe it was all down to one rogue journalist, or that other papers weren't employing the same tactics.

It's not is it, and that's why the papers don't all turn on each other at the first sign of this sort of thing, as they are all thinking "thank f%^k it wasn't us."

The editor allowed / encouraded this, no doubt, and the pressure to do so, would have come from above her as well. This isn't just the NOTW, not even just News International, as the Mirror Group were hardly a delightful bunch under Piers Morgan either.

It's the gutter press, but I'm very sad to say, there are enough people out there who want these salacious stories, that it will continue.

Doesn't make me happy about it.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
People in glass houses don't tend to throw stones do they? Putting the NOTW debacle on the front page would be like Myra Hindley writing a thesis on childcare.

that Paul McMullan guy talks about them doing the same kind of stuff in the recording that Hugh Grant made. Says they don't do it anymore but did, so yeah, probably hoping all this blows over...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not forgetting Princess Di (pardon the pun) - kept the Express in print for years. And the McCanns...

Kept? Only last week I noticed their front cover had a feature on "Diana: what she'd have looked like at fifty" :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's face it, given the scale of this thing, don't tell me that the other tabloids weren't at it too. I reckon there are some very nervous people sitting in newspaper offices right now, hoping and praying they're not going to end up in the same boat as Andy Coulson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here