Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do southern run ghost trains at late night?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Right, i've got friends who come down from parts of the county like Seaford, or London, all fairly local.

When they train down, they often say they can stay as late as they like because they'd catch a "ghost" train or a "drug" train - an empty train that isn't announced and just runs at night.

I've never seen reference to these (duh, they're ghost trains) but nor have I ever seen or heard one - I live right next to a train line just near Aldrington station, and have had my bedroom literally feet away from the rails. I've never heard nor seen these trains...

So whats the deal? Am I just not seeing these existing ghost trains or are my friends on speed?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right, i've got friends who come down from parts of the county like Seaford, or London, all fairly local.

When they train down, they often say they can stay as late as they like because they'd catch a "ghost" train or a "drug" train - an empty train that isn't announced and just runs at night.

I've never seen reference to these (duh, they're ghost trains) but nor have I ever seen or heard one - I live right next to a train line just near Aldrington station, and have had my bedroom literally feet away from the rails. I've never heard nor seen these trains...

So whats the deal? Am I just not seeing these existing ghost trains or are my friends on speed?

'Srooms maybe. Can't see our money grabbing train companies doing anything for the fun of it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
'Srooms maybe. Can't see our money grabbing train companies doing anything for the fun of it.

Thats what I thought. Why run normal trains at 2,3,4 am? The last trains I know of run by southern are at 1am at an absolute push. They then start at around 5.

But they're adamant that these trains run?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not sure on a ghost train but maybe what they are doing is catching the first train out of Brighton

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thats what I thought. Why run normal trains at 2,3,4 am? The last trains I know of run by southern are at 1am at an absolute push. They then start at around 5.

But they're adamant that these trains run?

We're lucky enough if they run during the day !

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks NSC, cleared that one up! I'm going to tell them to get off whatever they've eaten next time i'm told that "its fine, we'll live we can just sleep on the trains that run late at night" before breaking down in London or Portsmouth or some other city I can't walk home from!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
ghost-train.jpg

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
"Ghost" trains do exsist.

Saw one of the way back from Orient last week. It stopped at Hove, empty, lights off and the doors didn't open. Even if a very, very drunk man did try on numerous occasions. :lol:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There's a train from Brighton that goes to Lewes & Eastbourne about 2am on Friday/Saturday nights but isn't advertised. Technically its stopping there only as its the last train from London, but they will usually let you get on if you ask nicely. Not sure what the technicalities are - cos you could quite easily see it on a timetable and assume you can get on there.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Back in the days before electronic doors and train strikes , it was possible to come back to Brighton on the milk train and the paper train . I don't know where the milk train originated from , but the paper train would always leave London Bridge at about 3 ish. Because of signals and the like , it would slow down or stop at provincial stations and was possible to board it ala Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid stylee........How do I know ? I used to work on one.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Back in the days before electronic doors and train strikes , it was possible to come back to Brighton on the milk train and the paper train . I don't know where the milk train originated from , but the paper train would always leave London Bridge at about 3 ish. Because of signals and the like , it would slow down or stop at provincial stations and was possible to board it ala Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid stylee........How do I know ? I used to work on one.

The milk train used to come from Victoria, or it did when I used to get it back to Three Bridges following a night out in the smoke.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Ghost trains do run

i didnt believe so but my mates brother is a train driver and my mate always told me they ran.. so one night out for drinks he said ill prove it... of course i was like fine.. southern dont do that.... and infact they did.. i got proved wrong.. but got home quickly i can live with that!

this train was running west from brighton station, i got off at hove not sure where it finished

i was told its cause they need the train in X location for the morning, so run it cause they need to move the train anyway.. thats according to my mate also.. and i have no reason to doubt him considering he was right about the ghost trains

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm sure they have to move trains in the night to get them into the right place for the morning. Some trains go out of service for a fault and then need moving when they are fixed.....

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
There is also one that tends to pull in at Hove when I'm waiting for the last train to Portslade . It sort sidles in , waits there for a bit then pulls off into the mist .

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ghost trains do run

i didnt believe so but my mates brother is a train driver and my mate always told me they ran.. so one night out for drinks he said ill prove it... of course i was like fine.. southern dont do that.... and infact they did.. i got proved wrong.. but got home quickly i can live with that!

this train was running west from brighton station, i got off at hove not sure where it finished

i was told its cause they need the train in X location for the morning, so run it cause they need to move the train anyway.. thats according to my mate also.. and i have no reason to doubt him considering he was right about the ghost trains

Absolute bollocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here