Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do players fear the target?

....or so fear missing it that they have to get within a few feet before shooting?

Last saturday I noticed - as I have done before - the goalkeeper wandering on the edge of his area with the ball in our midfield.
Our lads pinged a couple of lovely long and accurate passes long-distance across the park - but never do they have a go at beating the goallie from any distance.

With what we have to gain from bombarding the target with attempts, it always seems as though our carefully worked attacking ventures end in nothing much - when a shot is not such a bad idea.

I'm not talking about Cox shooting instead of passing to Forster, which got us the goal. Hart chose to shoot from the same sort of situation, later, and missed.
However, is there an embargo at Brighton, against having a go from distance?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
How could you see this when you are supposed to be watching the crowd ;)

But I do completely agree. Its been a problem over the last few years (probably since Chippy left) that no one will have a crack from long range. Keeper spills it, striker follows up.

Yet it always seems to happen to US.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Adam Virgo tried to score from near the halfway line with a quick freekick late on in the Stockport game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Dickinson had an attempt from miles out against Walsall, which wasn't too far off. I thought he would use it more often.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Adam Virgo tried to score from near the halfway line with a quick freekick late on in the Stockport game.

He also did that against Millwall too late in the game.

f***ing WASTE.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
....or so fear missing it that they have to get within a few feet before shooting?

Last saturday I noticed - as I have done before - the goalkeeper wandering on the edge of his area with the ball in our midfield.

However, is there an embargo at Brighton, against having a go from distance?

How about when their goalkeeper is wandering on the edge of OUR area as he was in stoppage time on Saturday!! Open goal, 5 and a half thousand of us giving him the heads up and Dickinson still didn't swing his foot.....a little deaf methinks.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Bit of a bump, but was thinking about this yesterday.

I think there's been a slight improvement in terms of midfielders/wingers having a shot when the chance arises. A Davies looked lively and hungry for a goal against Wycombe, same with Bennett yesterday, and Dicker has had some cracking efforts in the last 3 games. It's just frustrating that so far they have nothing to show for it.

Bit of a bump, but was thinking about this yesterday.

I think there's been a slight improvement in terms of midfielders/wingers having a shot when the chance arises. A Davies looked lively and hungry for a goal against Wycombe, same with Bennett yesterday, and Dicker has had some cracking efforts in the last 3 games. It's just frustrating that so far they have nothing to show for it.

Confidence in each other would help this team a whole lot, then they might feel less inhibited about how they go about their own game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here