Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Palace really hate us?

Madness

Dec 7, 2010
Just found out the new gf has a Palace supporting dad and brother who regularly attend games. Thankfully she has no interest in them and has agreed to come to Falmer to 'give football a proper go'. Not sure if she will but be nice to make her root for us over them if things work out.
To be honest if her family are Palace your dumped

Madness

Dec 7, 2010
I don't think that's strictly true. I went to the big Brighton v Palace derbies in 70's and ended up with stitches in a head wound from one of the away games. Not by a Palace fan but by a bus conductor. I consider myself to be a proper Brighton fan.

I think it's an age thing. For instance 'hate' is a very strong word that I would say is used more by the younger generation. Try the word dislike instead and I imagine most people of my generation would say that they 'dislike' rather than hate certain football teams or whatever subject matter they are talking about.

Yep agree hate is the wrong word dislike is better, hate should be kept for paedo's , rapist etc. I recon that bus conductor was a Palace fan though

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Have to question the upbringing.

If you are Brighton, you hate Palace. Simple as

Well said that man.
I'm one of the older generation of posters on here, and can remember the beginning of the rivalry in the 70's. Prior to that we considered Portsmouth to be our biggest rivals, but for me the Palarse will always be hated enemy. I detest them as much now as I did in 1975.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest Palace fans who are about 25+ know there is a rivalry with Brighton. Unfortunately those younger Palace fans seem to think its Charlton (because Charlton are a nothing faceless club with no rivals who are trying to get one as no one actually dislikes them - apart from me and my irrational hatred of them) or Millwall (who regard the Hammers as theirs)

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
How can anyone hate or dislike MILLWALL..............:tumble:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
No problem with 'wall here fwiw. It's all about the Palace for me. I remember as a kid (late 70's) that there was a split in the west of the county between Pompey and Palace hating (or disliking...) As for Man United, don't have an issue with the club or the locals or indeed those with a proper reason for being supporters. Only have an axe to grind with the gloryseeking fuckwits who leech on to something successful like a parasite in order to give their existence some validity. They can f*** right off.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Palace are geographically closer to other clubs, while we quite isolated, so it's only natural that they would have rivalries with other teams.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
What do you mean by don't mind?

I have a very good mate at work who is from Southborough way and has always followed Palace (He's about late 30s). I have the best mutual respect for this guy and his passion for his club (local club) who he's grown up supporting. I can have a proper football chat with this guy who I consider to be about the only other real football fan I work with - I don't count the silly girl who reckons she supports Man U cos she watches them on SKY occaionally and didn't even realise they lost to W Ham the other night, Or the 'Spurs fan' who doesn't even know when they're playing etc etc. I hate Palace and my mate hates Brighton but there's such a high level of respect there we look out for each others results and text every weekend. It really has changed my views on the rivalry from when i was just a kid a few yrs back.

I have more respect for a Palace fan supporting their team than any plastic idiot fan from Sussex. Esp the plastic idiot fans who have the cheek to take the piss out of Brighton - they're the worst of all.

ex-bloody-actly

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
And I 2nd the above too.

I was 'of an age' throughout those 70's & 80's games when the adrenilin would flow and you'd have butterflies in your stomach all day with the tension of what may well happen on & off the pitch. It was scary, it was madness and, at the time, it was such a buzz.

Now I'm glad'that' side has gone and football is now pretty safe. There's no other team I'm happier to beat or hate to lose to but I have mates who support Palace and really, in these last few years, they've had to go through a little of what we've had to suffer so i can't help but respect their real fans.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Originally Posted by sheebo

I have a very good mate at work who is from Southborough way and has always followed Palace (He's about late 30s). I have the best mutual respect for this guy and his passion for his club (local club) who he's grown up supporting. I can have a proper football chat with this guy who I consider to be about the only other real football fan I work with - I don't count the silly girl who reckons she supports Man U cos she watches them on SKY occaionally and didn't even realise they lost to W Ham the other night, Or the 'Spurs fan' who doesn't even know when they're playing etc etc. I hate Palace and my mate hates Brighton but there's such a high level of respect there we look out for each others results and text every weekend. It really has changed my views on the rivalry from when i was just a kid a few yrs back.

I have more respect for a Palace fan supporting their team than any plastic idiot fan from Sussex. Esp the plastic idiot fans who have the cheek to take the piss out of Brighton - they're the worst of all

I think it depends on your age.im 37 & went to my first game in 83.
since then we have played palace probably less than 30 times.
(im sure sure somebody will proove me wrong)

i think that most of the hatred of palace has been handed down
& think over recent years palace have had more rivalries with local london
clubs like millwall/charlton

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I have more respect for a Palace fan supporting their team than any plastic idiot fan from Sussex. Esp the plastic idiot fans who have the cheek to take the piss out of Brighton - they're the worst of all.

Agree sheebo but that's what makes it possible to have a proper rivalry with them. You can't have a rivalry with a plastic, can you?

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Absolutely, my dad brought me up to hate Palace and that i do. Its strange because ive never even been to a brighton palace game yet, but i absolutely cant stand them, even the sight of their shirt makes me think EUGH! lol its in the upbringing haha

Yes but that's because your dad hates them twice over ... As an Albion fan and a closet Mealwar fan
;-) :laugh:

Not sure why we would want the rivalry to continue???it was all about kicking the dog doo out of each other,with my boys going to the albion i would not want them to be on the end of what was dished out in the past:eek:Don't get the sad gits who never took part in the aggro but want to keep the hatred going.They would be the first to squeal if they suffered at the hands of the aggro:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here