Do I stay or do I go

Stay or Go>

• Stay & keep the easy life

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Leave & take the challenge

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

Stumpy Tim

I've just been offered a new job, with exactly the same money as before doing a very similar role. Should I go or should I stay?

I've worked for my present company for 4 1/2 years so I know a lot of people, am respected by most of them, work in Sydney on my own (nearest colleague is 9 hours flight away), and I'm left to my own devices within reason.

I've now been offered a job at our competitors - Verisign. The commission rate is higer, & the target is smaller. They have 20 people in Sydney so I'll have colleagues & it's a fresh challenge. Also means I won't have to travel as much. On the other hand, I'll be starting from scratch & won't know any of their solutions too well.

So what do you reckon?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with DKM. You'll never know what you're missing unless you find out. Otherwise 4.5 years will turn into 14.5 years before you know it and you won't know HOW to change things before it's too late.

Just make sure you leave on good terms.

tell them you have been given this offer by the rivals.....they will probably offer you a renewed package to stay. So you could stay but with more readies!

If they don't then they don't really want you!!!!!

Either way the Company would have helped you with your decision,

LC:wave:

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
having lived here for 18 years tim i'd say be careful.............your job offer could well be a ploy to slow the opposition and things may not work out as you might envisage......my wifes cousin came here from uk to start up an accountancy software company, she was headhunted within three months and out of a job and on her way home within six........good luck.

better the devil you know old son............???

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Are you happy where you are currently working?

I'd be more inclined to leave as change is usually good, that's unless you like it where you are.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I said leave but don't listen to me. Sydney's post looks a bit worrying. Speak to people. :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
London Calling said:
tell them you have been given this offer by the rivals.....they will probably offer you a renewed package to stay. So you could stay but with more readies!

If they don't then they don't really want you!!!!!

Either way the Company would have helped you with your decision,

LC:wave:

Definately the way to go, tell them about the offer and see what they come up with.
If its not good then go.

Stumpy Tim

sydney said:
having lived here for 18 years tim i'd say be careful.............your job offer could well be a ploy to slow the opposition and things may not work out as you might envisage......my wifes cousin came here from uk to start up an accountancy software company, she was headhunted within three months and out of a job and on her way home within six........good luck.

better the devil you know old son............???

I did think that, but they are growing at 50% a year for the last 4 years so it's a good place to be. I reckon it's time to move on.

I would say if you are happy where you are then stay put. There is a lot of margin for f***-ups when you move. If you are not 100% happy on the other hand, use this offer to negotiate a better deal where you are now, if they don't play ball you, fcuk em and move on the bigger and better things.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
If you go there will be trouble, but you stay it will be double

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I changed jobs a couple of years ago and was offered very similar terms by 2 different companies. I was torn between which offer to accept, so in the end I made my decision based on the standard of the office totty.

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
nwgull said:
I changed jobs a couple of years ago and was offered very similar terms by 2 different companies. I was torn between which offer to accept, so in the end I made my decision based on the standard of the office totty.
Thats the way:lolol: :clap:

Its very important to have decent people around you at work,go have a look at the possible new surroundings and of course the top totty:drink: :drink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
nwgull said:
How did you do that then? Ask about the CRUMPET in the interview? It's not like you get a guided tour of the top office cabbage before you've started is it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
I've just been offered a new job, with exactly the same money as before doing a very similar role. Should I go or should I stay?

I've worked for my present company for 4 1/2 years so I know a lot of people, am respected by most of them, work in Sydney on my own (nearest colleague is 9 hours flight away), and I'm left to my own devices within reason.

I've now been offered a job at our competitors - Verisign. The commission rate is higer, & the target is smaller. They have 20 people in Sydney so I'll have colleagues & it's a fresh challenge. Also means I won't have to travel as much. On the other hand, I'll be starting from scratch & won't know any of their solutions too well.

So what do you reckon?

Not that tricky Tim. Here's some options:

a) Have a quiet word & let your bosses know you're on the point of resigning to join 'a competitor'. Don't say who. They'll almost certainly offer you a pay rise to stay. In fact they almost always do in order to keep a valued employee - but usually only when it's too late & the deal's already done.

b) Tell your prospective new company that there's no way you'll join them for the same money. They'll almost certainly offer you a pay rise to join.

c) Go contracting (loadsa Sydney-based jobs on www.jobserve.co.uk). Then simply go where you get paid the most.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here