Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Germany now keep the trophy as it is their third win with the "newer" trophy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do find it a touch strange that East Germany actually played West Germany in the 1974 World Cup, and now have claim to 4 titles, 3 of which were won by a team (country) they played against.

Edit:

And West Germany won in 74, so how does that work then?

Bits of Germany, France and Poland have all changed hands at some point. So, do Poland have a claim for WC success?

Bits of Germany, France and Poland have all changed hands at some point. So, do Poland have a claim for WC success?

You misunderstand me HT, I'm not suggesting that Germany have only won one, that would be childish, I just find it a strange that one nation has played another in the same competition and now has Tournament Victories.

A curiosity rather than a moan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The UK is one country. We enter 4 teams.
Careful, you'll have Simster on your case saying that. We are indeed one country, but we are able to enter 4 teams. If we were united (in footballing terms) to enter one country, our records shouldn't be added together.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Careful, you'll have Simster on your case saying that. We are indeed one country, but we are able to enter 4 teams. If we were united (in footballing terms) to enter one country, our records shouldn't be added together.

'West Germany' is only the name given to the Bundesrepublik Deutschland by the West. It was still 'Germany', even though the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (East Germany) existed as a notional sovereign state within the Eastern bloc from 1949 to 1990.

Reunification bought East Germany back into the Bundesrepublik Deutschland which actually still remains formally as that today.

So in real terms, the Bundesrepublik Deutschland have won the world cup 4 times, regardless of whether parts of territory were annexed as a separate nation state or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here