Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do England have any world class players?

DavePage

So we base everything around Rooney! So he plays in the third game because he needs to get into the competition. Doesn’t matter how many points we need from the game, he looked so good in Switzerland this week (I mean the suit for the appeal, was he actually playing in the champions league game?) He was so good in the World Cup 2010 (NOT), didn’t we put so much on his importance in that competition?
So here we go again, he had a great start to this season, but we are taking him anyway hoping his second hotspot of the year is going to be in the Euros, unlikely, especially with all of that traveling we have to do from our base camp.
You have to be honest and say that if Barnes had missed so many sitters for us in the Championship you guys (some) would be wanting his head. (Giggs didn’t help his passing was appalling, he spent more time appealing throw-in and free kick decisions.) But Rooney’s chances were sitters for anyone let alone someone on his money. What’s the chances of him being sent off in the third game as we go out of the competition. (hopefully not, especially on the going out) but would you trust him??

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Ashley Cole is the only one I'd call world class.

Rooney should be but he wasn't just average at the last WC, he was awful.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I like Joe Hart, but, Spain have 3 better goalkeepers than him in their squad.

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
How many England players have been successful overseas? Ever? Probably Beckham. Can't think of any others. I don't think we have had a world class player in decades.

Most stupid post of the day goes to this.

Let's be honest half of Barcelona's players are world class, many have only played in La Liga, including Xavi, Iniesta, Villa not to mention a certain Messi. A player does not have to play overseas to be world class.

IMO to be recognised as world class, a player must perform to a high standard at every level consistently, often be outstanding, achieve success and be arguably the best in their position.

Ashley Cole would get my vote, he was England's only performer at the World Cup and still pulls it off for Chelsea. I do not believe there is a better left back.

Rooney can be class but at present I'd rather have Ronaldo, Messi, Villa, Van Persie, Neymar in my team.

Wilshere is not world class, he is a hot prospect for England, he only has a hand full of caps and barely played 50 game in the prem.

Problem in England is we the media hype our players up soooo much that end up believing it.

Englands world class players since I've been watching them are:

Shearer
Owen
Lampard
Gerrard
Beckham
Cole
Ferdinand
Scholes

I wouldn't say many of these were world class at the same time otherwise we would of been alot closer to winning something.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Do we need world class players? Obviously it helps but the Germans have a history of doing well even when lacking anyone world class.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Thats th problem at italia 90 lineaker gazza shilts pearce walker beardsly all considerd up there with the best ,now only ashley cole even that so called golden generation didnt live up to all the hype

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
I still think we are behind quite alot of teams/countries as we are not as good technically and still struggle to retain possession of the ball well enough even lower ranked sides still keep the ball better than us

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Last world class player we had was Gascoigne, for me to be world class you have to make an impact on the world stage. Beckham was close but not quite there. Its also more important to have a world class team than a bunch of individuals who happen to be great players.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Don't think it was a stupid post[ , great players agreed but they never achieved enough on the international stage to be recognised as world class, I think there are only ever 5-10 world class players at any one time.

QUOTE=Brimmermusic;4560702]Most stupid post of the day goes to this.

Let's be honest half of Barcelona's players are world class, many have only played in La Liga, including Xavi, Iniesta, Villa not to mention a certain Messi. A player does not have to play overseas to be world class.

IMO to be recognised as world class, a player must perform to a high standard at every level consistently, often be outstanding, achieve success and be arguably the best in their position.

Ashley Cole would get my vote, he was England's only performer at the World Cup and still pulls it off for Chelsea. I do not believe there is a better left back.

Rooney can be class but at present I'd rather have Ronaldo, Messi, Villa, Van Persie, Neymar in my team.

Wilshere is not world class, he is a hot prospect for England, he only has a hand full of caps and barely played 50 game in the prem.

Problem in England is we the media hype our players up soooo much that end up believing it.

Shearer
Owen
Lampard
Gerrard
Beckham
Cole
Ferdinand
Scholes

I wouldn't say many of these were world class at the same time otherwise we would of been alot closer to winning something.[/QUOTE]

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
Don't think it was a stupid post[ , great players agreed but they never achieved enough on the international stage to be recognised as world class, I think there are only ever 5-10 world class players at any one time.
[/QUOTE]

5 world class players at one time, are you being serious?

So hypothetically speaking there could be 2 world class strikers, 1 midfielder, 1 defender and 1 goalkeeper at one time and that's it?

What you say is ridiculous.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
our definition of world class obviously are worlds apart, you use words like stupid and ridiculous very freely but it is just a different perspective from yours. world class players for me are Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Messi to name a few. The absolute pinnacle of world football. Loads of fantastic players out there but to be world class you need to be amongst the elite.

So hypothetically speaking there could be 2 world class strikers, 1 midfielder, 1 defender and 1 goalkeeper at one time and that's it?

What you say is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
our definition of world class obviously are worlds apart, you use words like stupid and ridiculous very freely but it is just a different perspective from yours. world class players for me are Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Van Basten, Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Messi to name a few. The absolute pinnacle of world football. Loads of fantastic players out there but to be world class you need to be amongst the elite.

What you say is ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]

But surely its relative to the position you play in? If you are the best in the world in your position does that not make you world class?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thats th problem at italia 90 lineaker gazza shilts pearce walker beardsly all considerd up there with the best ,now only ashley cole even that so called golden generation didnt live up to all the hype

Not Shilton. Well past it by then!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

QUOTE=Brimmermusic;4560702]Most stupid post of the day goes to this.

Shearer
Owen
Lampard
Gerrard
Beckham
Cole
Ferdinand
Scholes

I wouldn't say many of these were world class at the same time otherwise we would of been alot closer to winning something.
[/QUOTE]

Apologies for the stupidest post of the day!

Perhaps what I should have said is if we have world class players how come nobody outside the premiership wants them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How many England players have been successful overseas? Ever? Probably Beckham. Can't think of any others. I don't think we have had a world class player in decades.
Oh behave. Some of our best players haven't played for a foreign club, that doesn't mean they aren't world class. When Liverpool were 3 0 down against Milan, Gerrard almost won the champions league almost single handed. You think Chelsea and Man U played each other in the final of the champions league without any world class English players? Again, daft.

And you don't think we've had a successful player overseas, ever, except Beckham. How old are you? So Lineker wasn't successful at Barcelona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here