Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do BHAFC Fans Have The Highest Standards Of Any Football Fans Anywhere In The World?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Random thought: our expectations as fans are downright PERVERSE:

For example:

1. We have a chairman that delivers us from evil, gets a proven stadium-builder on board, brings us back to Brighton, keeps us out of administration, delivers planning permission for a gorgeous 21st century stadium we can move into in two years time - and some of us STILL moan?

2. We spend the most money on a player in the past quarter century, he scores four goals in five games in his first month here and gets named Div 1 Player Of The Month that same month and some of us STILL moan?

3. Our good and faithful lardy ginger servant hits four hundred games - and some of us STILL moan?

4. We win dogfights at our current home, a local decrepit athletics track, against piss poor opposition in a piss poor league and look destined for the play-offs by default no matter how badly we play - and some of us STILL moan?

5. I could go on...

Funny old game aye? And a funny old club. Who would ever want to support anybody else?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes we do, with the possible exception of those England fans who think we have a divine right to win every game 17-0, not to mention every World Cup and European Championship going, only to be disappointed when we lose on penalties to Portugal.

Again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well... this is REALLY turning into a thread for learned debate :rolleyes:

(mods, please delete, we've all held hands and have been unable to contact the living)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think every club has their moaners THPP, but as NSC is relatively popular, certainly more so than many other clubs' forums, the moaning is concentrated.

I think also everyone realises that some catastrophe is just around the corner, as always, and there is going to be negativity waiting for it, whatever it may be.

We can concentrate on moaning about JUST the team, when we finally get Falmer and that is every supporters perogative.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Random thought: our expectations as fans are downright PERVERSE:

For example:

1. We have a chairman that delivers us from evil, gets a proven stadium-builder on board, brings us back to Brighton, keeps us out of administration, delivers planning permission for a gorgeous 21st century stadium we can move into in two years time - and some of us STILL moan?

2. We spend the most money on a player in the past quarter century, he scores four goals in five games in his first month here and gets named Div 1 Player Of The Month that same month and some of us STILL moan?

3. Our good and faithful lardy ginger servant hits four hundred games - and some of us STILL moan?

4. We win dogfights at our current home, a local decrepit athletics track, against piss poor opposition in a piss poor league and look destined for the play-offs by default no matter how badly we play - and some of us STILL moan?

5. I could go on...

Funny old game aye? And a funny old club. Who would ever want to support anybody else?

Fans expectations at any club are high - mainly because at a basic level all fans want their team to do well. The problem is that most of us fans are, in the end, optimistic. The first sign of a decent run or even one good performance and we hope to get into the play offs. People don't take kindly to excuses like "we play at an athletics stadium", because we don't want to resign to being stuck anywhere. Plus - it's not a great excuse since in the last 6 years we've played 3 seasons in the Championship.

As for your points:
1. I agree with you, Knight really deserves more trust, respect and gratitude than he gets.

2. I agree with you in the most part here, although he has been poor on several occasions (he wasn't great on Saturday) and people will notice this. Obviously we can't expect him to play a blinder every match but equally you can't just ignore a bad performance just like when he scores a hattrick we will all be singing his praises.

3. Mayo has been a great servant to the club but I don't think there's anyone who really thinks he's good enough anymore. I think there's even less people who think he is our best available. Unfortunately in a competitive league there isn't room for sentimentality, so I don't think fans are having high standards to moan when he comes on.

4. Alreayd addressed this really - but we've done it before so in theory there's no reason why we couldn't again. I think people sometimes have a tendancy to be a little harsh when we don't look like play-off material but find me a football club anywhere that doesn't moan when we play like we did against Cheltenham.

If you want high standards - look at the fans moaning about Alan Curbishley for losing to Chelsea and Liverpool, and only being 10th in the Premiership (after just avoiding relegation last season)! Or what about people moaning about Man U's performance against Lyon on Tuesday - they only scored the one goal to get through to the last 8 in Europe!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
to be fair anyone who has supported this club for over 10 years has been used to so many kicks in the teeth it's not true, and we arn't talking the usual football kicks. I reckon alot moan as it's what they've always done watching the Albion. It will take many years of re-education

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think there are some Brighton fans who think we have a god-given right to a new stadium and to a place in the championship and to sign any player who we send a scout to have a look at!

ack

Apr 20, 2006
25-30 yrs ago when we were winning week in and week out people were still moaning about performances and players etc.
For those that can remember the Goldstone was near falling apart through lack of investment under them who shouldnt be named,(rem the east stand,anyone).
I for one look forward to the day we can get 30k plus twirling scarfs again and will back Knight to steer us in that direction until proved wrong.
If we ever get someone with multi million pounds to invest the I will change but until then get behind what we got.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Indeed, our fans do whinge and moan. But that is every fans perogative. I think the fact that every single Brighton fan is passionate about the club says it all.

B & HA stand on the cusp of something spectacular. An amazing striking partnership (possibly the best for a long while) which could get us into the championship, a new stadium in the next couple of years, and the passionate fan base means that B & HA will continue for a long time.

It's the fans passion that counts. B & HA has the most passionate fans in the country.

FACT.!!!!

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The trouble is THPP, that for many people they've got so used to fighting enemies (Bellotti, Archer, Withdean Residents (SWEAT), Falmer Parish, Lewes District etc etc etc) that they now dont know who to fight. There are also some youg'uns (now early 20s) who missed the main battles and identifying real villains that they are looking for their Gulls Eye moment now and looking for conspiracy theories or other breaking news anywhere.

This kind of behaviour is common in uprising or revolution politics and the interniscine fighting that follows is all too familiar. This sniping will go on for a few years after we are at falmer and will cause schisms in the fan sections.

Oh and then there are wind up merchants like Arthur!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We moaned like buggery the year we finished around 13th in the top flight and the manager got the sack for letting us play dull football, so what's changed? Albion have always had moany fans with unrealistic expectations.

Btw - Knight and Wilkins OUT if we don't make the auto promotion spots this season, playoffs just won't be good enough imo!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not really Tom, ask Spurs or Newcastle fans. The Falmer pictures and computer images look great I agree but thats all there are at the moment images. I will get excited when I see the Stadium in all its REAL glory until then I reserve the right to moan at Withdean if thats alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here