Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do Albion have any "Lame Duck" players?

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
If Andone could sort his personality issues out then he'd surely be a welcome member of the squad. Can't think of anyone we need to ship out.

Do you mean being sent off for a bad foul .Wanted to move on loan to get more playing time ,other then that what are these issues ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Do you mean being sent off for a bad foul .Wanted to move on loan to get more playing time ,other then that what are these issues ?

I think Paul Hayward's tweet alluded to it i.e. he'd need to hire a telephone box for the farewell party.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I like ducks. They make me laugh. Totally quackers.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, but he is reliable at the back. He makes a few misteaks but its rare.

Don't we all, I think, with another good performance possibly tonight, and the confidence of his goal last week (very good) he's as good a bet in a flat back 4 as BDB. I suppose that depends on the opposition and playing to each players qualities accordingly.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The start of an article from The Athletic today (this piece was freely distributed in an email today, the remainder is behind the paywall)...

Why clubs are struggling to sell ‘lame duck’ players

For executives up and down the country, there is never an easy time to sell a player who has fallen out of favour but this summer the task became a whole lot harder than usual.

Previously, fringe players could still get moves despite missing out on regular football. “Stocking fillers,” one leading agent calls them. Managers looking to pad out squads could take a chance on a signing if the price was right.

But tightened finances and the increased frequency of matches mean clubs can no longer afford to risk buying a gift that doesn’t work, no matter how low the cost.

“The market is saying, ‘If you’ve not played or had unsuccessful loans, you aren’t getting a new club’,” the agent adds. “There are no stocking fillers anymore.”

Players fitting that description can be found at nearly every club in the Premier League. They have provided meaningful contributions in the past but are now stuck on the sidelines due to a change in circumstances and, usually, are earning the kind of wages that make departures complicated.

At Arsenal, for example, there are Matteo Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira and Mesut Ozil. Danny Rose firmly occupies that category for Tottenham Hotspur, with team-mate Dele Alli in danger of heading the same way. Chelsea have Danny Drinkwater, Tiemoue Bakayoko and, soon, Kepa Arrizabalaga on the books but out of the picture.

Manchester United have a glut, chiefly Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo, Andreas Pereira, Sergio Romero and Diogo Dalot. At Liverpool, Xherdan Shaqiri could be put in the same bracket. Manchester City? Oleksandr Zinchenko.

The issue is no different outside the division’s elite.​

It strkes me the Albion have been very efficient, almost ruthless, in getting ride of "lame ducks" over the last 12-18 months although what happens to some of the senior players out on loan - Locadia, Duffy, Clarke may determine that and we still have Florin Andone lingering about like a bad smell too.

It was only a couple of months ago that Guendozi was being linked with Barca.

He's only 21 ffs!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Reading through the thread, got to admire TB and Barber-out and their management of the club. Building from the 'bottom up' philosophy of the Amex, Lancing, youth set-up, DA and then GP with the longer term in mind rather than spunking millions on has-been players on top dollar, playing in a tin shack in the arse end of London.

A lot to admire. Including the quality of most of the signings along the way.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
I think Paul Hayward's tweet alluded to it i.e. he'd need to hire a telephone box for the farewell party.

So this guy was in the know allegedly ,so we have to believe it then .Somewhere on this Forum there was Andone messaging other players on instagram or twitter seemed likes it`s not that bad after all .A lot will depend when he recovers from injury will he still want away or if GP will play him .The other thing is will he be the same player after the injury, he was a Player with pace .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Locadia certainly fits the bill. Expensively acquired, not good enough, big wages. Ali J must be a candidate too.

I used to think that about Ali J too, but I've changed my mind. Unlike Locadia, who whined in the press that he wasn't getting a chance when he most certainly was, Ali J has taken it all on the chin, worked hard and is now a squad regular - not a starter but regularly a sub.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Glad to see this thread hasn’t turned into the ritual slagging off of whoever is deemed a poster’s weakest link at the time......(easily could have done). I think the club have learned some very clear lessons as time in the PL has elapsed and this is now bearing fruit. Clear direction and strategy, better management, better recruitment etc etc.

Just because players become less of a first choice than they were As others come in, doesn’t mean they were, or are, lame ducks. We’ll ALWAYS be looking to upgrade individual positions if the opportunity arises. The ‘Locadia Days’ appear to be behind us.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So this guy was in the know allegedly ,so we have to believe it then .Somewhere on this Forum there was Andone messaging other players on instagram or twitter seemed likes it`s not that bad after all .A lot will depend when he recovers from injury will he still want away or if GP will play him .The other thing is will he be the same player after the injury, he was a Player with pace .

True on both counts. Only ever half the story.

If the positive half is true, then let's hope he returns to match fitness and gives us options.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I used to think that about Ali J too, but I've changed my mind. Unlike Locadia, who whined in the press that he wasn't getting a chance when he most certainly was, Ali J has taken it all on the chin, worked hard and is now a squad regular - not a starter but regularly a sub.

Brave of you to say that. I too am coming around to Ali J, and he’s certainly a model pro credit him that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here