Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Mind - has anyone here been to Belgrade? I went to see Kraftwerk in February a few years back with a mate (tickets were 30 quid). Amazingly
friendly and nice people, beer was as cheap as chips (2.50 for a pint), great army museum and guided tour, the food was some of the best I've ever had. The only down side was that they allow smoking in every bar and restaurants and all the youngsters seem to smoke. But amazing place and people all the same. Not that this is relevant to the thread. Just saying.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. Not a great start to the trip when my taxi driver from the airport gave me change of 20p in the form of a note rather than the £20 I was owed. From that point onwards they were all treated with a lot of suspicion which with their general miserable demeanour didn’t make for a great trip

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've seen these images, are they authentic/genuine? There doesn't seem to be much official word on this, only twitter people...
I think the events were very well attended so presumably if the images were fake someone who had been there would pipe up.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Mind - has anyone here been to Belgrade? I went to see Kraftwerk in February a few years back with a mate (tickets were 30 quid). Amazingly
friendly and nice people, beer was as cheap as chips (2.50 for a pint), great army museum and guided tour, the food was some of the best I've ever had. The only down side was that they allow smoking in every bar and restaurants and all the youngsters seem to smoke. But amazing place and people all the same. Not that this is relevant to the thread. Just saying.

the balkans are fantastic

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That is a bit of a silly Daily Mailesc exaggeration. He followed the rules he believed he was set and was then refused entry regardless. He’s not done anything likely to kill anyone.

Yes he has. He's been photographed after a positive PCR test with no mask and a crowd of people around him. How do you know one of them isn't vulnerable?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So the transcript of his interviews with Australian Border Force have been released. Few things from it:

1. I can see why the Judge ruled as he did. Border Force employee made a meal of it.

2. Confirmed that Djokovic (or, rather, his agent) didn't understand what was required to get the Visa and effectively applied for the Visa relying on invalid exemptions. Looks like they've made the (understandable?) mistake of assuming that a Victoria government exemption for entry to the state would allow him entry to Australia. I'm surprised the Aussie government lawyers didn't fight harder on it.

I think the irony here is that Djokovic, in fighting against what was a legally correct (but procedurally poorly handled) cancellation of his Visa may now end up missing the next *three* Aussie Opens if Hawke does decide to exercise his power.

(On another note, as an Aussie who is old enough to remember Australia having a PM named Hawke (for Labor), it is rather jarring to now be talking about a Hawke who is a minister in a Liberal/National government).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Aaaaand breaking news from the Djokovic family press conference just in: having been asked questions about what Novax was doing the day after his positive test result, they immediately stopped the press conference.

Tells us all we need to know, I think - they're happy to get stuck in to a feast of "we beat the system" but not happy to handle the awkward questions that have been raised as a result of them trying to beat the system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here