Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY question - plastering inside of stone shed

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
As my family grows and my disposable income dissappears it is becoming ever more apparent that we will need to make use of the somewhat decrepit large stone shed in our garden. The first thing that i will need to do is plaster/make nice (technical term) the inside of the shed walls. This will need to be done by myself as we do not have the money to pay for a professional to do it. I have never done anything like this before - certainly not on this scale. I've probably got about 150-200 square feet of wall space to cover and I was wondering how to go about doing this.

Can i hire a spray plastering tool to make the job manageable? (i've seen something called a tyrolean roughcast applicator for hire - can this be used? If so can it be smoothed after application?)

What about damproofing? I'm only thinking of doings the walls as the roof is corrugated iron - will they need treatment beforehand?

Am I mad for even considering this?

Any advice greatfully recieved - whether it helps me to get the job done or dissuades me from entering into a world of pain.

Thanks,

NR.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it doesn't have a damp course, I wouldn't bother.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Doesn't it depend what he is going to use it for?

Is actually anyone going to sleep/live in it or is it just extra space for the summer/garden use?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
the plan for the moment is to use it for storage - though i would not rule out putting people up for the night in it when visiting if it could be done.

thanks for the advice already - i like the idea of blackjacking the walls (whatever that is) then applying a wooden frame and plasterboard.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Blackjack or liquid damproof membrane can be bought in 5 litre pots in Wickes for under a tenner.
If you then baton the walls ahead of boarding this should do a reasonable job.

DONT bother plastering an outbuilding with no DPC

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used 'Vandex' for damproofing when I did something similar, you can buy it at builders merchants.
You mix it up like cement till it is like a slurry then paint it on with a big brush, 2 coats will damproof anything.
It was what they used to damproof the Channel Tunnel, easier to use than blackjack and a lot easier to clean up, about the same price as well if I remember right.
It can then be rendered straight on top of, but remember if you are going to dry line it on a timber frame you must fill all holes drilled for wall plugs etc. with silicone or the sealer coating will be broken, this will count for all holes drilled in the walls.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Don't use blackjack on the walls - get a couple of bags of Vandex ( or Thoroseal) from a builders merchants, it's more expensive but much better. When you have dampproofed the walls don't puncture them with nails or screws( or you will let damp in again), fix the plasterboard to the walls with drywall bonding compound .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Vandex is the dog's thingy's. What's the floor?

We've just had the walls of our sitting room at Bracknell Towers stripped down to the bare brickwork, treated with Vandex, replastered and painted. The plasterer tells us it's magic stuff.

Before the Vandex ...

p1002862416-4.jpg

Before the plastering ...

p206252105-4.jpg

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Vandex IS the dog's dangleys - I've got a whole sitting room mainly constructed of the stuff - but I'd still consider getting a quote to have the job done properly. It may not be as expensive as you think. It may also be cheaper to knock the whole thing down and start again.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Does it have a dpc? and is the roof going to be battened and boarded? No point in doing the walls otherwise...

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
The starting point is to stop damp penetrating from the outside.

Graingers solution is ideal for stone/ brickwork etc and is easily applied by brush and doesnt really change the appearance of the substrate.

This combined with damp-proofing internally and dryliniing with plasterboard should do the trick.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
dont forget to get a manky radio that can be covered with splatter when you do the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here