Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY Conservatories

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I installed a mahogany Victoriana design extended octagonal conservatory in 1992 and would most certainly not recommend you build your own. Best to have a symmetrical design to ensure equal expansion and if you need to take the roof over an external window, best use a box recess which actually goes into the masonry of the house . Here in Glasgow I still get 115 deg F in the conservatory in the Summer and down in SBTS it would get even hotter, especially if South facing.
A few other things to consider.
i)Always make it bigger than you need, you can't easily make a small conservatory large after construction, without essentially knocking it down.
ii)Put in a dwarf wall around on which to mount the conservatory, it makes for a great feature.
iii)Terracotta tiled floors, with electric underfloor heating is great. I don't have it because the underfloor technology in 1991 was expensive and non too reliable. It now comes with a 100 year guarantee and gives you all year round use.
iv)If you want to install radiators then make sure you can isolate them and drain them down so they don't freeze in the Winter.
v)Beware brown UPVC, it still has leaching issues and can be UV brittle and white after a few years exposure.
vi)Glass roofs are best . Especially the new UV resistant treble glazed Pilkington glass, if you can afford it. Corrugated plastic roofs are weaker and very noisy in the rain.

As a post note, we in tend to move from Towner's Mansions in the next couple of years and I will build a conservatory on my new gaff , wherever that is. Probably a B&Q style one , low cost and the current specifications are very impressive.

Hope that helps

TNBA

TTF

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope you like cane furniture :ohmy:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yes.......that's easy!!.................... It will involve my fingers and your throat and a steady "in / out" motion........it will produce a reaction!! :lol: ..... hope you and yours are all well mate :thumbsup:

Ah, true what they say about things never being as good second time round - no doubt choco-vomit included ....

I'm NTB cheers bud, Missus been low for a few months - more colo-rectal surgery last November and "released" just before Xmas - still off work but driving again now - pushing the skills of the Tissue Viability Team at QEHB to their limits, including the military trainees too. She's been 6 months diagnosed type-1 diabetic now too (same as me) and they elected to leave her Gall bladder [stones] alone. Getting there slowly ... but diet for her is now a nightmare.

Low fibre for "J" pouch
Low/no fat for Gall Bladder
Low Carb for diabetes

Even the dietician shrugged her shoulders at the hospital and said "be wary of eating too much protein" .... been I right nightmare, but there's always folk worse off .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here