Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dispute with BT

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Dont know if there's anyone on here who can tell me where I stand with the following:
Left BT Broadband to go to Sky Broadband with Sky giving me an activation date of the 12th July. Sky then send me the router and I replace the BT router with the new Sky router and I set it up ready for activation on the 12th.
The 12th comes and goes and Sky says there is a problem with the cabling and tie pairs at the exchange and give me another activation date of the 16th. This also comes and goes still stating that BT Openworld have not activated it yet .
Two weeks later BT Openworld finally connect me onto Sky Broadband on the 27th.
A month later I receive my final Broadband bill from BT and they are charging me for Broadband till the 27th surely they can't do this as I changed my router to the Sky router on the 12th and it was BT Openworld that didnt activate me to Sky Broadband till the 27th so I couldnt use BT Broadband anyway

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
If you were on a contract that you couldn't break, you were liable to the payment. Assuming Sky will only start charging you from the 27th, so that should balance it out?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
If you were on a contract that you couldn't break, you were liable to the payment. Assuming Sky will only start charging you from the 27th, so that should balance it out?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The router you were using is irrelevant. Firstly Sky should not start charging you until the day that the service was actually switched. I am assuming that you were at the end of your contract with BT so you could argue that you had not asked for the service so are not going to pay for it. However unless you did not actually use it then I would expect to lose.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you hadn't been switched to Sky, surely the BT router would have still been working and you could have used it? Therefore, they will charge you for providing the service.

I'm hoping I have better luck when Sky broadband goes live for me this Friday. At least I don't have any contract with BT to disconnect at the same time (having cancelled it on our last residence in July before moving), but will be mightily miffed if it doesn't go smoothly.

I've had no end of trouble in the past with Openreach being unable to connect on the specified date, so have vowed never to move again!

When I was first moving into the house we're in now, they (Openreach) just cancelled the order three times due to a problem their end, but didn't bother advising anyone each time until I asked Orange why nothing was working.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A month later I receive my final Broadband bill from BT and they are charging me for Broadband till the 27th surely they can't do this as I changed my router to the Sky router on the 12th and it was BT Openworld that didnt activate me to Sky Broadband till the 27th so I couldnt use BT Broadband anyway

when you change the router device doesnt make any difference, as you are paying for the connection service. any compatible router can be used on the line regardless of the provider, have my own router for instance. as above, your new billing should start on the 27th so even it out.

D

Deleted member 18477

If you hadn't been switched to Sky, surely the BT router would have still been working and you could have used it? Therefore, they will charge you for providing the service.

I'm hoping I have better luck when Sky broadband goes live for me this Friday. At least I don't have any contract with BT to disconnect at the same time (having cancelled it on our last residence in July before moving), but will be mightily miffed if it doesn't go smoothly.

I've had no end of trouble in the past with Openreach being unable to connect on the specified date, so have vowed never to move again!

When I was first moving into the house we're in now, they (Openreach) just cancelled the order three times due to a problem their end, but didn't bother advising anyone each time until I asked Orange why nothing was working.

i had a great experience with Openreach. I ordered... through BT retail... Openreach connected my line and set up my BT infinity. Works perfect, cant complain!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i had a great experience with Openreach. I ordered... through BT retail... Openreach connected my line and set up my BT infinity. Works perfect, cant complain!

Funny how you get a good service when you buy a BT product, huh? :shrug:

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
BT have just told me that BT are nothing to do with BT Openreach.
Thing was I was still charged for 2 weeks internet that I couldnt use and they told me to get the money back from Sky

D

Deleted member 18477

Thing was I was still charged for 2 weeks internet that I couldnt use and they told me to get the money back from Sky

correct. openreach own the lines. all of them. and sky, orange, BT retail rent them off openreach. openreach are not called BT openreach.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
when you change the router device doesnt make any difference, as you are paying for the connection service. any compatible router can be used on the line regardless of the provider, have my own router for instance. as above, your new billing should start on the 27th so even it out.

That's not quite correct. The router will have to be set for the ISP connection type and have the correct login details otherwise it won't work.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As per Dig54 Openreach provide the lines for all Cp's except Virgin and anybody else who actually have there own network. If you are promised a higher speed by someone on a hard sell they are probably misleading you. The issue with the ties would have been caused by Sky themselves as they own that part so they were probably unable to proceed with the order
untile this was resolved.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
BT are clueless in my experience with them, to cut a long storry short I had internet and TV with them paid by DD, they cut me off as none payment, I proved I payed they apologies and put me back on, they then sent a cheque refunding me money then cut me off for none payment, I eventually wrote to them telling them I would no longer use them and was not going to pay them a penny especially as they had just refunded me anyway, never heard back from them, complete clowns

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
BT Openreach are a subsidiary of BT, as are BT Retail and BT Wholesale. BT Openeach are the guardians of the local access network.

They are, by order of Ofcom, not allowed to share information with BT Retail, nor are they allowed to treat them fairly or unfairly in relation to all other Telecoms providers in the UK. They are seperate companies, but all subsidiaries of the same parent company.

Hope this helps.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I may be being thick here, and I'm all for getting money out of companies, but 2 weeks worth of internet, is what £10 tops ? How long have you spent today trying to get the money back - is it worth it, or am I missing something here ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here