Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disneyworld

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thinking of doing Disneyworld Florida in next 2 years, the problem is i dont drive, so is it really worth going if you cant drive?
Suppose you would be pretty much stuck in never never land for the whole 2 weeks.

Bounce this thread on January 7th 2008. We're going for Christmas this year, and without a car, so I'll let you know. We're staying in the park itself (Animal Kingdom), and apparently transport between all the parks if free, frequent and easy.
:lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Getting around all the sights inlcuding Disneyworld isn't that difficult to be honest - most hotels/resorts have shuttle buses....so if you book somewhere ask about their shuttle services....most of the big resorts/hotels will have a shuttle service to most of the big attractions - but you'll need to book them at the conceirge.....

It is a massive place though - and if you're the kind of person who wants to do whatever and whenever driving/hiring a car is best...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
depends where abouts you stay, hotel, villa etc. Alot of the hotels provide bus transport to the parks, and lots of taxis and all that around

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
We're staying in the park itself (Animal Kingdom), and apparently transport between all the parks if free, frequent and easy.
:lolol:

True, But there is a lot more to Florida than just Disneyworld and its nice to get away from Mickey and co at times so if you have a car it opens up so much more to do and explore

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
True, But there is a lot more to Florida than just Disneyworld and its nice to get away from Mickey and co at times so if you have a car it opens up so much more to do and explore

Oh absolutely, I'm sure there is, but we're only there for a week (2nd week in The Bahamas). Mrs P an I will "do the rest of Florida" once her daughter has flown the nest and we can go on our own. We're doing Disney specifically for her daughter.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Oh absolutely, I'm sure there is, but we're only there for a week (2nd week in The Bahamas). Mrs P an I will "do the rest of Florida" once her daughter has flown the nest and we can go on our own. We're doing Disney specifically for her daughter.

Yeah, we may only do a week in Florida, and then maybe a week in Mexico.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you stay at an official Disney Resort hotel, you get unlimited free use of their transportation system, which covers all the Disney parks, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island and the water parks, for the length of the stay. It's mainly buses, which run all day, but they also have the monorail and some boats. They're very frequent, so you're never waiting around for long.

If you do stay at one of the Disney resorts, they won't do transport to the International Drive area, which is where Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure (highly recommend them, they have some of the best rides in Orlando), SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Wet 'n Wild are.

However, you can usually find buses to get you to I Drive, from where the I-Ride Trolley goes up and down all day to the parks above, plus various malls and other attractions.

Most I Drive hotels will have free shuttle services to the I Drive attractions, but will charge a small fee for the shuttles to Disney, and vice versa with Disney area hotels. It's not usually that expensive either way.

To go further afield, like to Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay, there is a shuttle service you can pay for, or if you pre-book one of the ticket packages such as the Orlando Flexticket (cheaper way of getting into all the non-Disney parks), it includes the transport to BG.

Excursions to Kennedy Space Center or to Cocoa Beach can be booked through any tour operator, which include the bus ride.

In short, while it obviously gives you a lot more freedom if you have a car, particularly if you have kids who don't like waiting around, Orlando is easily do-able without one. I don't think I've ever been anywhere that's better set up for tourists.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
If you stay at an official Disney Resort hotel, you get unlimited free use of their transportation system, which covers all the Disney parks, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island and the water parks, for the length of the stay. It's mainly buses, which run all day, but they also have the monorail and some boats. They're very frequent, so you're never waiting around for long.

If you do stay at one of the Disney resorts, they won't do transport to the International Drive area, which is where Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure (highly recommend them, they have some of the best rides in Orlando), SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Wet 'n Wild are.

However, you can usually find buses to get you to I Drive, from where the I-Ride Trolley goes up and down all day to the parks above, plus various malls and other attractions.

Most I Drive hotels will have free shuttle services to the I Drive attractions, but will charge a small fee for the shuttles to Disney, and vice versa with Disney area hotels. It's not usually that expensive either way.

To go further afield, like to Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay, there is a shuttle service you can pay for, or if you pre-book one of the ticket packages such as the Orlando Flexticket (cheaper way of getting into all the non-Disney parks), it includes the transport to BG.

Excursions to Kennedy Space Center or to Cocoa Beach can be booked through any tour operator, which include the bus ride.

In short, while it obviously gives you a lot more freedom if you have a car, particularly if you have kids who don't like waiting around, Orlando is easily do-able without one. I don't think I've ever been anywhere that's better set up for tourists.

Cheers for the Info.:thumbsup:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Thinking of doing Disneyworld Florida in next 2 years, the problem is i dont drive, so is it really worth going if you cant drive?
Suppose you would be pretty much stuck in never never land for the whole 2 weeks.

Of course it's still worth going. It's America. Having your own car is clearly the most convenient way to get around but there are plenty of buses, taxis, organised transport etc. etc. to get you to where you want to be.

I highly recommend the Kennedy Space Center where you can stand next to a Saturn V rocket. A truly humbling experience.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cheers for the Info.:thumbsup:

No worries. Used to work in the travel industry, mainly dealing with Florida, so Orlando is one place I do know my way around.

Don't let it put you off not having a car, the only place where it really would be a handicap would be if you wanted to stay in a private villa, as they're mainly on estates to the south of Kissimmee, where transport links aren't very good.

Get a decent hotel and it'll be fine. All the main tour operators will supply transfers to their hotels for non-drivers as well, which takes a bit of the stress out of arriving.

Greeko

May 17, 2007
Eastbourne
Hi

I,ve been to Orlando twice and never driven, had a great time both times. I have stayed on International Drive and Kissimee at Hotels which provided a free shuttle to all the theme parks.

I am going again next year and doing a split stay first week on I/Drive where we will do Universal, Seaworld, Wet 'n' Wild, Busch Gardens (free shuttle) and an excursion to Kennedy Space Centre. Then for the 2nd week moving to a Disney hotel where we will use Disney Transportation for all the Disney theme parks and water parks.

I wouldn't stay at disney for 2 weeks without a car as you will be relying on buses and taxis to get to all the other theme parks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Off to Orlando tomorrow for 16 nights. It's my 9th visit, or something like that. Did Virgin twilight check-in at Gatwick tonight after a 6 hour drive from Bristol. Bloody nightmare trip including an hour sitting on the M4 with the engine off wandering about, and carefully avoiding a Boxster upside down, occupants still inside, in Crawley.

Happy to answer all and any questions - have a lot of experience with a lot of it. Plenty of folk cope just fine without a car although I've always taken one for some/all of the holiday.

On-site at Disney is relatively easy although you'll still move about quicker with a car. This "transport is free if you're staying with us" thing is bollocks. Transport is free around WDW using the buses, boats and monorail nomatter who you are and where you're staying - they don't ask for ID, tickets or room keys.

It's a wonderful place and you should go if you get the chance. As others have said, Florida offers a heap more than just the parks, but the parks will probably be the hook that draws you in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here