Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Big investor event today.

[tweet]1337152322653351936[/tweet]

[tweet]1337155471422189569[/tweet]

[tweet]1337155788968783874[/tweet]

Goodbye to cinemas for good then. The pandemic has critically wounded the industry but it will be the straight-to-TV streaming that will land the killer blow.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looking forward to all the new Star Wars and Marvel projects (the trailer for Falcon & the Winter Soldier looks great!) as well as the new "Lightyear" movie from Pixar that follows the "real" Buzz Lightyears early days as a test pilot etc. Will seem strange having Chris Evans voicing him instead of Tim Allen tho...

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So much content.

Films from Patty Jenkins (wonder woman, monster), Taika Waititi (hunt for the wilder people, thor ragnorak). TV series spinning off of The Mandalorian for Ashoka, Rangers of the New Republic, as well as news Hayden Christensen is returning as Darth Vader for the Ewan McGregor Obi Wan series, Andor the spin off series from Rogue One, The Bad Batch a follow up series to clone wars, a series focusing on Lando Calrissian.

And then there's marvel, with new trailers for Wandavision, Loki, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, What If, announcement of a new Fantastic Four movie, confirmation of Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel 2, She Hulk.

And Sister Act 3!

Goodbye to cinemas for good then. The pandemic has critically wounded the industry but it will be the straight-to-TV streaming that will land the killer blow.

It had been rumoured recently that Disney were pivoting to focus more on streaming, so I'm not sure that aspect of last night's announcements are particularly surprising.

But, there are also reports that Netflix are looking at buying a cinema chain. Plus, Cinema has been declared dead before - when homes started getting TVs, then when homes got video players, cinema always bounced back.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Crikey,so.there is so much content it's almost a bit overwhelming.
It all looks fantastic but I hope it's not the end of going to the cinema and seeing blockbuster marvel and star wars films.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Crikey,so.there is so much content it's almost a bit overwhelming.
It all looks fantastic but I hope it's not the end of going to the cinema and seeing blockbuster marvel and star wars films.

Disney Plus is just brilliant. Myself and my other half are constantly telling the kids they don't know how lucky they are having this, I still can't believe it! The 10 year old me's head would explode if I'd have been told I could watch ANY Disney content at ANY time!

I don't think it will be the end of Cinema but maybe there will be fewer of them? We've got Disney, Prime and Netflix but my kids still get far more excited about going to the Cinema than watching something on the TV. And for big event films, as an adult there is still something special about going to watch it for the first time with an audience. Always going to be a good date thing to do too!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Death knell of the cinema. I seem to be in the minority. Going to the pictures still feels like a treat and an experience (although admittedly I'd go and the least busiest times to avoid the eejets talking, munching and being less considerate of others).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Death knell of the cinema. I seem to be in the minority. Going to the pictures still feels like a treat and an experience (although admittedly I'd go and the least busiest times to avoid the eejets talking, munching and being less considerate of others).

theres an argument that it may improve cinema experience as it becomes more of an occasion than a routine, so less eejits who stay at home. on the other hand, why do the eejits go in the first place other than its something to do to get out the house.

Last edited:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Disney Plus is just brilliant. Myself and my other half are constantly telling the kids they don't know how lucky they are having this, I still can't believe it! The 10 year old me's head would explode if I'd have been told I could watch ANY Disney content at ANY time!

I don't think it will be the end of Cinema but maybe there will be fewer of them? We've got Disney, Prime and Netflix but my kids still get far more excited about going to the Cinema than watching something on the TV. And for big event films, as an adult there is still something special about going to watch it for the first time with an audience. Always going to be a good date thing to do too!

I hope you are correct.
This last ten years of marvel movies and star wars films has been fantastic at the pictures.
Especially the marvel movies,there was a real buzz amongst those that went
It would be a Shame if we lost that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's also worth considering that currently, the premium VOD for non-disney films tends to be £20 rental. Disney charged £30 for Mulan, but that let you watch it as often as you like.

Cinema is/can be cheaper than that (especially on individual basis). As a family it comes down to which cinema you go to (Worthing's £3 a ticket or Central london Cineworld/Odeon £15+) and snacks etc.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've gone back and forth on the new Star channel. When first announced it offered so much promise. But then the first advert came out focusing on the worst die hard, and desperate housewives. They have now revealed the full list of titles coming at launch. (I would expect new additions each week as currently happens with the main disney channel).

https://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/d3a18c6a032f5fa8218d97c69b55cd2265da782c.pdf

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Only just seen this thread.

We signed up to Disney+ when it was new. We were considering leaving because of lack of new content (I'm not too fussed over star wars), however I am really enjoying Wandavision and am looking forward to 'Falcon and the Winter Solidier' and also 'Loki'. It seems they have started adding content just at the right time!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah they're really ramping up the content. Considering getting rid of Prime to justify getting this.

Apple + have just added some stuff I'm interested in also, hard to justify having all the different services though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah they're really ramping up the content. Considering getting rid of Prime to justify getting this.

Apple + have just added some stuff I'm interested in also, hard to justify having all the different services though.

I agree and we said the said the same in my house, but then tried to decide which services we'd drop and didn't get anywhere as there were programs on all of the different services that we didn't want to lose! Once you've had them a while, it's hard to get rid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree and we said the said the same in my house, but then tried to decide which services we'd drop and didn't get anywhere as there were programs on all of the different services that we didn't want to lose! Once you've had them a while, it's hard to get rid.

Yup. So for us it's between

Sky
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Disney +
Apple TV

Can't really justify having more than 3. I've probably forgotten - oh and Spotify Premium which I've come under pressure for but am not budging.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have prime, because buy a lot from amazon, and the prime video was part of that package.
Apple TV+ because I replaced my ipod touch last year and got a free membership
Disney+ through choice
Netflix is my niece's account

I don't subscribe to any music things (other than the prime music included in my membership there).

At the moment I'm looking at it as saving on my season ticket and cineworld unlimited, so not really spending more than normal. I'd also think I would have bought more blu rays/digital downloads if I didn't have these subscriptions, so I'm probably still better off.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Yup. So for us it's between

Sky
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Disney +
Apple TV

Can't really justify having more than 3. I've probably forgotten - oh and Spotify Premium which I've come under pressure for but am not budging.

We've got:

Basic Virgin Media package
Disney +
Netflix
Prime

During the various lockdowns, at one point or another they've all been a godsend to be honest.

Personally I think Disney + is by far the best value and the one I get most from - Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, the old Disney classics - I still can't believe we've got it and how good it is, it really does bring out the kid in me! Prime is good for me as it has football on sometimes and the delivery service is good. I would lose Netflix out of all of them but the other half and kids would never forgive me!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have prime, because buy a lot from amazon, and the prime video was part of that package.
Apple TV+ because I replaced my ipod touch last year and got a free membership
Disney+ through choice
Netflix is my niece's account

I don't subscribe to any music things (other than the prime music included in my membership there).

At the moment I'm looking at it as saving on my season ticket and cineworld unlimited, so not really spending more than normal. I'd also think I would have bought more blu rays/digital downloads if I didn't have these subscriptions, so I'm probably still better off.

Completely forgot that via prime I've added Starzplay, BFI Player and Shudder.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I've really enjoyed WandaVision. If you're a certain age and remember 50's and 60's sitcoms adds another layer of pleasure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here