Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disillusioned Reading fans again!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can't argue with the truth? You haven't met my missus!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RoyalAli said:
We took at least 35,000 Berk, get over it.

Regardless of whether we're nearer to Cardiff than Brighton or not, we took 35,000 fans.

You can't argue with the truth, and you know it.
You did indeed, and I suspect we might have done if we had an easier a journey as Reading to Cardiff.

But I wonder how many Reading might take to Cardiff in a decade's time if, say, Madejski left and a crook took over - invest in the team slumped and you fell through the divisions, and then the Majedski Stadium was sold and you found yourselves watching the second worst team in the league play at the Memorial Ground, Bristol for 3 successive years, only to return to play at a local athletics track for 6 years culminating in a play off day-out at Cardiff?

I don't think 35,000 would have bothered somehow. About half that, I reckon.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Stumpy Tim said:
Not a chance - unless we're pushing for promotion to the Premiership. I reckon we'll do well to average 15000 after the first few games

Nah I think we'd get more, what about Reading themselves. Don't forget that Reading always get a large away following at the Mad Stad because its an easy stadium to get to, being within 25 mins train journey from London and its a Fab stadium and you'll never get any bother off the home fans because they have only just bought a reading shirt a few years back and need a songsheet to chant anything. Therefore the Reading home gates are boosted by large away followings.
Brighton, with Falmer will have a certain aspect of this with other attractions for away fans, seaside, perfect for a weekend stopover 3 trains an hour from London and a fantastic stadium. We'd pull in an average og 19,000 or so, 22,000 if doing well.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Reading promotion season 1993/94 attendance

That was Champions from Div2 to Div1 at Elm Park average 6,000 or so.

URL=http://www.soccer-stats.com/divisions/attendances.asp?divno=3&asid=01]Readin promotion 2001/2002 season attendance[/URL]

That was Promotion (in second place to us!) in 2001/2002 same division only at the Madejski instead of Elm Park. Average attendance 14,000 or so. Where did the extra 8,000 come from?

Plastic fans, only come for a day out with the kids, a program and an icecream.[

Last edited:

Nemo

Nov 23, 2003
BN2
If you took 35000 how come we broke the record for a crowd at a Div 2 play off final = 65.165, Even you can't match that. Another thing is that you say how big you are at Reading you can't even fill the Mad Stad on a weekly basis, What is your average crowd this season? No more than 13000, What a dreamer. :salute:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not going to get involved in who's the biggest club but a team pushing for a play-off place to the Premiership should be doing better than 15,000 in a stadium like Reading's. How many opposition fans are swelling the numbers up to 15,000 and what's going to happen to the crowds when they have a bottom half of the table season?

8-10,000 average probably.

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I've given up caring...

Nobody in Reading hates Brighton so there's no gripes at all from my end. Just trying to put a bit of the weight back on the shoulders of those who took the piss (or at least tried to) during the last couple of years.

Spoke to another NSCer about our supports, and to be honest we can both muster up crowds that even some Premiership clubs would dream of. Both clubs have loads of potential... we're about halfway there, you're about a quarter of the way there given the problems with Falmer. Seem fair?

Don't buy this "large away following at the Madejski" thing though, average this year was around 1000-1250.

Nobody at Reading thinks we're a big club. We could be but then bar the likes of Macclesfield, Rochdale etc, most clubs could be. The potential is there just like it is with Brighton. Cup final/ playoff final attendances... I reckon we're about the same in 1995 as you are now. 30 odd thousand that went to Wembley in 95 came from the ground which was not much better than Withdean, holding around 12,000 at best when seating had to be put in. Crowds going down to around 4,000 during the time when we were 1 day from going out of business in the early 80s. So swings and roundabouts, eh?

This "argument" sounds like lots of if's and but's. So its not even a debate anymore!

(is that back on the lines of the sensible poster? ;) )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here