Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disillusioned Reading fans again!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
We've lost a generation of fans because of Gillingham and Withdean.

Historically we're a bigger club - and we will be in the future.

Enjoy your five minutes Ali.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
RoyalAli said:
5 minutes are turning into 10, and 10 into 20.
We're loving every minute of it, the last 10 years have been the most successful in the club's history.
2 promotions, 3 playoff campaigns, our top 3 league positions EVER in this period of time.

Exactly. You'd done NOTHING before. Reading = no history.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But you still aren't very good at beating us, are you Ali?

Apart from one result during our lame 12 match losing run in Division One (when we lost to even Walsall and Grimsby), you haven't had that much success on the pitch against us in recent years.

Which always results in most of your fans going home whining about our crappy ground/pitch that's too small (which it clearly isn't)/ not letting you win, or something similar.

Yep, you have a great stadium etc etc, more money than us, and took more fans to Cardiff. But give us a chance, I'm looking forward to seeing where Falmer takes us in terms of rediscovering the lost generation of fans. Please, Two Jags.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We are a patient lot Ali.

Every dog has it's day. You have a great chairman, well done.

Just don't be under the misapprehension our current support reflects our potential.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wise words DKM. Our 30,000 turnout was perfectly respectable if not spectacular. But Brighton will be a much bigger club than Reading within 2 years of Falmer being built - if it happens. And I'm not knocking Reading by saying that. Reading have turned themselves from a club who struggle to get 5,000 into a club that now enjoys average gates of 16,000. Putting that into perspective, the last season we averaged that was 20 years ago. It's just that we all know that people will turn up to watch Brighton if the facilities and the team are in place. I'll bet that if we are in division 1, our first season at Falmer will see an average gate of over 20,000.

seagull over spain

Mar 25, 2004
torrevieja spain
If I am not mistaken Ali you have done nothing but quote history, on how many went here and how many went there, and how this is the most successful 3 year period in your history. At the end of the day we have been to FA cup finals and we have played in the top division, and we very nearly went into extinction but we still support the mighty Seagulls.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
seagull over spain said:
If I am not mistaken Ali you have done nothing but quote history, on how many went here and how many went there, and how this is the most successful 3 year period in your history. At the end of the day we have been to FA cup finals and we have played in the top division, and we very nearly went into extinction but we still support the mighty Seagulls.

Research please! You may well find that we've done the same! :dunce:

We have an immense amount of fans for a club never played in the top flight... hence sky's the limit when we get there.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Simster said:
10 years my arse. I would say three years, except that we're already playing in the same division as you.

Ah, 3 years until on a level-playing field, but Stoke, Huddersfield, and Coventry (soon) have brank spanking new stadiums and are miles behind! ;)

seagull over spain

Mar 25, 2004
torrevieja spain
Life is a memory Ali for non of know what tommorrow may hold, and history is history, after I am dead and but a distant memory my team will I hope continue building their history, we all have dreams butt as far as the top division is concerned that to Reading is all it is, where as to BHA it is a dream of the future, but also a memory of the past. Oh it is so nice to have dreams and memories

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This argument has been done to death!

Brighton are a bigger club historically.

Reading are a bigger club currently.

Brighton have the potential to grow if they get Falmer.

Whether or not they will over take Reading, no one really knows.

seagull over spain

Mar 25, 2004
torrevieja spain
Research please! You may well find that we've done the same!

We have an immense amount of fans for a club never played in the top flight... hence sky's the limit when we get there.

May be I am getting to old to rely on my memory but I could have sworn I went to wembley twice in 83 and visited league matches at Old Trafford, Anfield, Upton Park, Villa Park, etc prior to that

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This is a silly argument among friends.

Reading's on-field success over the last ten years isn't a patch on the Albion's on-field success over the last four; and the only step back the Albion have taken in the last seven years is relegation from Division One last season.

As for the dull argument about who has better potential? Well clearly at the moment it is Reading, because Brighton's potential is severely limited by Withdean Stadium. It only takes one word for things to start changing though - lets have this debate in three years time when Falmer has been built shall we.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
perth seagull said:
This argument has been done to death!

Brighton are a bigger club historically.

Reading are a bigger club currently.

Brighton have the potential to grow if they get Falmer.

Whether or not they will over take Reading, no one really knows.

Goddamit that is a far too sensible answer Perth matey ;)

Originally posted by Curious Orange
This is a silly argument among friends.

Its the end of the season! We need something to talk about for the next 11 days til Euro 2004! :clap:

seagull over spain

Mar 25, 2004
torrevieja spain
Ali that comment was not aimed at you it was sarcasm at the sugestion that my facts were wrong.
All of my comments were to establish that we all have history as that is all we can quote with any confidence.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I agree with Curious Orange, Reading are bigger than us right now, they have a better squad of players (on paper at least) and a much better stadium.

We can talk all we want about the famous Brighton 'potential' but until Falmer is built and we realise that potential, Reading will always be bigger than us!

Past history counts for nothing I'm afraid as some of the founder members of the football league will confirm (Accrington Stanley anyone?)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Our history shows that we have a great following; the record at the goldstone was almost 40,000. We also took 36000 to the '91 play off's. We took 40,000 to both cup finials, and our history is littered with occasions where this club took over 30,000 fans. Even now with our away support is one of the highest in the league despite most clubs make it all ticket and the geograpchial aspect that we have so far to travel to most clubs. Even to Cardiff, 200 miles. For Bristol 20 miles on a bank holiday week end.

Since we lost the goldstone in '97 we played in excile, and dedicated fans made a 150 mile round trip for HOME matches! Since we've been back in Brighton we were restricted 6000, now 7000 fans. Of course that would damage any teams fanbase. Whe we get our new home at falmer, just watch us grow and grow.

This arguing between friends is pointless. (Alittle bit more of a history than Reading eh?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here