Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking, were you told it would be free?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hi TH,

Do you remember on a previous thread when you said that if we bring this to the club's attention, hopefully good grace and common sense would come to pass (or very similar words)?

Sadly, no-one could be bothered to listen, and when they did they were not interested!

I always had them down as better than that. As you say, sad. Still, that should make it all the easier for you to report them to Trading Standards. Even better, sue them through the Small Claims Court for Breach of Contract seeing as how you now have it in writing - or access to same - that they DID originally say parking would be free, before they pathetically 'changed their minds' - after you bought your tickets. Terrible its had to come to this. You deserve much better treatment. The club should be ashamed of itself.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I can undertsand the frustration, but one thing did flag up as I was reading libra-gully's comments

2. I have been told to let this lie, as the club are not going to change their mind. I took this advice on board, but without £180, myself and my young family will be going nowhere.

Doesn't seem to sit quite right with someone who could

I signed up for 4 STs, and paid in full for all of them within the week!

I know a lot of people who pay monthly, as they couldn't afford to pay for their tickets in one go. They do seem to looking for a sympathy vote. The clubs screwed up, its not pretty, but lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. You are still getting parking 50% cheaper than the rest of us, and by your own admission have a full car, so its not like you are having to fork out for just one user.

If the club tried to charge you more than the £360 to park in Bennetts Field as you are not 1901, or if all the disabled places are not in Bennetts field, then have issues with teh club, but I think getting a parking bay for 50% cheapoer than everyoner else, is pretty good of the club.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
STOP f***ing MOANING! If you don't want your ticket - sell it to someone else on the waiting list. Simples!

You really are the King of the f***ing morons. Why don't you do everybody a favour & just permanently sod off elsewhere? Your dreadful attitude certainly won't be missed.

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Are all 4 of you in the car disabled? Surely if you have parking on site at an average of £7.50 per home game that is bloody good value. So what's the problem?

Personally I don't see why disabled people should get FREE parking, that would discrimnate against the able bodied who have to pay. Yes, I agree that disabled people should be guaranteed (as much as possible) parking ON SITE, but there is no compulsion to make it free as well.

What and charging £180.00 is discrimination as park and ride only pay £30.00. I would love to be able to get on a bus and do park and ride but I can't I am in a wheelchair and have no choice!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I always had them down as better than that. As you say, sad. Still, that should make it all the easier for you to report them to Trading Standards. Even better, sue them through the Small Claims Court for Breach of Contract seeing as how you now have it in writing - or access to same - that they DID originally say parking would be free, before they pathetically 'changed their minds' - after you bought your tickets. Terrible its had to come to this. You deserve much better treatment. The club should be ashamed of itself.

Couldn't agree more with you H. Bloody dreadful behaviour by the club over this issue.

Sort it out Albion, FFS!!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
look, i do recognise the problem and I'm sympathetic towards it.

But sometimes it help to looks at equivalents to help assess whether you are geting value or not. If you travel to an away game against any championship side, you will not get on site parking (or even close by) for less than £7.50, and as you have 4 people in your car, that must be exceptional value.

So, why are you asking for more, or better than that? I just don't get it. Using disability as an excuse for a totally free ride is not going to be the answer. Accept you have premium on site parking for less than £2 per occupant per homematch, and move on.

Others can pay a quid a head for park and ride, and park miles away and join a long queue and then get a bus in the pissing rain. You've got a good deal, so move on and close the subject please.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If the offered something they have then withdraw post sale then I'd be just as mad...

But blimey - you paid for 4 season tickets within a week? in full? I'd love to have that much money! I know you are disabled and there is no money which could replace that which you have lost, but blimey to be able to take your family in full to the football each game is fairly special. I have a fairly high paying job and we can't afford 1 season ticket let alone 4!

Lush

Mods' Pet
I can't believe that the club are digging their heels in for what is probably a relatively small amount of money, in the great scheme of things. nWhich makes me think that there is more to this than meets the eye.

I would be interested in hearing an 'honest' answer from the club (although it's possible that they can't give it without falling foul of disability rights/laws).

Is it possible that the disabled spaces have been so massively over-subscribed that we just can't cope AND meet other equally legally binding commitments?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Is it possible that the disabled spaces have been so massively over-subscribed that we just can't cope AND meet other equally legally binding commitments?

Wasn't there an increase in 1901 which comes with parking? I was wondering if they pinched those spots....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Thats probably it. Like our able bodied support, no doubt the disabled support has also increased considerably as well.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
look, i do recognise the problem and I'm sympathetic towards it.

But sometimes it help to looks at equivalents to help assess whether you are geting value or not. If you travel to an away game against any championship side, you will not get on site parking (or even close by) for less than £7.50, and as you have 4 people in your car, that must be exceptional value.

Both Portsmouth and Cardiff were free for disabled parking

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
The club have fooked up massively on this.

It appears that it didn't take too long for the club to forget the word 'Community' that they banded round so much.

They should take a long hard look at themselves as it looks like the've lost moral direction and have scant regard for an important minority. The problem is they are all able bodied and whilst they may sympathise on the surface they seem to be unable to dwell on what the complications must be to indiviudals.

There should be places next to the ground and at a fee of say £50.00.

To have places on the other side of dual carriageway is deplorable. Come winter and with the wind, rain blowing off the downs and icy pathways conditions will be appalling.

It would appear that the people at the club who have been asked about this are still walking on air and see this as a minor distraction.

Maybe they should spend time on a match day in the rain getting over from the Sussex Uni spaces in a wheelchair !

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I can undertsand the frustration, but one thing did flag up as I was reading libra-gully's comments

Doesn't seem to sit quite right with someone who could

I know a lot of people who pay monthly, as they couldn't afford to pay for their tickets in one go. They do seem to looking for a sympathy vote. The clubs screwed up, its not pretty, but lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. You are still getting parking 50% cheaper than the rest of us, and by your own admission have a full car, so its not like you are having to fork out for just one user.

If the club tried to charge you more than the £360 to park in Bennetts Field as you are not 1901, or if all the disabled places are not in Bennetts field, then have issues with teh club, but I think getting a parking bay for 50% cheapoer than everyoner else, is pretty good of the club.

With the greatest of respect, you completely missed the point!

Of the four of us to which you refer, apart from myself, the only other adult is my carer who only comes like every other carer to ensure that if I have a medical emergency there is someone there to deal with it, whilst the other two occupants are aged 5 and 3.

Do you suggest I raid their Albion piggy banks to make you feel better?

As per the comments re paying in one go, it is not really any of your business, but for the purpose of full disclosure, grandparents paid for the two children, and I paid for the rest out of an accident payout that left me disabled.

If any of the 'clever people' on here, wish to swap places with me for a week, and live my life of pain and medication, I will gladly listen to any supposed criticisms.

Just for the record, my space is not just outside as quoted by somebody, but over the A27 in the Sx Uni, 30 minutes away minimum in all weathers!

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
All the disabled spaces are NOT in Bennetts Field. Some are the other side of the A27.

I believe There are also disabled parking spaces in the car park behind the north stand.

As for oversubscrption, I don't think that has been the case, but regardless, all the spaces really should be adjacent to the stadium, and a the club initially offered them for free, they really should be free fir this season at least.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I believe There are also disabled parking spaces in the car park behind the north stand.

As for oversubscrption, I don't think that has been the case, but regardless, all the spaces really should be adjacent to the stadium, and a the club initially offered them for free, they really should be free fir this season at least.

Yes there are some in what is known as Park Wall farm where the players and VIPs park. There are restrictions on its use though which again were not mentioned until the club were quizzed recently.

Occupants of that area have to be there NINETY minutes before the game, and cannot leave for THIRTY minutes afterwards.

Before some of our posters jump to conclusions
1) Most carers have other jobs and cannot just drop things to get us there so early before a game.
2) Fine in this lovely summer weather, but when Winter hits sitting outside in all weathers so long before the game even starts will mean that those with conditions adversely affected by the weather will not be able to go
3) If for some medical reason the supporter needs to leave anytime before the game finishes, never mind the next 30 minutes they are totally unable to do so. That sounds ridiculous but is absolutely true, as the club have agreed not to open the concourse for ANY reason outside these timings.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to expand that part of the debate which I had forgotten about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here