Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dinner with Norman Baker? That'll be £750 please!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The superbly well connected political blogger Iain Dale has uncovered a story about our Norm

Iain Dale's Diary: The Two Faces of Norman Baker MP

He writes:

Five MPs have signed a parliamentary motion calling for tougher regulation of the lobbying industry, including the LibDem Transport Spokesman Norman Baker. The EDM states:

'That this House notes the strong public cynicism about the influence of corporate lobbyists on British politics; that individuals and organisations which engage in lobbying activities are able to do so effectively hidden from public scrutiny.'

Surprising then for a friend of mine to receive the attached letter from Norman Baker himself, offering a "small private dinner" with the frontbench Lib Dem transport team. He was told that "tickets for the dinner are extremely limited", and that the party's new transport policy paper would be discussed. This does not appear to be advertised widely, just hand-picked lobbyists from the transport sector. So much for transparency!

But worst of all is the price....a staggering £881.25, (£750 excl VAT). Now, to be fair, it does include a conference pass (which is available elsewhere for just £77), and accommodation (at those prices, lets hope its the main conference hotel but unlikely). But even with that taken into account, the dinner and discussion must be fairly expensive!

Now, no rule has been broken here, but the hypocrisy from Norman Baker is staggering. Here's the full text of the letter he has sent out, only a few weeks after signing an EDM slagging off the very people he's trying to get £750 out of.

Dear XXXXXX

“Fast Track Britain”: Building a transport system for the 21st century
Liberal Democrat policy paper, autumn conference 2008

One of the key policy debates at the Liberal Democrat conference this September will be on transport policy. I am writing to offer you a special opportunity to meet the Liberal Democrat transport policy team, and other industry colleagues, to discuss how these proposals could affect business, at a small private dinner on Tuesday 16th September in Bournemouth.

The transport policy paper has just been approved by the party’s Federal Policy Committee, and will be published in June. It will include key proposals on national and local passenger transport, as well as freight issues. The party’s transport team – including myself, parliamentary colleagues and key policy advisers – are keen to discuss these proposals with leading companies in the sector. Tickets for the dinner are extremely limited and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. The ticket price is £750 +VAT and will include a two-day full registration to the conference – including the debate on the transport paper – accommodation and dinner.

I do hope you will be able to join us at what promises to be a very interesting evening of discussion. The Liberal Democrat conference office will contact you in the next week, but if you would like to register your early interest please email carol.xxxxx@libdems.org.uk. I look forward to seeing you in Bournemouth.

Yours sincerely

Norman Baker MP
Liberal Democrat Shadow Secretary of State for Transport

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apart from the hypocrisy, it looks a very expensive meal to discuss transport politics with someone who hasn't got the slightest chance of being anywhere near the corridors of power.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Well, unless the Lib Dems go into coalition with the Tories after the next election. But I can't see Prime Minister Cameron agreeing to have Norman in the government.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Well, unless the Lib Dems go into coalition with the Tories after the next election. But I can't see Prime Minister Cameron agreeing to have Norman in the government.

If I were Cameron or Brown/insert Labour leader here, I wouldn't even ENTERTAIN the possibility of forming a coalition with the LD's led by that smarmy git Nick Clegg. Them being anywhere near power would show them up to be full of hot air.

Baker once went apeshit about an event at Downing Street that gathered people from the transport industry together to discuss future transport policy and eat sausage rolls. This was such a high-powered bash that the likes of Roz and I were invited along. It cost us ... not a penny.

As far as I recall, Baker's objection was to the fact that Cherie Blair was hosting it and that it was inappropriate to allow unelected individuals anywhere near policy making:-

From the BBC website:-

Liberal Democrat Norman Baker said: "Mrs Blair seems to be adopting a Hillary Clinton-type role. It looks like another example of the prime minister having friends - in this case family - who are not accountable to Parliament, stepping into policy areas."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1970411.stm

Baker obviously doesn't have friends, just paying customers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't know about transport policy but those £750 tickets are travelling First Class on a one-way journey to Norm's pocket. Luvvly jubbly Baker, you know it makes sense. This time next year we'll be milyonaires!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here