Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dinner/Tea/Supper - The last main meal of the day

• Total voters

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
My Grandma calls it Supper but then she is around 93... Tea, now that's a weird one, my mum calls it that sometimes, she gets it from her dad who was scotish apparently, they are weirdos. I myself call it dinner, it is the way; it is in the dictionary.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I dunno where the north you're all talking about is but everyone here in Sheffield seems to use dinner. And lunch here is 'snap time' :rolleyes: I don't think I've heard anyone use 'tea' except me!

For me it depends what type of meal it is; dinner is a major meal, usually in the evening but can be at lunch time - Christmas dinner for example. Tea would be a smaller meal in the evening. I have never had supper.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Breakfast
Lunch
Tea

Supper as a late evening snack.

End of thread:thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Breakfast
Elevenses
Lunch
Two-sees
Tea
High Tea
Dinner
Supper
Mid-night feast
Waffer Thin Mint

:cheers:

What about the gut buster after the clubs kick out?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Upper class. Supper is a late meal you have round the kitchen table. Dinner is a late meal with guests in the dining room.

Imagine (one for you, chaps) going up to a lovely lady you'd had your eye on for ages and saying "Alreet there duck, I were wondrin' if you'd be up fer goin' aat for tea some time".

Excellent Notts dialect there, Edna! :clap:

Tell me Mam, me Mam
"I don't want no tea, no tea
I'm watching the Man-sfi-eld"
Tell me Mam, me Mam

(tune: Que sera sera. Adapted from "watching the Chesterfield")

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been living in Sussex long enough now to have got used to eating my dinner at tea-time.
I think that's it! Basically most people seem to be having their dinner so late it's actually the evening and thus they're having it at tea-time.

I think it must be the Scottish part of me calling it 'tea'. As an aside to the main topic of this thread my relatives from the west of Scotland say they're more generous than the east. In the west of Scotland they say to visitors "Come in and have your tea." In the east of Scotland they say "Come in, you'll have had your tea."

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
When I was a child we had Breakfast, lunch, dinner, except for Sundays when we had a Sunday lunch and the last meal was tea.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Supper sounds pretentious to me.We say tea or dinner....usually tea,especially the kids.
If we are going out for the 'last meal of the day',we say ,we are going out for a meal rather than going out for dinner....don't really know why!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here