Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

digital tv signals?

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
its my sons birthday, and having bought a digital tv and indoor ariel was expecting everything to work without any issues.

tv works ok, currently playing his x-box, no problem there.

attempting to tune in channels, no or weak signal keeps coming up. Rang comet helpline (bought items from lewes rd, not goldstone) operator indicated indoor ariel (digital) no use due to area, not product fault.

What are my options?

How can tune in channels and he can use tv for intended purpose?

What are the costs etc?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can buy an aerial that boosts the signal. Asda do them for about £20.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Booster from Argus for tenner. I have to do the same with mine. works a treat, though I do have a rather unsightly arial next to my tellybox but hey ho.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Personally I think it's a bit rich for the retailers to sell this stuff locally knowing full well that Brighton is shithouse for digital TV reception.

The fact is if the reception in this area was any good, they'd tell you - 'oh yes, no problems, good reception area this...' As it's not they look like they've just been rumbled stealing the biscuits and say 'better check with someone other than us'.

I reckon anyway.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
its my sons birthday, and having bought a digital tv and indoor ariel was expecting everything to work without any issues.

attempting to tune in channels, no or weak signal keeps coming up. Rang comet helpline (bought items from lewes rd, not goldstone) operator indicated indoor ariel (digital) no use due to area, not product fault.

What are my options?

What are the costs etc?
If he normaly grabs his tv reception from the Patcham Transmiter i'm afraid there is no Digital signal untill 2012!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

What are my options?

What are the costs etc?

Put your postcode in here & see if you can receive anything.DTG :: DTT Coverage checker
If so you really need a professionally installed outside digital Aerial. You can't fit a booster because you have no signal in the 1st place.
If as Chicken run suggests, you get reception from Patcham. Freesat may be your only option.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
An outside digital aerial complete with new junction box type thing costs about £450. Briant Communications in London Road did us one in the Summer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just out of interest, I'm in Hove and most of the digital channels are okay - but I don't get anything at all from the BBC. Just break-up. As I've got Sky, it's only an inconvenience at the moment but I'd be pretty hacked off if it stays that way after the switch-off. Is the lack of BBC channels the norm down here?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
An outside digital aerial complete with new junction box type thing costs about :£450:. Briant Communications in London Road did us one in the Summer.

£450 :eek:
Unless thats on a very long mast or lots of outlets, that seems an awful lot.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Just out of interest, I'm in Hove and most of the digital channels are okay - but I don't get anything at all from the BBC. Just break-up. As I've got Sky, it's only an inconvenience at the moment but I'd be pretty hacked off if it stays that way after the switch-off. Is the lack of BBC channels the norm down here?

I'm not aware of any probs with BBC multiplex in hove, Some parts of brighton struggle with itv from whitehawk hill transmitter.

If you like pm me your postcode & I will tell you if you should receive ok.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Got a couple of quotes and that seemed to be about the going rate sadly.

Briant & the like, while very good, have big overheads & do charge top prices
Obviously its done now so you should be ok for years to come but I would always try to find a decent small company. I would struggle to make a digital aerial to one point with a masthead amp come to £250. Unless of course there is other work involved.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Briant & the like, while very good, have big overheads & do charge top prices
Obviously its done now so you should be ok for years to come but I would always try to find a decent small company. I would struggle to make a digital aerial to one point with a masthead amp come to £250. Unless of course there is other work involved.

It had to serve a house made up of six flats, so maybe that had something to do with it. I just sort of assumed that as the quotes all came in around the same price then that was the going rate. Oh well. Worked out at £90 per flat which seemed fair enough.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It had to serve a house made up of six flats, so maybe that had something to do with it. I just sort of assumed that as the quotes all came in around the same price then that was the going rate. Oh well. Worked out at £90 per flat which seemed fair enough.

that sounds more reasonable :smile:

gezza01

Feb 18, 2004
new milton hants
I am currently project managing the DTT switchover change which started last year. If you live in a communal block of flats I would advise firstly that an amplifier would need to be fitted together with a decent aerial. A typical upgrade is around £400-500 quid.
Any more questions please feel free to email me on: gerrydavis@fsmail.net

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I am currently project managing the DTT switchover change which started last year. If you live in a communal block of flats I would advise firstly that an amplifier would need to be fitted together with a decent aerial. A typical upgrade is around £400-500 quid.
Any more questions please feel free to email me on: gerrydavis@fsmail.net

Project managing the digital switchover change?
That sounds quite grand gezza, do you mean you are upgrading blocks of flats etc. to digital? As I have been for years now. Are you going the IRS route or sticking with DTT?

:spam:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here