Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digital SLR help...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hello, I'm looking to get a DSLR. I've been toying with the idea for about a year now but I'm not sure exactly what to get. Here's my criteria:

I don't mind spending upto 600 quid, but no more. including a lens

I 'll want to use it for a bit of everything (landscape photos, gigs etc)

I want to start taking some HDR photos too so not sure if there's a particular camera that's good for that.

Been told that the EOS- 400D is a good one, but any further suggestions on this and types of lenses etc??

Thanks!

I have the EOS 400D, now reincarnated as the 450D, and it's great. Bought it nearly two years ago, with a Tamron zoom 70-400 (I think) lens, and it's taken some cracking pictures. It does occasionally crash when I'm trying to take a series of rapid shots, one after the other, but the picture quality is excellent, with good resolution, 10 mega pixels. The 450D is even better, I've heard.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have the Pentax K100D and bought a Flashgun and Tamron 70-300 lens to go with it and it takes great pictures, All in I tihnk it cost about £500 and is my pride an joy. Not the most expensive or best but for an amateur photographer like me it is more than enough.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
What LENS would be best for pamoramic/scenic shots. I have a Canon 450D and about to go to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley area for my hols.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Could some people please post some of their example pics please. prefferably with standard lenses so i can see the sort of quality we're talking about.

or if you know of any websites with good examples that'd be great. thanks to all who've responded aswell, been a great help so far..

went for a Pentax K10D partly: because its compatiability to reuse the majority of old great pentax lens, which you can pick up for a bargain. Plus, unlike most Canons and Pentax lens, Pentax lens are relatively cheap and still produce some of the best lens around.

But the D80 is a highly regarded camera for the beginner and you can pick it up for a great price.

I have the EOS 400D, now reincarnated as the 450D, and it's great. Bought it nearly two years ago, with a Tamron zoom 70-400 (I think) lens, and it's taken some cracking pictures. It does occasionally crash when I'm trying to take a series of rapid shots, one after the other, but the picture quality is excellent, with good resolution, 10 mega pixels. The 450D is even better, I've heard.

70-300

Could some people please post some of their example pics please. prefferably with standard lenses so i can see the sort of quality we're talking about.

or if you know of any websites with good examples that'd be great. thanks to all who've responded aswell, been a great help so far..

dpreview as suggested above.................................

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I've just bought a 400d, my first ever DSLR, easy to use and not overly complicated, kit lense is ok and additional lenses are affordable - managed to get it for £394 with a further £45 cash back from Canon so would leave you money for extra kit rather than buying a more expensive camera itself

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
I recently bought the lightweight beginner version of the Nikon D80, the D60. Love it, fantastic camera, great balance, got some stonking shots, long battery life, easy to navigate menus and just ordered a 70-300mm lens for it. Amazon are selling it for £389, take up their Prime delivery trial, so that's next day delivery for free and this is also valid for Nikon cashback offer of £60, so all in all a cracking beginners level DSLR for £329.

I recently bought the lightweight beginner version of the Nikon D80, the D60. Love it, fantastic camera, great balance, got some stonking shots, long battery life, easy to navigate menus and just ordered a 70-300mm lens for it. Amazon are selling it for £389, take up their Prime delivery trial, so that's next day delivery for free and this is also valid for Nikon cashback offer of £60, so all in all a cracking beginners level DSLR for £329.

and then there is the D40!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Nip into Park Cameras, a friend of the Albion. Park Cameras

Well they ain't a friend of mine.

Bought a second-hand lens off them which was advertised "as new". Arrived without a lens cap (worth £5).

Emailed to complain twice. Heard nothing.

Several days later I received a compliments slip in the post... but no lens cap.

Emailed again. Heard nothing.

Won't be using them again. Happy to tell others to avoid too.

Can recommend...

Bristol Cameras Online for Digital, SLR and Camera Lenses
Warehouse Express - Camera Accessories and Lenses, Photography Equipment, Canon, Nikon Digital Cameras

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Never had a problem with park cameras.
But, as is often the way, you don't find out how "good" a company is until you do have a problem.

A free lens cap would hardly have put them out of business, and to be honest, any camera shop prepared to send a lens out without a protective cap, are morons!!

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
My mate who is also a pro (Official photographer for Tiger Woods wedding and Anne Nicole Smiths funeral!!!) Reckons for a budding photographer you can't go far wrong with a Canon EOS 1000D if your on a limited budget.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I had massive ballache getting a lens from Park's website, wouldn't deliver to any address other than the card holders, no one was in (as i'd told them) so they told me i had to go to hailsham to get the bloody thing. Went mad, complained and ended up going to there store in Burgess hill.. not impressed at all....

Oh and my 450D is awesome!

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
park's nice new shiny store in buggers hole( o/k it's a warehouse with a bigger than normal window) couldn't supply me with a lens cap for my olympus(lost the origional in spain).

and they had less than f*** all olympus DSLR's in stock.and precious few canon and nikon lenses.

how can you take a camera shop/warehouse seriously if they build a nice shiny new warehouse and stock it with compacts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here