Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

digital economy bill

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So how do ensure that creative artists can make a living from their art, if everyone can access it without paying for it?

If you continue down the road of free access, soon there will be no art and music being rpoduced because the costs of producing it outweigh the rewards of providing it

It's a n age old question. 100 years ago you could buy a Van Gogh painting for the price of a meal. Now, they go for millions at auction.

I'm one of those creative types with computers, albiet a student and a shit programmer while i learn, but none the less anything i make would be put up for free, while not workign for some one else. Open source is where its at. Why cut off and hide away work? Some of th ebest and most innoventive (and indeed, then stolen ideas by companies such as Microsoft for Win7) has been free to modify and distribute under teh GPL (?).

I'm one of those creative types with computers, albiet a student and a shit programmer while i learn, but none the less anything i make would be put up for free, while not workign for some one else. Open source is where its at. Why cut off and hide away work? Some of th ebest and most innoventive (and indeed, then stolen ideas by companies such as Microsoft for Win7) has been free to modify and distribute under teh GPL (?).

so how you gonna eat? don't think tesco recognise bartering:shootself

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Easily. I'll program around my living life, i won't live off of it.

The amoutn that companies lose out on is a fraction of the profits they get.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I interviewed the CEO of an open source software company last week, revenues were up 61% last year - that's good any time - stupendous for a global recession.

It's interesting that some of the large players are getting extremely antsy right now. IBM has just got heavy with a French open source company, Oracle is suing Rimini Street- all part of the same imperative to keep the status quo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here