Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digital Cameras

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Looking to buy a digital camera on ebay and have to admit to being 'a bit' clueless??? I'm only looking to spend around £150 - so don't go too over the top with the spec, but i would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on any specifications i should definitely be looking for/ looking to avoid.

Thanks for your help!

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Try to get one with a pixel quality of 3 million or greater (this will ensure that any pictures you may wish to get developed will be of the standard of normal photos)

Try to get one with optical zoom, as this ensures that the picture quality does not worsen as you zoom in. (unlike digital zoom)

You may also wish to buy a bigger memory card as the cards which are included with the cameras, do not usually hold a great amount of pictures.

Hope that helps :)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Just been through this with my Mother-in-Law.

She ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix 3200 for £140 - recommended as a best buy in Which? It's 3 megapixel

We also looked at the Sony DSCP43 which is a 4 megapixel and you can get it for just under £150.

Agree with all the other stuff.

:clap2: :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
make sure the one that you buy has a secure zoom button that will not fall out:angry: :angry:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you ( or your partner ) are not overly confident with technology then make sure you buy a camera that allows for photo / file recovery should you accidently erase them. Fuji definately and I think Sony erase permantely whilst others allow you to use third party applications or recovery services to recover deleted files.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for all your help guys.

You recommend 3 megapixels saying that is normal photo quality - is it worth buying one with more than this then? I have seen some up to 6.6 megapixels?

Also i have heard some people moan about battery life? How long does the battery on these cameras tend to last and again is there anything in particular i should take into consideration when considering battery life length?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I got a Nikon Coolpix 4800 earlier this year. Now retailing for a bit more than your budget at around £200 but well worth the extra expense. The pictures it takes are excellent and I got 3 editing software programmes with it including Panorama Maker which allows me to take several pictures that can be stitched together.

It comes with a rechargeable battery and charger - I bought an extra battery and found that these lasted me for a two week holiday without recharging and nearly 250 pictures. An extended memory card is a good idea too if you are planning to use it for holidays.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I have a Canon Powershot A95, its 5m pixels and works just great. It takes normal AA batteries which was partly why we got it, so if we get stuck somewhere with no battery you can buy AA batteries in any shop. Its really easy to use as well, and for someone as techno-dumb as me thats a good thing!

We have the A85 the earlier model which is 4m pixel and thats awesome as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no point going above 3 Megapixels, you simply wont notice when doing prints of normal photo size (7x4 ?) or so. better to get a quality device with a decent physical zoom. The Nixon 3200 seems to be the best in the price range.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
hiney said:
Just been through this with my Mother-in-Law.

She ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix 3200 for £140 - recommended as a best buy in Which? It's 3 megapixel

We also looked at the Sony DSCP43 which is a 4 megapixel and you can get it for just under £150.

Agree with all the other stuff.

:clap2: :clap2:

Exactly what I am doing at the moment for Mrs OTLW for Xmas ... thanks for the recommendations Ian!
:clap2:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Just bought the Fuji S5500 and and am very happy with it. Like most digital cameras it is worth buying a battery charger.
If you look at amazon they have reviews from people who have bought the cameras so you can see what people think of each one.

In terms of price ut is worth checking www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk
very good service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here