Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digital Camera Advice Needed Please

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I already have a fairly decent Fuji S6200 but am seriously considering the new Canon EOS 300D...:yawn: for those not interested-sorry!

The problem I'm having is finding out the difference between the EOS 300D and the EOS 300D Rebel? I think the Rebel is shipped from Canada with a Sigma lens so if this is the case-any disadvantage with Sigma?

Timco? Roz? Anybody? Help!

Reason I'm looking for advice is that there is a 300 quid difference in price.

Thanks guys and gals.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
disgruntled h blocker said:
Sounds like the "Rebel" is just the American name for the EOS300D. Check out: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082005canoneos300d.asp

Quite correct except its not a 300D in the US its just a Digital Rebel.

As the owner of the 300D (for the last 3 weeks or so) I can say for the money its reasonable (I paid out just under £600 for one with the s - shortback lens) this included a discount from Dixon's online and a rebate from Canon (you need the EOS mag for June and too buy a camera from a UK stockist by 31 July 2004 and claim back before mid Aug.)

http://www.eos-magazine.com/ for details of cashback.

With a hack (if prepared too take the risk) you can give the 300D most of the software capability of the more expensive bigger brother the 10D.

for details do a search on the forums of the site that DHB points you too.

I am looking at a 10D too but it sounds as if Canon are going too replace that with a 20D which also takes the S lens range so i may hold on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Excellent-thanks guys...maybe i should bid for one of them on ebay from Canada.

I thought it was probably the same but knowing we have a few experts makes sense to ask...

Cheers guys

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I think it's worth looking at www.kelkoo.co.uk to see how the prices compare. I was looking at the Fuji S7000 (now down to £275 on 7dayshop.com) but now the Olympus C8080 looks more ideal, esp. as I can 'get' it for about £460.

Anyone had any experience with these cameras or 7dayshop.com?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happy Seagull said:
As a first time buyer and not great with camera's what would anyone say wasa good buy at around the £200-£300 price range?

I bought a Canon A70 for around £170 at digital cameras.com and it really is very easy to use and bloody good.

You will need to buy a decent flash memory card for around £50 so make sure you think of that in your budget.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Beach Hut said:
I bought a Canon A70 for around £170 at digital cameras.com and it really is very easy to use and bloody good.

You will need to buy a decent flash memory card for around £50 so make sure you think of that in your budget.

Got me a few of them...

Looking at the Canon on ebay right now...460 quid-new! Can get one or two from Canada for less than 400 but they want silly money to send the damn thing (85 pounds:eek: ).

3 hours to make up my mind....decisions, decisions, decisions!

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Bwian said:
Got me a few of them...

Looking at the Canon on ebay right now...460 quid-new! Can get one or two from Canada for less than 400 but they want silly money to send the damn thing (85 pounds:eek: ).

3 hours to make up my mind....decisions, decisions, decisions!

I'd be careful buying anything like that on Ebay. You will likely have to pay import duty and VAT on the item, whacking up the total cost of the unit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Park Cameras in Burgess Hill(and H.Heath) are one of the cheapest High St. camera shops in the area and are pretty good with advice.They do an internet service too. Advert over.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Try this place

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I'd be careful buying anything like that on Ebay. You will likely have to pay import duty and VAT on the item, whacking up the total cost of the unit.

As you will from 7day shop. Or at least you enter the customs lottery that they won't exray the package and find its worth over £18.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
What's the lens compatibility like on the Canon, though?
Only there are an increasing number of what I'd call "SLR-like cameras" in the £600 - 900 price range which, in theory are SLRs but which don't offer much choice in the lens department! Something which rather defeats the point of having an SLR in the first place. As for Sigma, I've got their 14, 20 and 105mm Nikon fit AF lenses and have been extremely pleased with them.

If you are looking for a decent mid range camera there's no substitute for going into a camera shop and getting your hands on a few. There's so much competition for this bit of the market that there's rarely much to choose between them, technically and performance-wise. However, if the thing doesn't feel right it won't be the right camera. Since a decent shop won't automatically expect you to buy a camera from them you can make your decision based on the "hands-on" experience and then go and look for the best price online!

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
are 7dayshop based outside the UK?

Outside Europe (EU not the continent), Cannel Islands (Jersey or Gurnesey or something like that.

Read their T&C you will find their prices are ex VAT and if customs feel like it you get clobbered for the VAT as it enters the Uk and the PO charge a fee for collecting it (around 25% of the fee collectable)

Anything priced under £18 is ok, which is why all &day shop envelopes have value £19.95 on them regardless of whats inside.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
roz said:
What's the lens compatibility like on the Canon, though?
Only there are an increasing number of what I'd call "SLR-like cameras" in the £600 - 900 price range which, in theory are SLRs but which don't offer much choice in the lens department!

The EOS range all take EF lenses.

They are full on SLR's with a digital heart the 300D is simply a EOS 300 with a digital heart, the 10D is an EOS 10 with a digital etc etc etc.

You can do everything you can do with analogue (film) based camera's except film is still a little better quality in reproduction terms if wanting prints. Ink prints still fade far too quickly (about 10 years).

The advantage on that a digi has in this is instancy, A picture taken with a digi can be online in seconds not something that can be done with film.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some of the electrical goods supplied in the Canary Islands are non-European and aimed for Asian market - be warned

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here