Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diet & Exercise! Is it worth it?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Cheers for the advice and encouragement, I'm going to stick with it (no matter how painful it gets) and hopefully the results will come in time. I'm sure lurking underneath all this blubber is a body of a finely tuned athlete waiting to burst out!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oi Bulldog?

You a salad dodger?:jester:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sept 04 i weighted in at 97K,just by good eating,fast walking at fist then onto the bike (averaging 50mls a week) down to 75k. You simply cant get to what you would really like,your body is happy to lose weight until it is happy with the weight you settle at. Yes you can get lower,but is REALLY A PAIN. You will be on rations. See your medical centre. Try to keep out off the gym,you can lose it without paying ££££s for the privledge. AND don't moke try a dance class for some help maybe 1-2-1 for a few lessons on caudio vasc and muscle stretchs. Finally you will lose weight,you cant fail if you are over already,when it comes off treat yourself,new pair of jeans,mine were 40+ now 34. :) :albion:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
algie said:
Oi Bulldog?

You a salad dodger?:jester:

Heading that way! :lolol:

By the way if anybody gets a waft of summit horrible in H block tomorrow dont panic it will just be the effect of the prunes again!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When I gave up playing football (at 37) I did nothing for about 4 years and got terribly out of shape. I still liked the beers on a Saturday and a Sunday but hadn't done the exercise to 'earn them'

Missus moaned a bit, and to be honest I hated being unfit so I joined the gym - easy bit - and stuck at it.- hard bit. Now been going for about 3 years and am fitter than I was 10 years ago.

I try and go every weekday, even if it's only for an hour or even less, and then go for a decent sized run on a Sunday morning.

I actually haven't lost that much weight - still like the food and beer too much, however as somebody else said muscle is heavier than fat and although I haven't lost much weight I've lost a few inches round the waistline.

Just done my first Half Mararthon and have applied for the London Marathon next year, although I don't yet know if I've got in.

Good Luck!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I went running along the seafront in that rain tonight. I would NOT recommend that to anyone, it was fooking horrible. What a cock! :jester:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Nah bollocks. Exercise is for losers with no friends and nothing better to do with their time.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
smudge said:
Lard arse!!!!! :wave:

Get regular exercise in your daily routine and you don't have to be jogging along the promenade in stupid shorts looking like a ponce to keep fit.

I can happily spend that time in the pub knocking back the pints to celebrate my effortlessly svelte figure.

Have fun running loser :wave:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
My girlfriends diets all the time and has passed on a few tips.

Drink plenty of water

Cut down the amount of bread, pastries that you eat in the day.

Go for Red milk, it looks like crap and tastes like water

Stay away from cheese

Cut down on Alcohol.

Have a small breakfast, something light at lunch and proper meal in the evening. Go for loads of vegetables.

Increase your exercise.

I can gaurantee you, that eventually you will lose weight.

Its not going to happen overnight. I lost a stone in two months by the following the above, and I have still kept the stone off becuase I watch what I eat.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
One of the problems with getting old is that your metabolism slows down. I'm now in my 50s and am a very careful eater and drinker and I take regular exercise yet I cannot for the life of me loose weight. It's aggravating because people assume you eat a steady diet of junk food and beer when nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
adrian29uk said:

Drink plenty of water

Stay away from cheese

Cut down on Alcohol.

Have a small breakfast, something light at lunch and proper meal in the evening. Go for loads of vegetables.

Increase your exercise.

Its not going to happen overnight. I lost a stone in two months by the following the above, and I have still kept the stone off becuase I watch what I eat.
That sounds about right, although the only thing I dispute with diets is how much difference low fat milk actually makes. If you drink a pint a day then fair enough, but if all you have it in is cereal and tea I can't see how an extra 20 or so calories (less if you use semi skimmed) is going to make a difference as long as you're excercising to burn it off.
Also, unless you're trying to build muscle, alcohol should read beer. You'll be ok sticking to shorts all night.
Breakfast is important because it kick-starts your metabolism in the morning and starts burning energy. If you skip breakfast your body goes into starvation mode and burns as little as possible with fat being it's least preferred energy source - the opposite of what you want. It should consist of something high in fibre, which will release the energy slowly.
Snacking in between meals is acceptable, but should should consist of fruit or nuts.
The most important thing on the list is excercise.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only thing I would dispute is the amounts eaten and the timing, it is no use saving the biggest meal for the evening, then sitting down bloated in front of the TV afterwards. It is far better, using the old analogy, to breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. That way your body has a whole day when you are awake to metabolise the food you put into it and use the energy it provides, you are therefore hungriest (but using the least energy) when you are actually asleep. However I would definitely agree with the snacking bit between meals, restrict it to a piece of fruit, something like a banana will sustain you until your next meal, without having to resort to something like a mars bar, plus it is full of good stuff.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Rangdo said:
Get regular exercise in your daily routine and you don't have to be jogging along the promenade in stupid shorts looking like a ponce to keep fit.

I can happily spend that time in the pub knocking back the pints to celebrate my effortlessly svelte figure.

Have fun running loser :wave:

f***ing hell, touched a nerve there fat boy. When was the last time you saw your knob? When you find it, try giving it a tug & get rid of some of that stress. Might burn a few calories too!

:lolol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
adrian29uk said:

Drink plenty of water

Stay away from cheese

Cut down on Alcohol.

Increase your exercise.

Reading your post there fella I think beer & cheese have been my downfall in putting on the weight so i've cut them down to a once a week treat now. Crisps, chocolate, pastries and biscuits i can live without so they've been done away with and the maximum bread I eat a day is 2 slices of wholemeal. I never use marg or butter on toast or in a sandwich because i dont like it and I can live with skimmed milk except in coffee when I use semi-skimmed. My average daily meals are now consisting of, breakfast: eather muesli, fruit & fibre or porridge(made with water and chopped up dried fruit in it) lunch: Sandwich(often tuna mixed with a bit of tomato ketchup) fresh fruit and maybe a yoghurt. Dinner: Things like skinned chicken or fish, pasta, veg or salad. Any snacks are either dried or fresh fruit or maybe some nuts.

I've often wondered how much shift work affects the body in that you never get regular eating/sleeping times.

Stumpy Tim

Gully said:
The only thing I would dispute is the amounts eaten and the timing, it is no use saving the biggest meal for the evening, then sitting down bloated in front of the TV afterwards. It is far better, using the old analogy, to breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. That way your body has a whole day when you are awake to metabolise the food you put into it and use the energy it provides, you are therefore hungriest (but using the least energy) when you are actually asleep. However I would definitely agree with the snacking bit between meals, restrict it to a piece of fruit, something like a banana will sustain you until your next meal, without having to resort to something like a mars bar, plus it is full of good stuff.

Spot on.... And if you're hungry during the day just eat an apple... works a treat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here