Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Forlan

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I can see it now, Richard Reynolds before the game, with the players on the big screen,,

Number 8, Diego Forlan....
Number 9, Ashley Barnes.....

Lol

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I really don't get this constant sniping at Barnes :shrug:

I wont sit on the fence, and I do agree Barnes does put in a shift. But his first touch is poor, his finishing is all to often very poor and when he does find himself in a great position he all too often bottles it and tries to put someone else in, who is in a worse position than himself...I know this fly's in the face of public opinion but I think this coming season, will be make or brake for him. I can't believe Poyet see's Barnes as a long term member of his first team. Time will tell.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Forlan will sign for Inter of Brazil today.
Sorry to end the dream.

Complete dogshit, it's Claudio Ranieri (the other player we're targeting) who's signing for Young Boys of Brazil (James Mason in goal) today. Diego Forlan is very much a For(lan)gone conclusion to be signing for the Albion in the next 65 hours apparently.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Sorry. I forgot the pulling power the Amex and Gus has with these so called international super stars.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I think that we need to be realistic, take everything into account. Here i've put together a list of positives and negatives that mean he could be on his way to the Amex:

Positives-:
1. Gus has already called him his best friend in Uruguay, so there is the chance he'll do it for a pal.
2. We could offer him first team football and idol status that he might not get at other clubs.
3. He could shoot to fame once more in the english game, not bad for 33.
4. Being 33, he surely wants as much first team football as possible, why not do it as a swansong?
5. He's had a couple of bad seasons recently so not drumming up much interest.

Negatives-:
1. Wages, not only this but he also vowed to make as much money as possible for his sister's charity as mentioned in the thread.
2. We're Brighton and Hove Albion, and as much as Gus is pally with him, he could go to any top division club if he wanted to.

Even though there are seemingly more positives, the negatives are far too strong to ignore.

Likeliness rating: 1/10 (its not impossible)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think that we need to be realistic, take everything into account. Here i've put together a list of positives and negatives that mean he could be on his way to the Amex:

Positives-:
1. Gus has already called him his best friend in Uruguay, so there is the chance he'll do it for a pal.
2. We could offer him first team football and idol status that he might not get at other clubs.
4. Being 33, he surely wants as much first team football as possible, why not do it as a swansong?

Negatives-:
1. Wages, not only this but he also vowed to make as much money as possible for his sister's charity as mentioned in the thread.
2. We're Brighton and Hove Albion, and as much as Gus is pally with him, he could go to any top division club if he wanted to.

Even though there are seemingly more positives, the negatives are far too strong to ignore.

He's 33 so is more than likely to return home for a couple of seasons,no chance what's so ever he'll be here.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
I wont sit on the fence, and I do agree Barnes does put in a shift. But his first touch is poor, his finishing is all to often very poor and when he does find himself in a great position he all too often bottles it and tries to put someone else in, who is in a worse position than himself...I know this fly's in the face of public opinion but I think this coming season, will be make or brake for him. I can't believe Poyet see's Barnes as a long term member of his first team. Time will tell.

i totally agree kevtherev

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton

Positives-:

Negatives-:

I didn't mean for this to turn into a full blown rumour lads I was just projecting lol you know with the Uruguay link but let's all transfer him to Brighton on FIFA/football manager just for fun,

Although he would defiantly fill gem status for Gus

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I wish people would stop spoiling these threads with their realistic and sensible opinions.

Now, lets start thinking about who best to partner Forlan up front...

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
Albion dream team anyone? We are now have unlimited funds who do you go for including forlan?

I'd have:

GK:Joe Hart
LB:phillip Lahm
CB:Mats Hummels
CB:Vincent Kompany
RB:Dani Alves
CDM:Andrea Pirlo
CM:Marek Hamsek
CM:Yaya Toure
LW:Lavezzi
RW:Eden Hazard
ST: Diego Forlan

And obviously take Edison Cavani as my striker on the bench, I'd keep Buckley and Bridcutt in aswell and for when we were battering teams I'd put Barnes on to make everyone laugh :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wish people would stop spoiling these threads with their realistic and sensible opinions.

Now, lets start thinking about who best to partner Forlan up front...

Raul of course. Are you not paying attention?

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
If Barnes scores 30 I will quite happily invest in the spiderman costume in my avatar and wear it to every game for the rest of my life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here